SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Is it possible to turn a P225 into DAK or DAO?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Is it possible to turn a P225 into DAK or DAO? Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
My apologies if it’s a dumb question but I love the DAK action and love the P225 so combining them would be awesome.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
DAO yes, DAK no.

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I believe there is a different cutout in the frame for the DAK...guns that have it can be set up for DAK, DAO, or DA/SA...but guns that don't can't be made into a DAK. I imagine Sigfreund probably has pictures somewhere and could explain the details.

Posts: 8564 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I don’t have any pictures, but in short the DAK trigger bar requires more room near its end to move properly and DAK-compatible frames are machined so that’s possible.

When the DAK trigger system was first announced there was a statement by SIG that a service would be available to convert older frames to the new trigger. I have a DAK 9mm P229 that was obviously converted at the factory to accept the DAK parts. I read something around that time that one LE agency placed an early order for DAK 9mm P229s, and that led me to believe that’s where those factory-converted pistols originated; i.e., they were converted to fill that relatively large order. As far as I know, though, the promised service to convert individual owners’ guns to the DAK trigger system was never actually provided.

Grayguns also advertised the conversion service for a short time, but I don’t recall if that was available for aluminum frames. They converted a 357/40 P226ST (stainless steel frame) for me, but as far as I know they stopped offering that service sometime later. I never heard of anyone else having an older gun converted to the DAK trigger.

In addition to whatever difficulties there may be in finding someone who would machine the aluminum (or steel, for that matter) frame to accept the DAK parts, there is the issue of the parts themselves.

At one time DAK parts, including the trigger bar, were available for the P220, P226, P229, and P239. (P228 parts are the same as those for the P229, but P228s were never offered in a DAK version. The same is true of the P220/P245.) My parts lists don’t, however, list the P225 trigger bar at all, and therefore I believe it was unique to that model, as was true of some other P225 parts such as the trigger. If I’m right about that, then even if the P225 frame was converted to make it compatible with a DAK trigger bar, there were never any such parts for the P225.

As stated, however, it is possible to convert the P225 to double action only. The P225 uses the same hammer as most of the other Classic line pistols and therefore it’s only necessary to find a DAO hammer and replace the existing DA/SA hammer (and remove the decocking mechanism).

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Here are pics of DAK non-compatible vs DAK compatible frame (with the bigger window cutout at the rear).

Three P228 models that are DAK compatible:

Q

Posts: 26376 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
Q is just showing off his SS frame P228. Wink

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6212 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I guess I knew that some P228 frames were DAK compatible, but I'd forgotten that. I don't recall ever seeing any P228s offered from the factory with DAK triggers, but I suppose that was possible.

How about the reissued P225s that SIG offered for a while. Did they have DAK-compatible frames? Did they use the same internal parts as the original P225s?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47408 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
I guess I knew that some P228 frames were DAK compatible, but I'd forgotten that. I don't recall ever seeing any P228s offered from the factory with DAK triggers, but I suppose that was possible.

Those P228s are DAK compatible because the frames are from the P229 (already with the DAK cutout). But you are right, never seen a factory production P228 DAK.
quote:
How about the reissued P225s that SIG offered for a while. Did they have DAK-compatible frames? Did they use the same internal parts as the original P225s?

The P225-A1 is not DAK compatible (no DAK cutout).

Q

Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
Thank you everyone who responded!

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post