SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    And the horse may learn to sing (150 yard shots with a P320 Carry). Update with red dot session, 30Jul22
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

And the horse may learn to sing (150 yard shots with a P320 Carry). Update with red dot session, 30Jul22 Login/Join 
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
Think it was late in the day, last event and Bruce had us put our peckers in the dirt. If you weren’t thinking clearly, that first shot put a big blast of dirt right into your snout! Next one too if you didn’t figure it out. Wink

I’ve not tried 200 with 9 milli yet … thanks for sharing!

Now I remember...I was trying to get stuff packed up so we could get off the range before they locked the gates

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14175 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was there was Scott and we estimated our range (disregarding elevation) as between 150-200 yards. With my 9mm 226, I was aiming dead on. Scott said he was holding just over the top of the target with his 220. We had no problem ringing steel while standing free style...but no one was shooting back at us either

I heard about that at the next class. Boy I miss those classes with the old team! That was my real introduction to handgun shooting, and what I learned there has been the solid foundation of everything I've learned since.
Thanks for the memories, General Tang!

oh and SIGnified: I don't know if it was the same class, but my wife and I were in a class Bruce was teaching at Sac Valley when I finally had to "pull rank" as an MD and make him call it quits. it was 117 in the shade.

Posts: 18016 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you weren’t thinking clearly, that first shot put a big blast of dirt right into your snout! Next one too if you didn’t figure it out. Wink

Oh, puhleeeeez, tell the rest of us!

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sjtill:
quote:
I was there was Scott and we estimated our range (disregarding elevation) as between 150-200 yards. With my 9mm 226, I was aiming dead on. Scott said he was holding just over the top of the target with his 220. We had no problem ringing steel while standing free style...but no one was shooting back at us either

I heard about that at the next class. Boy I miss those classes with the old team! That was my real introduction to handgun shooting, and what I learned there has been the solid foundation of everything I've learned since.
Thanks for the memories, General Tang!

oh and SIGnified: I don't know if it was the same class, but my wife and I were in a class Bruce was teaching at Sac Valley when I finally had to "pull rank" as an MD and make him call it quits. it was 117 in the shade.

Holy smokes… Literally.

I think we only hit 105° or so. (But the median temperature where I live is about 65°F.)

Sounds like Bruce though. Driven.

No question; best gun/pistol instructor.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
If you weren’t thinking clearly, that first shot put a big blast of dirt right into your snout! Next one too if you didn’t figure it out. Wink

Oh, puhleeeeez, tell the rest of us!

Go shoot a gun prone in the dirt. Wink

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
We used to shoot at an USPSA steel target between day shoots and waiting for night (when I was policing). We’d all start at 25yds, take your shot and back up 5 more yds. This was when we used the P226 in 9mm, when it got to three of us shooting we were out at 75 yds. I finished second at 80 and the head instructor stopped at 85-he just quit and later told me did this all the time and could do it out to 125 .

When we switched to the 357SIG I did it again and the same three of us made it out to 100 before I shanked one.

I don’t practice wih a handgun past 40 (the length of my gun clubs bays) anymore as it’s not really safe unless I’m alone at the range.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11246 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Update on session using red dot optical sight in first post.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigforum K9 handler
Picture of jljones
posted Hide Post
The accuracy speaks for itself on the usefulness of a MRDS at distance. The MRDS will never replace outstanding trigger control, but it certainly augments it, especially beyond 25 yards.

www.opspectraining.com

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton. Let's see if it works out for them"

Posts: 37081 | Location: Logical | Registered: September 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I guess I won my bet. You went 5/5. Nice! I bet with the 357 Sig it would have even been better.

I’m convinced of the red dot superiority for almost all my shooting needs. I have too many guns to outfit them all nor would I but my nice smattering of optic equipped guns are much easier to hit accurately with, especially as the distances gets long.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I bet with the 357 Sig it would have even been better.

That would be my guess as well. And thanks for the idea.
The 9mm slide and sight were borrowed and I don’t have a 357 SIG slide with optic or that’s what I would have used.

Although it’s just another guess, the degree of vertical stringing of today’s result might have been due in part to the fact that the ammunition I used was the “reclassified” stuff from Velocity Ammo Sales that was discussed in another thread. The velocity spread of what I measured was over twice as much as the “normal” lot I had. It seems unlikely that that alone would have accounted for it, but it could have been a contributor.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ahh,amateur stuff. We used to do that up to 200 meters with (at first) a 1911. IHMSA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6xme4axGM8

https://www.ihmsa.org/index.html

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jljones:
The accuracy speaks for itself on the usefulness of a MRDS at distance. The MRDS will never replace outstanding trigger control, but it certainly augments it, especially beyond 25 yards.

One of the biggest benefits I get out of the red dot is trigger control feedback. I might not catch the iron sights becoming misaligned, but it is tough to miss the dot skittering around and screaming, “Trigger control dummy!”

Thanks much for the steer in that direction and the heads up on working with the suppressor sights and honing the presentation until the dot shows up where it needs to be. Looking for the dot is slow and sucks, but that is a software issue.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post