September 11, 2026, 01:04 PM
VaftocrS&W 3rd Gen vs M&P Shields
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I have sold both my Shields and carry pistols similar to the 3rd gen. I keep thinking I should buy a 5906 to replace the one I carried as a young man.
https://athlonoutdoors.com/article/smith-wesson-5906/
Great article. I always have my eye for a 2nd one.
September 12, 2026, 02:32 PM
AITGI bought a first generation Shield and it didn't fit my hand. I happily sold it. The first non-Glock I bought was a CS9. I still have it and I would happily carry it long before I go back to the M and P guns or anything chambered in 380. On the other hand, I discovered CZs. Guns that truly fit my hand and don't have a manual safety. I carry Glocks for business and CZs for range fun.
September 12, 2026, 04:24 PM
bac1023quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I have sold both my Shields and carry pistols similar to the 3rd gen. I keep thinking I should buy a 5906 to replace the one I carried as a young man.
https://athlonoutdoors.com/article/smith-wesson-5906/
I've had a couple 5906 pistols over the years. I kept the target variants, including this long slide.
September 12, 2026, 10:39 PM
Vaftocrquote:
Originally posted by bac1023:
quote:
Originally posted by 4MUL8R:
I have sold both my Shields and carry pistols similar to the 3rd gen. I keep thinking I should buy a 5906 to replace the one I carried as a young man.
https://athlonoutdoors.com/article/smith-wesson-5906/
I've had a couple 5906 pistols over the years. I kept the target variants, including this long slide.
You don’t see too many of the long slides. Beautiful weapon.
September 13, 2026, 03:58 PM
JDSigManiacWhat I wouldn’t give for Smith to reintroduce and support the 3913 or 6906.
September 13, 2026, 05:25 PM
jljonesI have found that both guns are still plentiful, but support is terribly expensive in some instances.
I have that old third gen Smith itch. Along with old Smith revolver itch. And it’s never the guns themselves that stop me short. It is the cost of support that gets me. The limited number of holsters available. I saw magazines for a 4506 on GB last night for $200 per. Saw 10xx mags NIB listed at $399. Wow.