SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations for 10mm Auto woods gun
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Reply
  
Recommendations for 10mm Auto woods gun Login/Join 
Member
posted Hide Post
Makes sense, SourDough.

Thanks!
 
Posts: 234 | Registered: December 29, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
I enjoy and learn much from Tim Sundles YouTube channel.
Tim owns Buffalo Bore ammo Co. and also owns a hunting camp in Africa.
He has posted many YouTube videos on Bear and many other dangerous game hunting and personal protection. He has addressed the 10mm and suggested handguns and how to carry them, the pluses and minuses of all.
I would spend some time on his channel and learn from a expert on the best combinations of guns, ammo and holsters.
The most outstanding theme he always mentions about bears is that they are not that hard to kill unless your dealing with large Grizzles or Alaskan Brown bears.

https://www.youtube.com/@TimSu...-BuffaloBoreAmmuniti
 
Posts: 5368 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
I enjoy and learn much from Tim Sundles YouTube channel.
Tim owns Buffalo Bore ammo Co. and also owns a hunting camp in Africa.
He has posted many YouTube videos on Bear and many other dangerous game hunting and personal protection. He has addressed the 10mm and suggested handguns and how to carry them, the pluses and minuses of all.
I would spend some time on his channel and learn from a expert on the best combinations of guns, ammo and holsters.
The most outstanding theme he always mentions about bears is that they are not that hard to kill unless your dealing with large Grizzles or Alaskan Brown bears.

https://www.youtube.com/@TimSu...-BuffaloBoreAmmuniti


Couldn't agree more. I've watched many of those. I've got 10mm, 44 Magnum, and 45-70 hard cast to shoot in various firearms so I think I'm covered.

Theres also a good video from on Spomer where an older gentleman says you 100% need a lanyard if bears are a serious concern.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8056 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
While I would also want something “cooler” (more alone with your initial thought)if I just wanted a fun 10mm, I would definitely want a Glock 20 for a woods/knock around/bad weather etc. gun. Lighter, probably more reliable, easier to maintain/clean etc. it just makes more “practical sense” IMO.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8800 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I'm in Montana. I wear bear bells on my belt,


I swear I read that as “bear balls on my belt” and thought “well shit, if I was a bear I’d damn sure avoid you.” Big Grin


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8800 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
I have a Gen 5 Glock 20 with HSM hard cast rounds. When we go camping, I have a mags of JHP and a mags of hard cast. In the camp or traveling the JHP which I swap out for hard cast when hiking or picking huckleberries or chokecherries.

Just a thought about Buffalo Bore ammo. I bought a box several years ago and it was jam-o-matic in my Gen3 G-20. Long story short, it was out of speck. I at first thought it was my Lone Wolf barrel but they asked for both the ammo and the barrel. They checked both and when they sent everything back, they had the specs for the rounds which were all over the place. They ID about five rounds they said were OK to shoot and cautioned about shooting the rest of it. The barrel specked out properly.

Buffalo Bore ignored me when I tried to contact them. I know many like BB but I’ve been leery of them ever since.


__________________________

 
Posts: 13041 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Well as one who owns both a Dan Wesson 1911 Razorback in 10mm and a Glock Gen 5 G20, I’ll try nd answer your questions.

I shoot hardcast through both, usually Underwood 200gr. Testing various factory loads over a chronograph the Underwood consistently delivered more velocity with less variation shot to shot. I tend to shy away from Buffalo Bore having experienced blown out primers in both my 1911 and my Glock.

While it is lighter the Glock is actually more comfortable to shoot. I think it’s a combination of a wider grip and a smooth backstrap that doesn’t have a grip safety. My 1911 did require a stiffer recoil spring than what came from the factory when I started shooting hotter loads. It’s also a maintenance thing that I replace on a yearly basis with a new 22lb. spring. Both have been reliable for me as long as I keep up with the recoil spring in the 1911.

On the Glock I was able to mount a Holosun 509T red dot sight. I like the 509T in that it is a clamping method to mount and I worry less about shear in the mounting screws. Between the ability to mount an optic, lighter weight, higher capacity and simplicity, I find myself carrying the Glock a lot more and my Razorback spends most of it’s time in the safe. For me the Gen 5 was a game changer. Glocks have never pointed naturally for me and I don’t have that issue with the Gen 5.

While I have shot and carried 1911’s for years, I’ve kind of decided when it comes to a woods gun here in Alaska, I’m going to be carrying either a DA revolver or a striker fired pistol. Just the simplicity of point and pull the trigger makes sense to me in that scenario. I did have both an Sig XTen and XTen Comp, I liked both guns especially the Comp. But with the 320 issues I moved on. The thought of experiencing an uncommanded discharge while carrying the pistol in a chest holster under my life jacket while paddling a kayak in the middle of a lake in the middle of nowhere Alaska was absolutely terrifying.

I do have friends with Springfield XD’s in 10mm and they have been happy with them. Springfield also makes a compact 3.6” barrel model in 10mm which looks appealing. Another way to scratch the 10mm itch is with a revolver. My Smith 610 Mountain Gun is becoming one of my favorite revolvers. For me it’s a range toy as opposed to a carry gun. I also have a Ruger GP100 3” in 10mm that I absolutely love. It’s not a lightweight but it carries very well in an El Paso Saddlery pancake holster.




My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.
 
Posts: 12363 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
I have an SIG X-Ten that is a dream to shoot but it sits in the safe because of the problems SIG is having that the 2000Z-71 mentions above. I also have a Kimber Custom II GFO and Springfield XD-M with the 3.8" barrel. The Kimber is touchy with different ammo and I am still breaking it in. Very accurate pistol, just quirky with factory ammo like Federal and Aquila. I do reload and no problems with any of the three pistols with the reloads. The XD-M is a great pistol, small enough to carry concealed. My only complaint is the flared mag well. Probably going to spring for a G20 in the near future. I looked at the G29 but I liked the feel of the XD-M better.
 
Posts: 6119 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
quote:
I looked at the G29


While I am not a “10mm guy” the G29s I have shot have been remarkably forgiving as far as recoil and the 10mm goes. Just food for thought. I mean HOT 10mm will always have some pop to it but the G29 is a far softer shooting gun then it has any right to be IMO.


Take Care, Shoot Safe,
Chris
 
Posts: 8800 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
quote:
I'm in Montana. I wear bear bells on my belt,


I swear I read that as “bear balls on my belt” and thought “well shit, if I was a bear I’d damn sure avoid you.” Big Grin


Bear balls might help too! I also have a very life-like dead crow (styrofoam, but with a feathered head/body and beak, that I hang upside in the tree to discourage other crows setting up housekeeping, or even making a visit. Had one crow who came up and landed on top of the fencepost I had one hanging from--it looked at the "dead" decoy, and just took off.



_____________

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.
--Groucho Marx
 
Posts: 85 | Location: Ravalli County, MT | Registered: June 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
And for a woods gun, don't forget a bright WML for that G20. On mine, I've mounted a Streamlight TLR-1 HL-X.

1500 lumens with Streamlight's SL-B9 rechargeables. Quite the flamethrower.

Get a proper holster for it- preferably a chest rig as suggested- make sure you've got both hollowpoints and hardcast bullets for it, and you're all set.
 
Posts: 114994 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
If you’re looking for a belt holster, US Duty Gear had way more options for large frame Glocks compared to Safariland when I was looking last.
 
Posts: 10267 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of rambo
posted Hide Post
Went with a Glock 29 and a Kenai Chest Holster.


 
Posts: 278 | Registered: December 05, 1999Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
I have a G20 and a Ruger 1911 in 10mm. Of the two, for a hunting sidearm or hiking in bear country I would take the G20 with an optic and the aforementioned Streamlight over the 1911.
 
Posts: 2961 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Is Glock making/going to make a Gen 5/6 G20 or G40?


-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
 
Posts: 8488 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Is Glock making/going to make a Gen 5/6 G20 or G40?


I’d like to say eventually, but I don’t have faith in it happening anytime soon. I’ll be pleasantly surprised if it releases in the next couple years though.





Eight years to retirement! Just waiting!
 
Posts: 8056 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
  Powered by Social Strata Page 1 2  
 

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Recommendations for 10mm Auto woods gun

© SIGforum 2026