SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Flying with Sig
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Flying with Sig Login/Join 
posted
I know about the locked hard case my question is this:

Is a hard plastic case like a Sig case that CAN be locked with a padlock through holes in the case acceptable for the airlines. Then this case would be put in one's suitcase. My question is only this: Is a hard plastic case like a Sig case secured with a padlock acceptable with the airlines?

Posts: 13 | Registered: July 09, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, it is acceptable. You won't have any difficulty with that case, other than its size, in your luggage.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Yes. I would also add a cable to hopefully attach your sig hard case to the framework of the outside piece of luggage.

That way less chance of someone liberating your sig gun case from your outside case.

Posts: 3724 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Dito on the above.... the last couple of times I flew I also cabled the case to the inside frame of my checked bag. But I, in my paranoia, have one case for this that I have painted my last name on in bright florescent 3" letters top and bottom. I figure there are probably just as many security cameras in the crew areas of an airport as in the sheeple area... maybe even more.

I have a question for anyone who has recently flown Delta.... it's been over two years since I flew and that time it was American. Have they stopped putting the nylon straps on you checked bag that contains a firearm? Back when they were doing this I would have to gamble with either a cheap knife or pair of nail clippers stuck in an exterior zipped pouch on the luggage so that I could get these off right after leaving the airport (usually the car rental place) so I could get into my suitcase and load up and carry.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I figure there are probably just as many security cameras in the crew areas of an airport as in the sheeple area... maybe even more.

I have a question for anyone who has recently flown Delta.... it's been over two years since I flew and that time it was American. Have they stopped putting the nylon straps on you checked bag that contains a firearm?

Crew will not have access to your luggage. It's handled separately.

I'm not aware of any cases of crew taking anything from passenger luggage.

Marking your luggage externally to indicate a firearm, is not allowed.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sns3guppy:
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
I figure there are probably just as many security cameras in the crew areas of an airport as in the sheeple area... maybe even more.

I have a question for anyone who has recently flown Delta.... it's been over two years since I flew and that time it was American. Have they stopped putting the nylon straps on you checked bag that contains a firearm?

Crew will not have access to your luggage. It's handled separately.

I'm not aware of any cases of crew taking anything from passenger luggage.

Marking your luggage externally to indicate a firearm, is not allowed.

I just flew Delta in August and they zip tied my suitcase shut with 4 large zip ties. YMMV.

Posts: 668 | Location: NH | Registered: December 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Villebilly Deluxe
posted Hide Post
I would suggest putting the lock on the case and then seeing if it will open even a little. I had a Delta employee check my case that way once. He said if it opened even slightly he would refuse to accept it.

Posts: 393 | Location: Bluegrass State | Registered: February 09, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You still must go to the ticket counter and declare the firearm to the ticket counter agent. Be sure it is empty, and no loose ammunition. They will very empty, then you lock the case, and put it in your checked baggage and they take the bag.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How the firearm is handled varies by the location. By regulation, no external marking of the suitcase, identifying it as containing a firearm, is allowed. This is federal regulation.

The airline has every right to inspect the the firearm. Sometimes the airline does. Sometimes TSA does. It's rare I've had a counter agent to look at a firearm.

Lock up the firearm; open the case if requested. Otherwise, leave it locked. Some places will ask you to remain nearby in case, they need it opened, before the bag is sent down the conveyor. Some places will have you take it to a separate inspection location.