SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do you modify pistols?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do you modify pistols? Login/Join 
goodheart
Picture of sjtill
posted Hide Post
I don't myself do much of the tinkering except for grips; but almost all my Sigs and my BHP have been worked on by Bruce Gray; my revolvers by Randy Lee at Apex. Although "always" is not quite right because "almost always" was not offered as an option. I may leave my new P365 alone--nahh, I'll find a way to improve it. And my P320 will get an RDS and a Bruce Gray trigger job at least; and I have a tungsten-infused grip module for competitive shooting if I get back into that.
The only truly stock pistols I have are a Ruger Mk II and a S&W 19. I rarely shoot either one.

Posts: 18089 | Location: One hop from Paradise | Registered: July 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
As far as personally modding them, my Glocks (gen3) have aftermarket connectors and a 50 cents trigger job.
All of the Ruger MkIIIs and MVs I have bought got new extractors, new Volquartsen triggers, removal of mag disconnects, and removal of the LCIs on the MKIIIs. Except for installing a short rest tigger kit into a P226, the rest of my handguns have no mods.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16724 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always add night sights if the gun doesn't come with them. My LCP Max was okay, shot well but the little sights stunk. Added night sights with a big front sight that draws my eye to it and it is perfect IMO.

I always replace the plastic sights on my Glocks. My Shadow Systems CR920 came with a front night sight and I haven't changed anything. The P365 came with night sights and I found them to work well for me-after I changed the grip module to a
Wilson Combat.

So, sights are mostly, but not always, all I do to them.

Bob

Posts: 1579 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Casuistic Thinker and Daoist
Picture of 9mmepiphany
posted Hide Post
I always modify my pistols even if it is just to remove change the rear sight to replace it with one without dots.

I think the only pistols I've never done anything to are my S&W M-41 and a Jennings J-22

No, Daoism isn't a religion

Posts: 14188 | Location: northern california | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Some of my firearms are bone stock unmodified but most of them have some work done

Everything from just cleaning up the trigger pull to doing all out caliber conversions

Others have little personal touches added. Things like grip changes or upgraded sights or changes to the finish or just adding color to the lettering

Nice guns. I can’t help but to marvel at the HK. Those USPs are simply awesome. My next gun will be another .45.Sig, HK or FN FNX are what I have narrowed it down to. Leaning HK…at least for today.
Is the grip on the Gold Cup Ivory? It’s beautiful.

Posts: 79 | Location: Southeast Georgia  | Registered: February 04, 2024Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
Sometimes.
Triggers and sights on Glocks, but not all of them. Some aftermarket barrels (conversion and/or threaded)
G-10 grips on the classic P series SIGs that didn’t come with them.
Stocks/grips on revolvers, occasionally.

The most mods I ever put on one gun was a 9MM AR pistol I had built up for Steel Challenge matches at a local range. It’s a LOT of fun, especially suppressed. Trigger, chamber work to get it to feed 147 grain 9MM, some durability parts, etc.

Posts: 6308 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Great Equalizer
Picture of colt_saa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Vaftocr:
quote:
Originally posted by colt_saa:
Some of my firearms are bone stock unmodified but most of them have some work done

Everything from just cleaning up the trigger pull to doing all out caliber conversions

Others have little personal touches added. Things like grip changes or upgraded sights or changes to the finish or just adding color to the lettering

Nice guns. I can’t help but to marvel at the HK. Those USPs are simply awesome. My next gun will be another .45.Sig, HK or FN FNX are what I have narrowed it down to. Leaning HK…at least for today.
Is the grip on the Gold Cup Ivory? It’s beautiful.
Thanks for the kind words

Yes, That is African Elephant Ivory from Colt's Custom Shop

I got my first USP 9 the week they came out. Same with mt first USP 45. Both are serial numbered in the low 600s. That was 1995. I have added several others since then

------------------------------------------------------------------
NRA Benefactor . . . Certified Instructor . . . Certified RSO
SWCA

356TSW.com
45talk.com
RacingPlanetUSA.Com

Posts: 5180 | Location: Cocoa Beach, Florida | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nothing major, just plug and play stuff mostly.

I have changed grips on some, added/replaced night sights on some, have conversion barrels for some and have changed springs on some.

Most of my Glocks have extended slide locks and slide stop levers . Two of them have new barrels for their factory calibers, several of them have one or more caliber conversion barrels.

Posts: 148 | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I converted two Glock model 20s to run on .38 Super. Another model 22 is currently in 7.65mm Para.

NICE!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4834 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
All depends. As simple as a drop-in trigger kit and grip swap to pulling out a dremel with milling bit and removing dumb features, I'll do it all. Others, I've left alone.

Probably the most surgery I've done was on this Japanese contract overrun P230 7,65B version. It came with plastic grips with a lanyard loop, frame safety lever (no cocked and locked however) and a terrible trigger pull with rebounding hammer.

I removed the internal safety hump, swapped the hammer strut and hammer for the earlier P230 style to get a nice trigger back and had CCR do CPII Dusk on the slide to make it a serviceable finish (it was very worn....I sold a mint P230 Japanese contract to buy this one as I felt bad messing with it).

Also put Swiss Police walnut (from Morini) on it. Hard to argue with the results...the only hint it's been modified is the safety notch in the slide.

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
I converted two Glock model 20s to run on .38 Super. Another model 22 is currently in 7.65mm Para.

NICE!

Thanks!

Posts: 9167 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
short reach triggers and E2 grip modules.
sometimes i'll lightly polish internals if they have high or rough spots.

Posts: 829 | Location: CA | Registered: January 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
I only do so to either tailor them better to my personal tastes and needs, or to rectify issues. The latter I have only done once, to my CZ P-01. The shape of the stock trigger gouged a hole in my finger, so I had Cajun Gun Works install a differently shaped one, and it was only $25 more to do some minor smoothing while they were in there. I also send pistols (more accurately, just the slides as they can be sent through the mail) out for sight installation. Under no circumstances will I buy a new gun and see how much shit I can hang off it.

Posts: 27984 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FP2000H
posted Hide Post
Usually, yes. Trigger and spring upgrades for better trigger control, night sights when needed. I just did a bunch of work to my HKs including installation of the GrayGuns short reset trigger kits. When I had M&P, I did Apex installs. I love working on guns.

#COMMUNISTMANBAD

Posts: 1748 | Location: TX | Registered: November 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it feels like it needs it I will change things but if it doesn't I leave it stock. The design and model has far more to do with it than my wanting to screw with something. Sometimes a small change makes a big difference.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends on the gun and the circumstances. Generally I do modify a Glock, most with their lawdy mama mediocre triggers, but I also change out their plastic placeholder sights as well. Hell, I put a charging handle on my Laugo Alien because I couldn't stand slingshot racking--the only way it can be racked if its RDS is onboard--its way too short-in-height slide. But I haven't done a thing to any of my CZ Shadows; each has been GTG right out of the box.

-MG

Posts: 2007 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Usually it is just custom or aftermarket grips. All but one of my Ruger Revolvers have custom grips and that last one will too eventually.

My non 1911 semi auto pistols usually get custom or replacement grips too. I am looking to complete a Beretta project where I have an vertec Inox top end (slide, barrel and all top end parts are Inox and ready to go) and mate it to a 92FS frame, which I need to purchase. My gunsmith will remove the sear and replace the spur hammer with a spurless hammer.

With my 1911’s I have my gunsmith put on a Harrison smooth medium trigger shoe on any that permanently stay in the collection. VZ 320 grips are also usually going to replace any factory originals.

With my 9mm Kimber, I learned how to install and tension a Wilson extractor. I had double feeds with the Kimber original, the Wilson has been a solid upgrade plus I have acquired an additional skill. I also replaced the factory slide stop to a Fusion slide stop that allows my standard Metalform magazine followers to NOT occasionally hyperextend and get stuck.

My Auto Ordnance 9mm 1911 had some misfires out of the box with my handloads and while the factory ammo always ignited the primer hits were too light for my peace of mind. I installed a replacement firing pin that was dimensionally a tad longer. My gunsmith will install a slightly heavier hammer spring. This one two step will take care of that problem. The Auto Ordnance slide stop will need to be replaced for the same reasons as the Kimber but the Fusion slide stop won’t fit so I will need to buy a different brand. I also replaced the factory recoil spring to better accommodate the 115 grain ammo I seem to shoot the most in that pistol. I also am having my gunsmith replace the extended factory thumb safety with a more GI looking Harrison one. The trigger shoe, recoil spring snd thumb safety are all personal preference upgrades as the factory versions of those parts were properly functional.

Posts: 3159 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post

My slowfire revolver. Grips and trigger work. I made the trigger lift 3#. It feels like a hair trigger. There is no pushoff.
Then there are 1911 wad guns and M9 Service pistols, barrel shortened S&W 41, and barrel switches on High Standards, and Ruger MII upgrades....

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6320 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hamden106:

My slowfire revolver. Grips and trigger work. I made the trigger lift 3#. It feels like a hair trigger. There is no pushoff.
Then there are 1911 wad guns and M9 Service pistols, barrel shortened S&W 41, and barrel switches on High Standards, and Ruger MII upgrades....

Nice Bullseye Gun! Looks like a Five-screw Model of 1955, mebbe'?... Smile

Posts: 647 | Location: Griffin, GA, USA | Registered: November 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Guilty as charged.

Mods range from installing shorter reach triggers and custom grips to performance tuning with new parts and stippling to a complete "frankengun."

Here's a sampling:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/5560037964/p/1
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...030036634#4030036634

And even rifles:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...010067205#1010067205

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16252 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post