SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Sig P226 take down lever now one solid piece (and Sig customer service is a joke)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sig P226 take down lever now one solid piece (and Sig customer service is a joke) Login/Join 
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted
So the take down lever in my 8-10 year old P226R shit the bed. The lever just spins and spins and doesn't take the gun down. Its a two piece design and this is the second P226 lever that has shit the bed on me in the past 10 years.

Nifty. I call Sig and expect some level of customer service. LMAO! HAHAHA, what a fucking joke. These guys are clowns. I must be original owner, and yes I must dig out the receipt from 10 years ago, scan it, and email it in to customer service. No exceptions. I bought this gun gently used. Too bad, get fucked they say.

I've only ever dealt with Glock, Ruger, and Smith and Wesson. I call. I need parts. They send parts for free. That's how a gun company should support their firearms.

Customer service will cut me a break though and sell me a new lever for $55 plus shipping. I go online and find the same exact part for $26 at an online retailer. I decide to save the $30 and buy it there.

When it arrives, it arrives in the Sig packaging. Made in India it says. Ok. Whatever. I inspect the new take down lever and see that it is now a one piece, machined design. This seams superior to me than the old two piece design, that can break and have your lever spin.

So, Sig customer service get a 0 out of 10. The new takedown lever, made in India, looks like a nice piece and should be more durable than legacy take down levers.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bubbatime,

Posts: 6668 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Glad you got your P226R running again for only $26 dollars.

Don't be botherin' Sig for repair parts, they're busy, they got stuff to do.

Posts: 15936 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGForum Official Hand Model
Picture of ThankGod4Sig
posted Hide Post
How have you broken (2) take down levers. Maybe you should go slightly easier on the next one

"da evil Count Glockula."-Para

Posts: 7906 | Location: C-bus, Ohio | Registered: December 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I started with nothing,
and still have most of it
Picture of stiab
posted Hide Post
That's a lot of cussing, you could have warned me before I started reading it.

"While not every Democrat is a horse thief, every horse thief is a Democrat." HORACE GREELEY

Posts: 1863 | Location: Central NC | Registered: May 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
It could be worse. You could have bought an STI / Staccato.

Their customer service is total and complete SHIT!

So at least you got shitty service for less than I did.

Frown

Posts: 9207 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
When it arrives, it arrives in the Sig packaging. Made in India it says. Ok. Whatever. I inspect the new take down lever and see that it is now a one piece, machined design.

It's metal injection molded, aka, MIM.

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had great customer service from S/W, Ruger and Glock. As mentioned above, parts free if needed and if the firearm needed warranty work, repaired well, quickly and with minimal BS.

Haven't had to use SIG customer service other than replacement front sights on my 220 which I considered to be a very poor service repair. It appeared SIG did not use a sight pusher but a steel hammer or punch instead.

Posts: 1458 | Location: Western WA | Registered: September 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Well, yeah. A few years back, I wanted to get the night sights replaced on my G17 house gun. I stripped the slide of all parts except for the channel liner and brought the slide over to Glock in Smyrna (the slide was going to sit in my truck for several hours while I attended the Blade Show. I figured I would minimize the loss if my vehicle was burglarized).

Well, it turns out that Glock no longer offered Trijicons. They had their own line of night sights, but I wanted Trijicons. Instead of saying "Sorry" and turning me away, the Glock rep said "Hang on a minute." He went in the back. About 15 minutes later he came back with my slide, with Trijicons installed. He explained that he dug around a bit and found a set and had a tech install them.

"Wow, great! Thank you! How much?"

"No charge. Since we no longer sell these sights, it's on the house."

It gets better.

I rolled the slide over in my hand, and what do I see? Extractor, striker, etc. Since the slide came in naked, they installed all the missing parts. Looking at prices online, it was more than a hundred dollars in parts, and that's not even including the free Trijicons. And they did not at that time, nor have they ever, asked me for any kind of receipt to prove original ownership.

On the way out, I found thirty-five cents in the parking lot. No, really. A dime and a quarter.

So, yeah, contrasting that with the customer service from other gun companies, I can see why gun owners get disillusioned.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107997 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Para, that's a great anecdote and testimonial. Thank you for sharing that.

Posts: 3201 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
It's one of those secrets that seems to fly past the folks that run corporations...

Go out of your way just a bit to make a customer feel good and they just might possibly say something good about you to a friend.... in contrast discount them and give them a hard time and they will go out of their way to tell everybody they meet about the bad experience.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I only dealt with Sig CS once, about 15 years ago, but it was terrible.

Around the same time I bought a Ruger Security Six that had a problem. Because it was broken the owner sold it to me for almost nothing. I called Ruger and told them the truth, that I’d bought it broken and was not the original owner, and they told me that they warranty the gun not the owner so they’d take it in and repair it for free.

In addition, since that gun was discontinued, if they could not fix it due to lack of parts, they would sell me a comparable firearm at cost. I was able to fix the gun myself but it is nice knowing Ruger treats their customers that way.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15261 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
<snip>
When it arrives, it arrives in the Sig packaging. Made in India it says. Ok. Whatever. I inspect the new take down lever and see that it is now a one piece, machined design. This seams superior to me than the old two piece design, that can break and have your lever spin.
<snip>

The current SIG take-down lever isn’t machined – it’s a MIM part. No problem though – MIM is fine for this part. And yes, much better than the old two-piece design.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 9100 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Walther P99 that a plastic bit just fell off one day during reassembly. The S&W company at the time wanted a bunch of money to look at it and fix it. I said no thanks and stuck it in back of safe. Fast forward a decade and I decided I needed to get rid of it and I won’t sell a broken gun so I would bite the bullet and pay them. Called them up and unlike the first time they sent a label fixed it for free.

Sig CS is hit or miss. Ruger is great. Beretta has been great to me. Replaced a cracked frame Cougar bought used and shot with a brand new 92FS.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Falcon
posted Hide Post
In my experience with Sig customer service, I wasn't enamored either. I'll continue to buy used Sig handguns for now but acknowledge that I'll most likely be on my own for any repairs or replacement parts that it may need.

Posts: 72 | Location: Alabama | Registered: September 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Had the slide lock lever (bit that engages the mag follower) break off on my P11. Called the Cocoa mothership & had a new one in my mailbox in under a week.

KT is lifetime warranty, but for the original owner. But, I do no recall them asking about ownership when I called.

Not sure how that would work now, with the P11 discontinued.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15490 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
So, yeah, contrasting that with the customer service from other gun companies, I can see why gun owners get disillusioned.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16797 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Greymann
posted Hide Post
I only dealt with Sig's CS once and it was positive. I needed some small parts for a Sig556 the CS rep. was very helpful and sent me the parts for free.
This happened in 2018.

Posts: 1595 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: March 21, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I was bummed by SIG the one time I reached out. I am the original owner of a 239 from Feb 2014 and the night sights are dead. Response was 100% covered in years 1-3, 50% in years 4-5 and then nothing else. I was hoping for a bit more empathy, but oh well. I still enjoy SIGs

Posts: 186 | Registered: April 23, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I've worked with 3 different CSRs. The first two were super to deal with, but they have moved up SIG's food chain. The current one leaves a lot to be desired. Outright lied to me about SIG not lubricating firearms after their tune-up services, when my gun came back dry. Promised to get back to me about replacing a cracked p228 frame but never did. That was almost 3 years ago. Contacted him again over a week ago. Cricket. Hey man, it's not like I'm asking for a free frame. Roll Eyes

Q

Posts: 26698 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
I’ve only had to interact with Sig CS once, when the extractor on my 1911 chipped. Now, the round count was way past the recommended number of rounds for replacing the extractor. The CSR offered to send me a free replacement, but they didn’t have any that weren’t going into new guns, and didn’t know when one would be available. So I paid for one from EGW, that are apparently more durable, according to reviews.

I’d say Sig’s CS is actually better than Walther or Browning.

Posts: 1508 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post