SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    German Geiger GRP 9mm pistol...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

German Geiger GRP 9mm pistol... Login/Join 
posted
“GRP” stands for Geiger Roller Pistol in loose translation. I first heard of this gem a couple of years ago and I knew I had to track one down at some point. When I realized MMB Imports was bringing them in one at a time, I got my name on the list back in the fall of last year. I had no idea how long it would take, but it was the sort of thing to basically forget about until the time came. As it turns out the time came quicker than I thought. MMB contacted me in May that a few were completed and ready to be imported into the States. Two were already spoken for, including mine. The other went on Gunbroker last month. The set price for the pre-ordered models was a bit over $9000 shipped to my FFL. While I know that’s not a cheap handgun by any means, the last model that went on Gunbroker brought nearly double that in a penny auction. Now the retail price from the importer has nearly doubled to match. Frown

The Geiger GRP is a bespoke, hand built, roller delayed blowback pistol. Each one is meticulously made and assembled in Germany. To date, only about 30 have been produced and I wonder how long they will be in “production”. Mine is serial number 27 and chambered in 9mm. They are also available in 45ACP and I’m so impressed with this pistol that I wouldn’t mind having one in each caliber. However, I should have gotten it ordered before the huge price hike.

I am a huge fan of delayed blowback handguns and roller delayed is my favorite of them all. Its not a cheap or simple way to design a pistol and generally requires some intricate manufacturing. I’m honestly only aware of four handguns that use this method and three of the four are outrageously expensive to buy if you can even find one. I’m talking about the HK P9S, Korth PRS, Korriphila HSP, and this Geiger. The design is definitely very German and all four of the pistols are as well. The good news is that I own the others so I can directly compare them to this one as time goes on.

As for my thoughts on the Geiger GRP 9mm, the gun is impeccable. Build quality, parts quality, attention to detail, refinement, and fit and finish are on an otherworldly level and take me back to the finest pistols built in Germany over the past few decades. From a quality standpoint, the Geiger matches the very best pistols I own and since its built with today’s steel, certainly benefits from any metallurgy advancement during that stretch of time. Like it's brethren, all the Geiger's parts are machined in house from solid carbon steel billets and none are outsourced other than the grips. The beautiful blued finish, the perfect checkering on the front strap, back strap and trigger guard, and the classy Nill grips give the GRP a level of elegance only found in the world’s finest handguns. Even the roll markings are meticulously done, as shown. The case it comes in is simple, but also very classy and high quality. The owner’s manual is small, but informative (if you can read German). The Geiger is certainly old school and I love it for that characteristic.

I just received the pistol and haven’t even field stripped it as of this writing, but this 3 minute video recorded by Geiger himself shows you how its done. However, I will use the provided non-marring tool instead of a metal punch. Wink

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGZLGWozSBI

The GRP is only available so far with a blued finish and 6” barrel. Whether that changes or not over time is anyone’s guess. If any options are offered in the future, I’d like to see one with a 5” barrel. However, I’m not holding my breath. While its uncertain how many of these masterpieces will be made, my guess is very few, which would be inline with other pistols in the Geiger’s class.

As far as some measurable stats are concerned, the SAO trigger is surprisingly light for a gun like this. It tested consistently under 4lbs and is very crisp with no creep at all. The thumbs safety is very positive and perfectly positioned and weighted. The mag release is easy to reach and activate. The sights are extremely old school, but work well and are befitting a handgun of this amazing stature. The weight is heavy, as in 46oz unloaded.

So there you have it. Needless to say, I’m thrilled to add this beauty to my German pistol collection. Its my finest purchase in the past five years. It ranks with my Korth Autopistols and Korriphila HSP’s among of the finest pistols I own and also one of the finest in the world past or present. While I plan to put a few rounds downrange, I really didn’t buy it as a shooter. I have plenty of high end pistols for that. This one is more of a rare museum piece that I only see gaining value as the years go by.

As always, please enjoy the pics and share your thoughts.

Thanks!

As far as German roller delayed blowbacks are concerned, the Korth PRS uses a very similar system. I must say that its not nearly as pleasing to the eye as is the Geiger.

Here the Geiger is on the right with one of my Korth Autopistols and Korriphilas HSP’s along side it. While the Korth is a locked breech pistol, the Korriphila also uses a roller delay. Besides the Korth PRS, Korriphila, and this Geiger, the only other handgun I know that uses a roller delayed system is the old HK P9S.

Posts: 1325 | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very, Very Nice! Thank You for sharing.

Posts: 143 | Location: mich | Registered: June 24, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Very cool. You have one heck of a collection.

Posts: 6888 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree... Very cool. Kinda looks like a hybrid of a 1911 and a P210.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Isn't it right that a higher level of quality and perfection can be built into a steel firearm? That is very unique in how it is made and field strips. It caused me to learn a bit more of this roller locking system. I have heard of it before. Seems a higher chamber pressure is required to make it function. Also said to be a bit of a dirty system. I dont believe lighter target loads will work through it bac. It is so cool to see the slide catch lever remain in place as its top end comes off. Your images are certainly telling sir. The gun is not built of the same level of quality and finish as your Korths. That is not stating bad quality, just that your images are telling. It is a beautiful pistol of a different design. None of the 3 pistols you have pictured here have I ever laid eyes on in the real world.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Very nice! I believe the CZ 52 also uses a roller delayed blowback system.

Posts: 8570 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That's one damn nice pistol ! I had never heard of them prior to your post and, after some research, have decided to get one as well.

I think I will get one in 9mm as it will implement my .45 Korth PRS very nicely.

Posts: 154 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: December 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
Very nice! I believe the CZ 52 also uses a roller delayed blowback system.

Not at all

The CZ 52 is a locked breech pistol.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Isn't it right that a higher level of quality and perfection can be built into a steel firearm? That is very unique in how it is made and field strips. It caused me to learn a bit more of this roller locking system. I have heard of it before. Seems a higher chamber pressure is required to make it function. Also said to be a bit of a dirty system. I dont believe lighter target loads will work through it bac. It is so cool to see the slide catch lever remain in place as its top end comes off. Your images are certainly telling sir. The gun is not built of the same level of quality and finish as your Korths. That is not stating bad quality, just that your images are telling. It is a beautiful pistol of a different design. None of the 3 pistols you have pictured here have I ever laid eyes on in the real world.

I generally only run factory ammo, so it should be fine. Not sure I’d consider them dirty. Now a gas delayed blowback is dirty. That’s different

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Fascinating!

Posts: 15894 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
Work of Art.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8852 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
quote:
I...t caused me to learn a bit more of this roller locking system. I have heard of it before. Seems a higher chamber pressure is required to make it function. Also said to be a bit of a dirty system. I dont believe lighter target loads will work through it bac.

Not all roller lockes work the same way. There is There is fully supported roller locks as used in the Vz52 or delayed blowback as used in rifles like the SIG510 or the HK G3. The difference makes the loaction of the lock and how they interact. Delayed ones have the tendency to be dirty. Fully supported ones not so much. Neither will either one of sytem need a "stiffer" type of ammo to function reliably. Why?

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
bac, I won't pretend to know any of the intricacies and nuance of the gun's internals, but that's one handsome pistol you've added to your already extraordinary collection.

-MG

Posts: 1993 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of elberettas
posted Hide Post
Very nice! Gotta love the German's attention to detail.

Posts: 1958 | Location: San Diego, CA | Registered: July 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I’ve always digged the Korriphila HSP and roller delayed action in it.

As always I do so enjoy your posts and pictures.

Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7683 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OTD:
quote:
I...t caused me to learn a bit more of this roller locking system. I have heard of it before. Seems a higher chamber pressure is required to make it function. Also said to be a bit of a dirty system. I dont believe lighter target loads will work through it bac.

Not all roller lockes work the same way. There is There is fully supported roller locks as used in the Vz52 or delayed blowback as used in rifles like the SIG510 or the HK G3. The difference makes the loaction of the lock and how they interact. Delayed ones have the tendency to be dirty. Fully supported ones not so much. Neither will either one of sytem need a "stiffer" type of ammo to function reliably. Why?
Daniel, I have little knowledge of this locking system. I am going by what I learned on Forgotten Weapons. They covered pretty much all roller type arms by stating higher chamber pressure. This is why I assume light loads would not make it work correctly. Why sir?

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIG-Sauer
Anthropologist
posted Hide Post
The chamber pressure relates to the development of the pressure during the combustion of the powder inside the chamber in the function of time, not the pressure of a cartridge. Blowback systems and delayed blowback systems react directly and much faster then fully supported systems with either a long or short recoil. Chamber pressure is therefore higher at the moment the breech is seperating from the barrel.

Peter Dannecker wrote a couple of amazing books related to this topic (Verschlusssyteme von Feuerwaffen 1 & 2). It´s highly recommended if you are interested in technical details behind the stories of forgotten weapons Wink

Posts: 3775 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: January 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of swage
posted Hide Post
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...nice gun. I wanna see more pictures of your Registered Magnum. Smile Smile

Posts: 1865 | Location: Westlake, OH USA | Registered: October 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by swage:
Yeah, Yeah, Yeah...nice gun. I wanna see more pictures of your Registered Magnum. Smile Smile
Well I posted two for you Wink

Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Am I the only one that sees two blank screen area instead of photos? Currently viewing SigForum with Safari on my iPhone 12 Pro. I’d love to see the photos!

In any case, thanks for the interesting post, bac1023.

ETA: A whole bunch of photos just appeared. An edit-in-progress situation, I guess. And, yeah, NEAT pistol!

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8955 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post