SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New 320-XTEN Comp - Range Report at Top
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New 320-XTEN Comp - Range Report at Top Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Range Report

Finally got out to the range today and shot it along side my 5" XTEN. Put 100 rounds Winchester 180gr FMJ, 40 rounds Winchester 175gr Silvertips and 40 rounds Underwood 200gr hardcast downrange. Only hiccup was on one magazine with the Silvertips I used the slide release instead of slingshotting the slide and the 1st round failed to chamber. Cleared it, reloaded the round in the mag and slingshotted into battery with no issues.

I'm really impressed with this pistol. After all of the issues I've had with my Smith 4" M&P 10, it was nice to go to the range, have no issues with the gun and be able to shoot it really well.

Trigger on this gun is light, I haven't measured but it feels significantly lighter than my 5" which I thought was good. I definitely need more practice with it as I was not able to cleanly execute double taps with it. I was worried about muzzle flash and blast with the port but it is a non-issue. Not quite a non-issue, the upwards facing port was dislodging dust and debris from the rafters of the indoor range that snowed down on top of me. Accuracy was good with the Winchester 180gr loads and great with the Silvertips and the Underwood. Point of aim at 25 yards with the Silvertips and Underwood, slightly low with the Winchester 180gr. loads.

The gun is soft shooting for a 10mm even with the Underwood loads. There is a noticeable difference in felt recoil between the Comp and the 5" with the Comp having a gentler push reward, less muzzle flip and quicker to get back on target. The Comp also feels more balanced and not nearly as muzzle heavy as the 5". On paper it's only 1" shorter, but in reality the improvement in balance is disproportionate. The mags are typical Sig X TEN, stiff magazine springs, the 15th round is a bitch to get in and forget about topping them off to 15 after chambering a round.

Looking forward to getting more rounds through it and starting the search for holsters. It's definitely going to be in the carry rotation this summer. I'm still keeping my 5" and carrying it in a chest holster when I'm not worried about concealment.

It's just a fun gun to shoot!

Original Post:

Well I sold one of my .40 S&W's I had on consignment and put the money towards this,

P320-XTEN Comp. Hoping to get out to the range with it this weekend. Already have the 5" which has been flawless which I shoot very well. Hoping this is a replacement for my S&W M&P 10mm in 4" which has been very problematic. I've got it running now, but with the history I have with that pistol I'm not sure I could ever trust it.

Quick observations, there are differences between this and the 5". The XComp does have a double captive recoil spring assembly that's different from the 5". Also the slide on the XComp is slightly higher than the 5". On my 5" the top of the slide is almost flush with the barrel hood, on the XComp the top of the slide is about higher than the barrel hood. The difference is enough where the XComp does not fit in my Gunfighter's Inc. chest holster my 5" rides in.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thread here:

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...770011605#3770011605

JM Custom Kydex makes appendix, owb, iwb and range holsters for this model.

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
Thanks for confirming the holsters aren't the same. I've asked Crossbreed and received conflicting answers. They don't have one for the Comp yet.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good info on the holsters. I'm looking forward to your range report, especially how you feel it compares to the 5" gun. I've had a chance to shoot the 5", but not the shorter comp model yet.

Hopefully you get much better performance out of this one than the M&P!

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Love mine. I've got about 1600 flawless rounds through mine so far. Very very accurate and very smooth shooting due to the comp. At 15 and 25 yds on 6" & 8" plates it's almost impossible to miss.

I ordered a holster and mag carrier from 4Bros and it's my new carry pistol. 16 rounds of 10mm beats 17 rounds of 9mm any day in my book.

Posts: 5 | Registered: November 17, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have lived the
greatest adventure
Picture of AUTiger89
posted Hide Post
I did confirm with Crossbreed that they don't yet have a holster for the Comp. I'm on their waiting list when they release one.

quote:
Originally posted by AUTiger89:
Thanks for confirming the holsters aren't the same. I've asked Crossbreed and received conflicting answers. They don't have one for the Comp yet.

Phone's ringing, Dude.

Posts: 6045 | Location: Upstate SC | Registered: April 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have appendix and range own holsters for the X Ten Comp from JM. Put the range holster on a Safariland QLS fork. Like this pistol enough, we got a second one for my wife. Mounted a SCS-320, which direct mounts without a plate.

The only stoppage I have experienced between the two pistols was when I inadvertently loaded fifteen plus one cartridges, which locked it up good.

It is very flat shooting, as you can see in this short video.

https://youtu.be/of2X1upq7Pw?feature=shared

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Range report at top.

Posts: 11768 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Well damn. I've been watching the Taurus TH10 with interest because the size and DA/SA action is appealing to me, but the more I learn about it, the more it looks like a typical Taurus turd.

I'm not a big striker-fired guy, but I am already invested in the P320 platform, and this thing really does check a lot of boxes. The fact that it fed Underwood is a huge plus in my book, and I like the smaller form-factor although I'd still like to see them make a true compact.

Do you have any idea what the difference is in muzzle velocity between the comp and the 5" with a given load? Also, how's the chamber support? Did you get a chance to examine any of the brass (particularly the Underwood) for bulges?

Posts: 8573 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
No case bulging at all, chamber support appears to be very good. No flattened, pierced or blown out primers. Various reviews I've read say 30-60fps less with the Comp over the 5".

Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's good to hear, thanks!

Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
One other difference I noticed while cleaning today, the slide on the Comp is also slightly wider than the 5".

posted Hide Post
Which is why holsters for the five inch don't work for the Comp.