SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Shockwave SBS and ATF Form 1. Questions? UPDATE: Answered!
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shockwave SBS and ATF Form 1. Questions? UPDATE: Answered! Login/Join 
posted
So... I finally picked up a Mossberg Shockwave at a decent price. Since the "Stabilizing Brace" is no longer legal, I would like to add an AR collapsible stock to it. From what I understand, just as soon as I put this stock on the gun, I could wind up roommates with the Unabomber. I was on the ATF website and looked over ATF Form 1 (all 13 pages) and I think I can muddle through it.
Questions:
Whats the turnaround time these days?
Does the $200 bucks, the fingerprints and the application all go together to the same ATF office? I know I have to give a copy of the form to the Sheriff locally.
Is a trust better for my purpose? I dont think so.
If its approved, could I take off the AR stock and revert it to its original birdshead grip and not violate the terms of the Form 1?
Thanks in advance!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: YooperSigs,

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
First I've heard a brace isn't legal.

The ATF requested comments in their Form 4999 and received 120,000. They will release their final determination in January 2022. Until then current legal interpretations stand AFAIK.

Working thru the proposed form, I believe my AR would remain legal, with brace. Nonetheless I'm waiting for a more final determination. And the Shockwave got onto my "next gun" list, some day maybe they will get back into stock. A differential locker for my truck has priority now.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Last time I checked, the brace is legal as long as it doesn't REDUCE the length of the shotgun.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
As everyone else said, the brace is still legal.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Since the "Stabilizing Brace" is no longer legal

Is that a Michigan-specific thing?

Posts: 32506 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you want to be able to use a stock, you'll need to register it as a Short Barreled Shotgun (SBS). Form 1 making tax is $200 regardless of the type of NFA Firearm made. AOWs can't have stocks as it changes the definitions because the manufacturer (you in the case of a Form 1) is creating a shoulder fired weapon with a stock. If your state allows SBSs.

To answer your question about making it an SBS and then taking off the stock and only using the birds head grip... you can reconfigure it without violating the NFA.

IF you only want an AOW to reduce the barrel lenghth and not add a stock, have an SOT reduce the overall length below 26" (maybe with a vertical pistol grip and/or reducing the barrel length and feed tube). They can tax-exempt Form 1 the Shockwave as an AOW under their license. Then they can Form 4 transfer to you for only $5 transfer tax... although they may charge $100+ for the "manufacture and transfer" for their time.

** The government who robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul. **

Posts: 127 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: March 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The SBS is Michigan legal. The reason I felt the brace was no longer legal is because everywhere I looked for them, including SBs site, has them listed as "no longer available".
And I just want the brace, not necessary to go AOW.
Update:
I found a brace kit finally. Its not the SB, but it should do until the ATF decides what it plans to do.
Thanks for the help!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16088 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
"No longer available' is a tell nobody wants these in stock if the ATF finally goes sideways with it. Lots of Brace retailers put them on "closeout" pricing and cleared their shelves months ago.

We're all just sitting around and waiting.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Question, as an SBS do you have to engrave the receiver with your name and address?

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
Yes, if you "make" an NFA item on a Form 1, it needs to have the maker's information. Since you're the maker, your info has to go on there, in addition to manufacturer's marks that were already on there. Goes for making SBRs, SBSs, suppressors, etc.

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
E-file form 1 ( make your own) is about ~30 days plus $200 and engraving. Don’t put the stock in before you get the permission slip of course

Posts: 4764 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any ATF determination and rule that restricts braces is going to get challenged in court as an arbitrary change to something they permitted for a decade that will make millions of law abiding gun owners that aren't technical firearms experts into instant felons, most of them unknowingly.

My Shockwave has a MESA Tactical buffer tube adapter and an SBA4 brace. Length of gun and buffer tube is longer than 26". If they make a stupid rule I will put a fixed length pistol tube on it with an SB Mini cuff brace that meets the letter of the rule.

Posts: 4713 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ElToro:
E-file form 1 ( make your own) is about ~30 days plus $200 and engraving. Don’t put the stock in before you get the permission slip of course

I called to check the status of my Form 1 (sent by USPS) and was told that it's processing, but these are now taking 5-6 months vs the 30 day turnaround I experienced previously. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My last two E-filed Form 1’s took 17 days from submission, receipt of fingerprints to approval.

With the addition of Form 4’s on 12/21 that will likely increase turnaround time.

Posts: 458 | Location: Ocala, FL 34478 | Registered: December 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
USPS forms take MUCH longer than e-filing.

Posts: 17144 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post