SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Beretta 87 questions
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Beretta 87 questions Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted
I’m on the hunt for one of these gems and I’ve got a question or two. I see some 8rd mags available, are they reliable? Are there other magazine options… do the 87 target mags function in the 87? Feel free to pass along anything else I might need to know! Thanks guys.

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
8 round mags are standard and have flat, plastic base pads.

The 10 round target mags have the same housing, but have a longer cut to let the follower travel further down. Which allows space for the extra two rounds. They have a thicker, rubber base pad, which adds a nice (1/2") length to the grip.

You could cut the slots in the 8 round mag tubes to make them 10 round mags.
You can also switch base pads to have 10 round mags with flat base pads or 8 round mags with rubber base pads.

Both mags are reliable.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Awesome, thanks for that.

Posts: 6996 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just curious- is this one of those 'I have an itch I need to scratch' purchases?

I'm just wondering why you are searching for an 87?

Nice pistols, but they are not exactly cheap for a .22lr that has accuracy not significantly different from a Buckmark that costs 1/2 the price.

Of course, if it IS an itch you need to scratch, I completely get it!

That is how I felt about quite a few handguns.

I have some 87Target experience, but no 87 experience.

Sigs and Non-Sigs: I enjoy having options!

Posts: 683 | Location: South San Joaquin Valley, CA | Registered: September 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
I got my wife an 87 years and years ago. Even found a threaded barrel and got her a suppressor. When we take it to the range, im always reminded that it is probably the most fun handgun. Super reliable. Super quiet. Absolute beauty. Of course cheaper 22s have become more reliable and prolific, and i may try one someday. But for now, this is everything we need in a 22 pistol.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He’s spot on regarding mags. No reason to buy the 8 rounders. I cut the slot on one just for fun and it works great. Interesting factoid. It will hold 11 in this manner. Not 11+1, but you can load 11 in the mag, chamber 1, and now you are 10+1. Saves me one step. Who knew?

As for why an 87, anyone who owns one knows. lol. Comparing an 87 to a Buckmark is apples to oranges other than caliber. Elegant, reliable, accurate gun that functions just like a full-size gun. Mine is almost always in the range bag. One particular area where it shines is training. Unlike say a Buckmark, it looks, acts, operates, disassembles, etc just like a Center fire hammer gun. It is easy to start on an 87 and easily transition to a hammer gun due to similarity in operation.

I’m not a Buckmark guy, but I own a couple mkIII’s, 322, Kadet’s, and 87 would be the last 22 I got rid of unless it was for a specific purpose. Straight up target shooting it can’t compete with my volquartsen Ruger. For general purpose great gun, oh yea.

Find one, even if you get rid of it you won’t lose much money if any. You’ll never get all your money out of a Buckmark or Ruger.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Good luck on your hunt! I have been looking for an 87 for years at a price I could stomach, but haven't come across one yet. Awesome little pistols, but the price of admission is painful. I have an 81 that I really like, but chasing .32 brass spit out of an autoloader into the weeds is kind of a PITA, so I only shoot it indoors, and with primers still being unobtainable it hasn't seen a lot of range time lately. An 87 in .22 would get far more use, but for some reason Beretta hasn't seen fit to import them. I think they'd sell like hotcakes if they did (or even produced them in TN) and priced them similarly to a 92.

Cheap .22s are just that...cheap. I've tried them and been unsatisfied. Most of them feel like cheap toy copies of real guns...and a lot of them are frustratingly unreliable. My MKII target is an exception to that rule, but it was cheap because I bought it for a steal, not because it was manufactured as such. I love that gun, but the itch for an 87 remains.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Beretta 87 to me was worth it. Finest 22 of 5 that I own. Shoots any ammo and has been flawless since I got it. I will carry this or my 85 from time to time. Good luck finding one.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
I got my 87 about ten years ago. As said, they are a great .22 pistol.
I also have an 87 Target; it's also nice but I like the standard 87 better.

It was expensive back when I bought it; I haven't checked, but I bet they're really expensive now.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16488 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IIRC, Beretta exports the 87 into the states every ten to twelve years. They're about due to start shipping for a short while, if they hold true to form. Last batch in I picked up 2. Love them both.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought an 87, loved it so I bought a brand new one for my son. I check on it now and again, still has hang tags and everything. I thought I would love the 87 Target but I never warmed up to it. Sold it with zero regrets.

Just for aesthetics I would love to have an older 87 sans the goofy billboards.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Yep, I’ve had my fill of “cheaper” 22lr handguns. I will probably pick up a P322 when one is available at the distributors, but I’ve always wanted an 87. Beautiful handguns. Thanks for the info on the mags!

posted Hide Post
I was surprised how easy it was to dremel the mag slot to turn an 8 rounder into a 10. You only have to do the one side as well. The side with the screw into the follower.

Used a cut off wheel and the correct size stone sanding drum.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
IIRC, Beretta exports the 87 into the states every ten to twelve years. They're about due to start shipping for a short while, if they hold true to form. Last batch in I picked up 2. Love them both.

Man, that would make my day. I've only ever seen one locally, in an LGS about 6 years ago, and they wanted close to $800 for it. At the time I knew what it was, but couldn't justify spending that much on a .22. These days, I'm really wishing I'd bought it, especially with the primer situation being what it is and a 92x compact living on my hip most days...a similar pistol in .22 wfor practice, especially one with the quality of an 87, would be fantastic.

Posts: 8413 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:

!

Definitely an itch I'd like to try scratching.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I talked to a Beretta pistol rep at the NRA show and asked about magazine availability. He told me that we could/would see 87s and mags in the US later this year. He said there was no set date, but this year. Good news as I need some mags.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53117 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
Yep, I’ve had my fill of “cheaper” 22lr handguns. I will probably pick up a P322 when one is available at the distributors, but I’ve always wanted an 87. Beautiful handguns. Thanks for the info on the mags!

I remember when comet 87 was last seen but I had gone down the CZ 75 Kadet path, not cheaper probably. Otherwise, you could find a Beretta Neos in the 40 watt range Wink.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
Well I found an 87 already! There’s a couple on GB for over $1000 (out of the question). Then a Google search found one in Arizona. It’s paid for and should be shipped soon! Now I get to buy mags..

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good pickup. My only regret is not picking up a long barrel when they were plentiful and cheap.