SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trijicon RMR HD and RCR Previewed and Oh Boy....
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trijicon RMR HD and RCR Previewed and Oh Boy.... Login/Join 
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I mean they all look stupid on top of a pistol. Might as well be a mailbox with the enclosed benefits and common mounting footprint.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7681 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
A few places have it up for preorder for $650. Primary Arms has it for $550 for LEOs.

I haven't decided if I want to upgrade my current RM06. If I can get work to pay for one for me to try, maybe. But I'm waiting for the chief to retire so we can make the RMRs optional. I think 90% of us are taking them off.

$550 is cheaper than MSRP which is nice and a little bit less of a jagged pill to swallow.

I am in the same boat with the RM06 decision. The problem I see, is that it will take some time for Safariland to release a duty holster for the new RCR which for me have an enclosed emitter is nice and the big draw eg not having to re-confirm zero again.

You speaking about a personally owned gun I assume?

------------------------------------------------

9/11/01 Never Forget

"In valor there is hope" - Tacitus

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sig 226:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chowser:

I have the adjustable RM06 on my personal gun. At work we have the autoadjust only version and when I barely passed instructor school (found out I have an astigmatism), I convinced work to get me the adjustable version as well. I already had lasik twice and my corneas couldn’t take another lasing so instead of glasses, I got the adjustable one on my duty gun as well.

Chief pretty much just says okay if I explain it a little.
I actually got him to approve almost half a mil this year to redo our range which was built in the 60s.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cooger
posted Hide Post
quote:
A few places have it up for preorder for $650. Primary Arms has it for $550 for LEOs.

I haven't decided if I want to upgrade my current RM06. If I can get work to pay for one for me to try, maybe. But I'm waiting for the chief to retire so we can make the RMRs optional. I think 90% of us are taking them off.

I’m curious about why you’re taking the RMRs off. Is there and issue with them?

Posts: 1516 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: December 05, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Guys refuse to train with them. Assistant Chief doesn’t like them.
I’m constantly telling people to go down and practice with someone. Unlimited ammo. Unlimited range time. No go.

We haven’t had any issues with the rmrs breaking down.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
quote:
Guys refuse to train with them. Assistant Chief doesn’t like them.
I’m constantly telling people to go down and practice with someone. Unlimited ammo. Unlimited range time. No go.

We haven’t had any issues with the rmrs breaking down.

And this may be the downfall for agency wide deployment.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
I mean they all look stupid on top of a pistol. Might as well be a mailbox with the enclosed benefits and common mounting footprint.

Actually it kind of reminds me of a toaster we once had.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chowser:

I have the adjustable RM06 on my personal gun. At work we have the autoadjust only version and when I barely passed instructor school (found out I have an astigmatism), I convinced work to get me the adjustable version as well. I already had lasik twice and my corneas couldn’t take another lasing so instead of glasses, I got the adjustable one on my duty gun as well.

Chief pretty much just says okay if I explain it a little.
I actually got him to approve almost half a mil this year to redo our range which was built in the 60s.

Off topic - which plate did you use, OEM or aftermarket?

9/11/01 Never Forget

Posts: 2673 | Location: VA | Registered: April 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:

My personal 45 was milled by Maple Leaf. Our work 45s are the MOS-5 model which is cut by Glock for the RMR footprint. It’s not as nice as Maple Leaf’s cut.

I’m looking at the rmr hd over the rcr. Not sure if the rcr will fit our duty holsters.

quote:
Originally posted by jljones:

And this may be the downfall for agency wide deployment.

This all started when one guy asked if he could put a vortex something on his duty gun with a dovetail plate. He was getting some kind of discount from vortex. I said no vortex. The swat team told him no vortex as well. Chief said what red dot? I said he can get a trijicon or aimpoint. They went to hash it out.

Then all of a sudden the chief ordered non adjustable rmrs and dovetail plates for everyone and made it mandatory. On our gen4 Glock 31s. So we were the first agency in the area to issue red dots. But the wrong way.

Last year when we still haven’t gotten our 2018-2022 ammo orders from Winchester, I got him to okay switching to the Glock 45 MOS-5 so we can mount the sights correctly (he was against slide milling).

Not minority enough!

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DanH:
Ñ

The deal breakers are the price. MSRP for both is listed at $849. There is no way the RMR HD is worth $849 when Sig can make the RomeoX in the US, be smaller and just as tough, and sell it for $480 sticker price.

I had to laugh.

SiG isn’t making anything in the US, the Romeo-X is made in South Korea and “assembled” (read: a few screws tightened) in the US. That’s why you get a price differential with something that is made and sourced entirely in the US.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Ñ

The deal breakers are the price. MSRP for both is listed at $849. There is no way the RMR HD is worth $849 when Sig can make the RomeoX in the US, be smaller and just as tough, and sell it for $480 sticker price.

I had to laugh.

SiG isn’t making anything in the US, the Romeo-X is made in South Korea and “assembled” (read: a few screws tightened) in the US. That’s why you get a price differential with something that is made and sourced entirely in the US.

Trijicon is no different. They buy their glass from Light Optics Works out of Japan. And as to where they buy their microchips and related circuitry bits and bobs from...it wouldn't shock me if any if not all of that was sourced from an East Asian ally as well.

-MG

Posts: 1989 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sig 226:

My personal 45 was milled by Maple Leaf. Our work 45s are the MOS-5 model which is cut by Glock for the RMR footprint. It’s not as nice as Maple Leaf’s cut.

I’m looking at the rmr hd over the rcr. Not sure if the rcr will fit our duty holsters.

[QUOTE]

The first reviews on YT said you'd need to modify the holster to fit existing Safariland holsters. See my post on page 1.. it's just one guys opinion but he demo'd that the ALS wouldn't engage.

9/11/01 Never Forget

posted Hide Post
The issue with the RMR HD will be that with some Safariland stuff the "chin" will strike the ALS mechanism. I have no issue with my SRO in a 7360RDS and 7390RDS that I own. It is entirely possible that there are rolling changes introduced by Safariland that will result in inconsistent compatibility.

Aaron Cowan's RCR review is up for Patreon subscribers and the RCR fit fine for him in a 7TS RDS holster. I have seen others demoing the RCR working in the 63XX RDS holsters.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
The issue with the RMR HD will be that with some Safariland stuff the "chin" will strike the ALS mechanism. I have no issue with my SRO in a 7360RDS and 7390RDS that I own. It is entirely possible that there are rolling changes introduced by Safariland that will result in inconsistent compatibility.

Aaron Cowan's RCR review is up for Patreon subscribers and the RCR fit fine for him in a 7TS RDS holster. I have seen others demoing the RCR working in the 63XX RDS holsters.

The RCR is a bit larger than the RMR, I'm surprised by your last statement. Legitimately it would be great not to have to buy a new holster(s) for the 6360 RDS I currently have.

9/11/01 Never Forget

Picture of reloader-1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by monoblok:
quote:
Originally posted by reloader-1:
quote:
Ñ

I had to laugh.

Trijicon is no different. They buy their glass from Light Optics Works out of Japan. And as to where they buy their microchips and related circuitry bits and bobs from...it wouldn't shock me if any if not all of that was sourced from an East Asian ally as well.

Not according to Trijicon. They even call out that a line of theirs DOES have Japanese components, but not the main lines. 100% Made in USA.

https://www.trijicon.com/our-story/about-trijicon

quote:
The vast majority of Trijicon products, including ACOG®, VCOG®, RMR®, RMR®cc SRO®, MRO®, Iron Sights, MGRS®,Thermal Optics and Mounts are designed, engineered, machined, and assembled at our facilities in Wixom, Michigan or Auburn, California, and are therefore 100% Made in the USA.

Our AccuPoint® riflescopes are assembled in the USA but have significant components purchased in Japan. Our Huron®, Ascent®, Tenmile®, and Credo® riflescopes are manufactured in Japan according to our design and testing requirements. All Trijicon products are designed in Michigan and have the same stringent quality processes applied to them, including the Science of Brilliant® testing methodology. All Trijicon products are backed by our limited lifetime warranty. Each product is marked according to its origin.

Posts: 2325 | Location: S. FL | Registered: October 26, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
Chowser,

I have always resisted being that guy in an agency that has the little empire of dirt that just says “We’re doing it this way cause I say so”. When I was coming up, it pissed me off because we had people like that and I know it pissed everyone off. We were one of the first larger agencies in the state to authorize red dots for personal purchase. Since that time, about 30 percent of the workforce have went the way of the dot. Plus all of the guys that are from other agencies on our regional SRT.

My original hope was that we’d some day go full deployment but 8 or so years into this, I really don’t think it’s a good idea. And the rank and file get to train a lot by LE standards.

We have adopted an SOP called “selective enhancement” that outlines what modifications officers can request to make of their duty firearms. Stuff like AR VFGs, some stocks, a select few optics changes on ARs, they can make themselves with approval. But, most all other stuff has to be approved and then completed by a department armorer.

I say a select few optics because cops are cheap. We had problems years ago with people buying cheap Amazon optics for their ARs, and they were surprised when they went to the range and it performed like a cheap optic. Now, if they want to ditch their issued Vortex, they can only choose from a narrow list of approved optics from Vortex, Aimpoint and EoTech. And that’s it. SRT is swapping to EoTech from the 15 year old Aimpoints in the near future.

Pistol optics are limited to the RMR06 or 07 only.

Every time someone wants to make a change I try to be objective and see if it makes sense. Sometimes we can get it approved, sometimes not. But, cops as you well know buy stuff to hang on their guns for all the wrong reasons. Does it make them a better shooter? If the answe is no, well then……

I trained with Nashville PD a couple of months ago and they said about 35 percent of 1500 officers were running dots. Maybe that number is about right?

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37117 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
Chowser,

I have always resisted being that guy in an agency that has the little empire of dirt that just says “We’re doing it this way cause I say so”. When I was coming up, it pissed me off because we had people like that and I know it pissed everyone off. We were one of the first larger agencies in the state to authorize red dots for personal purchase. Since that time, about 30 percent of the workforce have went the way of the dot. Plus all of the guys that are from other agencies on our regional SRT.

My original hope was that we’d some day go full deployment but 8 or so years into this, I really don’t think it’s a good idea. And the rank and file get to train a lot by LE standards.

We have adopted an SOP called “selective enhancement” that outlines what modifications officers can request to make of their duty firearms. Stuff like AR VFGs, some stocks, a select few optics changes on ARs, they can make themselves with approval. But, most all other stuff has to be approved and then completed by a department armorer.

I say a select few optics because cops are cheap. We had problems years ago with people buying cheap Amazon optics for their ARs, and they were surprised when they went to the range and it performed like a cheap optic. Now, if they want to ditch their issued Vortex, they can only choose from a narrow list of approved optics from Vortex, Aimpoint and EoTech. And that’s it. SRT is swapping to EoTech from the 15 year old Aimpoints in the near future.

Pistol optics are limited to the RMR06 or 07 only.

Every time someone wants to make a change I try to be objective and see if it makes sense. Sometimes we can get it approved, sometimes not. But, cops as you well know buy stuff to hang on their guns for all the wrong reasons. Does it make them a better shooter? If the answe is no, well then……

I trained with Nashville PD a couple of months ago and they said about 35 percent of 1500 officers were running dots. Maybe that number is about right?

I agree - I think you have the right approach. At my agency we were similar, the only difference was a bigger selection of optics. My region is shifting more towards closed emitters now…so I guess we’ll see where it goes.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
MAP price is set at $645 for both models.

Posts: 7398 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
Most places have it for preorder at $645. I was wrong on Primary Arms, it's $561 for leos.

My agency is running auto adjust RMRs in 3.25MOA. I forget the model number. Four of us are testing the RMR06 adjustable so I can force the change to adjustable as we replace units. But we haven't had any break so I don't know if I can get everyone switched over to the adjustable. Our chief has 5 years left, so whenever the assistant chief takes over, he's going to make it optional, so I'm probably going to switch to the RMR HD. I'm just not liking the closed emitter on a pistol.

Maybe if I try one.

As for officer's optional equipments, the chief stopped that. All rifles are now city owned (DDM4) with Aimpoint PROs and Streamlight Protacs. Very few handgun mods are allowed, basically if you want higher sights, that's allowed. He's still not letting people change much on the gun. I got mine stippled anyway because if he doesn't like it, I can just retire and buy the gun for $50. He said who authorized that? I said you let your designee authorize whatever he thinks is okay and I looked in the mirror and said go ahead and get it stippled.

Not minority enough!

Serenity now!
posted Hide Post
quote:
He said who authorized that? I said you let your designee authorize whatever he thinks is okay and I looked in the mirror and said go ahead and get it stippled.

That's just awesome.

9/11/01 Never Forget