SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations for 10mm Auto woods gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Recommendations for 10mm Auto woods gun Login/Join 
Member
posted
The “hoods to woods” thread got me thinking about a 10 mm for a woods gun. Hiking will be in NC/Tennessee/Smoky Mountains area. I’ve done some online looking but would like opinions on what you think of these options:

-1911 by Ruger or Springfield. I like hammer driven guns, and the all metal should help with recoil. Is 8+1 enough??

-1911 double stack by Kimber. Not sure about a new design

-polymer frame Glock or Springfield XD. More capacity, but “just another” polymer striker fired pistol. I have XDs, and like their ergonomics better on a large frame pistol.

I know to load with heavy hard cast ammo, and I’m comfortable with those platforms, so I’m not worried about learning a new platform.

What’s your opinion and experiences?

Thanks
 
Posts: 234 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
I've been planning on a 10mm for a few months now; since I've trained with striker & DA/SA, I decided to go with the P220 10mm instead of the 1911 platform. What have you trained with? That's the manual of arms you'll revert to when your adrenaline kicks in.
One of my instructors picked up the P220 10mm Legion earlier in the year and absolutely loves it; the weight does a great job absorbing the 10mm kick.


_____________________________________
P220, P225, P226, P228, P229 Legion, P230, P230SL, P239, 38H, P365, P365 faux Legion, M17X, M17 Full, M18, P210 Standard, P210 Carry Custom Works, SP2022
 
Posts: 475 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking a Glock model 40 or a P220 Elite would serve you well.




 
Posts: 10491 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I’d have to back up to the idea if a potentially heavier 10mm gun is even necessary? Don’t mean to be a downer on a gun forum, but any likelihood of needing large critter defense in TN is very low.

One could split the baby by getting the very best suited ammo for the smaller cartridge.

As a reference I have a relative that has run bear baits in the upper Midwest for decades. He doesn’t even carry any handgun running the baits, at times his helpers do carry. He only carries on recoveries, retrieving a bear a hunter shot or shot at.

I’m more in the middle, but am content with a lighter gun.

But by all means, nothing wrong with getting the 10mm, if desired.
 
Posts: 7580 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
Ensure that you are aware of the legal requirements of the hiking areas.

My experience is that heavy weapons are not hiking friendly, especially in a sling bag.


-------
Trying to simplify my life...
 
Posts: 6313 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peripheral Visionary
Picture of tigereye313
posted Hide Post
Glock 20 is hard to beat for that role, especially if the weight of a steel gun would be tiring after a while while hiking. Recoil is easily managed on the 20.




 
Posts: 11496 | Location: Texas | Registered: January 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of mrprovy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:

One could split the baby by getting the very best suited ammo for the smaller cartridge.


I have shot the Remington +P .45 ammo (rated @ 1040fps), and it's a significant upgrade in power of standard velocity .45 ammo...very much so a Hand Cannon!


_____________________________________
P220, P225, P226, P228, P229 Legion, P230, P230SL, P239, 38H, P365, P365 faux Legion, M17X, M17 Full, M18, P210 Standard, P210 Carry Custom Works, SP2022
 
Posts: 475 | Location: New Yorkistan | Registered: April 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
G20, hands down

 
Posts: 114994 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a g20 and a delta but I’m looking at the FN510 tactical. I only shoot factory ammo or buffalo bore/double tap

Was at the range last week with my son. Shooting 9mm and 22lr. Dude down the way is launching a serious cannon. When we are done we stop by and chat him up. All custom steel frame 2011 and 1911 10mm with buffers and heavy springs starts telling me about his hand loads… 200 grains at 1400-1600 fps !!
Says he won’t shoot his hand loads in any polymer gun. Take it for what it’s worth when shooting nuclear loads if you decide to go that route.
 
Posts: 5616 | Location: Florida Panhandle  | Registered: November 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
G20 in a GunfightersINC Kenai chest rig for me. The 10mm has a wide variety of ammo that lets you choose what works best for you.


End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles
 
Posts: 17814 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
For almost 10 years, my Upper Peninsula woods gun has been a Glock 40 MOS with Delta Point Pro mounted. It is loaded with 200 grain hard cast lead flat point ammunition from Underwood. At the time of purchase, I was looking for a Glock 20 MOS but could not find one. I settled for the G40. I have not found the extra barrel length a hindrance. It is an awesome machine.
 
Posts: 710 | Location: Ohio & UP of Michigan | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Glock 20 (for me it's actually a 21 with a 10mm conversion barrel) is my choice. Nice balance of capacity and weight and it's just a Glock so I don't worry about it getting banged up.
 
Posts: 38 | Registered: July 29, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Although the most dangerous animal on the planet is man, I have no disagreement with the Glock 20.
 
Posts: 32116 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's good for those, too.
 
Posts: 114994 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Gonna hop on the Glock 20 train too! I’ve shot my 1993 model 20 extensively and also owned a Delta Elite. Despite a 24 pound recoil spring the Glock 20 has to me, significantly less felt recoil than my previous Colt. Very accurate too
 
Posts: 161 | Location: Kyle Texas | Registered: August 23, 2025Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Probably be some time from now, but when they release a Gen 6 G20 I'll be first in line.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8056 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I'm in Montana. I wear bear bells on my belt, along with bear spray, and in my Gunfighter chest rig I carry a 10MM S&W M&P 2.0 loaded with Underwood Hard Cast flat nose 200 gr. Or HSM (Montana sourced Bear Load) 200 gr hard cast flat nose. The Underwood is rated at 1250 fps, HSM is a bit slower at 1040 fps.



_____________

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx
 
Posts: 85 | Location: Ravalli County, MT | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
Thank y’all for your replies!

Looks like Glock gets the overwhelming support.

Question to SourDough: do you think a .40 with hardcast will be ok in the region I’m considering?
 
Posts: 234 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
P220 or 1911 since you like hammer guns but a G20/G40 would be hard to beat. Or a 357 or 44 mag.


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 8488 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
[

Question to SourDough: do you think a .40 with hardcast will be ok in the region I’m considering?[/QUOTE]

First off I like the 10mm, but don’t have one. My ‘bear handgun’ is the 4.2” Ruger Redhawk in 45 Colt. I use ‘Ruger only’ handloads with heavier Cast Performance bullets, max charge of Win-296. I only carry this gun when I feel the need.

This year at bear camp there were 4 hunters, 2 bears bagged, single shots. After that one bear slightly wounded, zero blood after less than 70 yards. Yes we looked the next morning also.

The next hunter hit a tree while trying to shoot at a walking bear, critter exited unharmed.

The main guide has used a 40 S&W, and a semi-auto shotgun with slugs over the years to finish off a wounded bear. I did provide him some factory loaded hardcast in 40 after he complained about poor penetration with his standard SP/HP loads, not used yet for recovery.

I do think 40 S&W hardcast loads would be better than poor 10mm loads. Of course one could get hardcast type 10mm loads. I accept, the 10 has more power than the 40.

I’m a probability and percentage guy, that’s the main thing. Are we out around the edges of Yellowstone park or a stream in AK? If so, the chance goes up a little, more yet compared to TN.

I was in Utah this Summer, some hiking with the son. It’s one thing to walk 1 mile with whatever, but 5 miles in, serious elevation change, 3 extra pounds can get heavy. Maybe it’s better to use that for water, food, etc..

I do have a chest holster for my Redhawk, others. Unless one finds themselves between a mom & cubs, an adverse encounter with a bear is a low probability in the SE USA. That’s the main part of my reasoning, nothing against the 10mm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...cks_in_North_America


Some of these events are unusual, many ended up after food near people.
 
Posts: 7580 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations for 10mm Auto woods gun

© SIGforum 2026