SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Safariland ALS & SLS Draw Par Times
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Safariland ALS & SLS Draw Par Times Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kidcop:
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Any tips on properly attacking the SLS? I keep my P226 in a safariland SLS/ALS holster and keep it handy in my den and practice a few draws daily. It still isn’t fully natural or 100%.

You can see the slowish speed of my draw here if interested

https://youtube.com/shorts/SNFuzghA8AM?feature=share

Revisit Rogue's first post. He does an excellent job of going through the specifics of drawing from the ALS/SLS rig.

The only thing I would add is that the key to speed and efficiency is to relax. Tight muscles are slow and need to be unlocked before they can move. From your video it looks like you've already gotten that concept. I don't know if it's "legal" in the discipline you're shooting in, but I teach a start position from the interview stance with the hands together at rest between the sternum and the belt buckle. The weapon hand falls to the gun while the reactionary hand ties into the body or lifts a cover garment.

All cadets are assigned homework (that should last for the duration of their gun-carrying career) to start each day with a number of "grips" of "1-counts" in which they get a good, proper one-handed grip of the pistol while in the holster. They don't have to necessarily draw the pistol, just establish a grip that doesn't need to be adjusted for the remainder of the draw or while shooting.

The hands-together at rest start position makes sense for cadets/cops but isn't allowed in any match I've ever shot. I saw Rogue's post after I posted my question and it sounds like I'm doing everything "right" but I guess I need to work on consistency and smoothness. The SLS is the awkward part; from there on getting the ALS to release and completing the draw occurs fairly naturally for me.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3184 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Any tips on properly attacking the SLS? I keep my P226 in a safariland SLS/ALS holster and keep it handy in my den and practice a few draws daily. It still isn’t fully natural or 100%.

You can see the slowish speed of my draw here if interested

https://youtube.com/shorts/SNFuzghA8AM?feature=share

I believe in hitting the SLS hood on a motion that pushes down and forward at the same time. This means coming in at almost a 45° angle or something instead of a two step down then forward process. This results in the thumb landing on the ALS lever and the fingers wrapping the grip will pull the thumb rearward to defeat the ALS.

My average A zone draw on a level III ALS/SLS holster (7360 or 6360) is about 1.25 with a gun with an optic. If I'm really on it, I can flirt with one second. My dry practice game is not as strong as it was.

As jbourneidentity mentioned, the process can be difficult to explain.

Posts: 5143 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post