SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Minding my own business and Zev OZ9 happens
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Minding my own business and Zev OZ9 happens Login/Join 
Picture of Beanhead
posted
So, it has been a few weeks since I stopped at the LGS and Gander Outdoors. So after running some errands, wife and I stopped by and they actually had basically 3 type of inventory of firearms. Hunting rifles, high end pistols and Kimbers Big Grin, and used guns. They actually had quite a bit of used pistols. From older S&W revolvers to even H&K USP 40F and P2000s. You can tell quite a number of it are LE trade in. Lot of exterior wears and what not. There were a load of pistols coming in as we browsed. A S&W 915 that had more rust than a tire iron left in the yard. A Springfield XD the clerks were joking around wondering if it was 'stainless' or worn. I am going with worn.

After asking to see a few of them including a Sig P229 .357 Sig for $450...that still interests me. I noticed a lone ZEV OZ9 sitting there. I asked to see it and it was like a fine tuned machine in my hand. I read about it but really didn't think much of it when it was announced around the SHOT SHOW. Home I go...and to the internet. After reviewing a few videos, I decided to return for a closer look.

So I stopped back by and asked if the original box came with it and does it have the original accessories(extra fiber optic inserts/SKB custom box). The lady, being a bit lazy, told me she thought it was a cardboard box. That had me nervous. A high end pistol traded or sold to Gander Outdoor in a cardboard box. I was going to walk. It was a pleasant surprise when she brought out the box. Included with the all the accessories, the SKB box, and manual....was 4 Glock Gen 5 17 mags(2 had ZEV mag extensions on them), ZEV compensator, Olight PL-2 Valkyrie 2, and a IWB Kydex holster with it.

So I took it right to the range and put a few mags through it. Very flat shooting and very ZEV like(I have a Glock 19 with a ZEV Omen Slide)

Here is the obligatory photo.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Nice!

The same thing happened to me. Minding my own business and stopped by the store. Then an Allround presented itself...

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dang, I just sold three SIGs and two S&W revos in the last week. I need to hang out with y'all instead of with me. Smile

<><
America, Land of the Free - because of the Brave

Posts: 1938 | Location: Goodbye, so. Fla. | Registered: January 26, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
Beanhead, very nice pick up! Some good stuff included too, always a nice little plus!

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1899 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
After familiarizing yourself with the OZ9, what are your thoughts?

I like the versatility that the OZ9 is capable of, but would you see yourself swapping out the different grip kits or getting the extra long slide someday?

Posts: 9159 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
ZEV makes some neat stuff. I have a couple ZEV parts on my pistol.

Posts: 6891 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
I would sum it up this way. It is definitely a design that Glock should have adopted. It would have given them the military contract and beat out Sig. The chassis system is probably the most advanced thing a Glock like pistol have evolved. The extra rail real estate is felt when you work the slide. It is more like the CZ and Beretta slides.

The ability to own one and change over to all different sizes(same logic apply here, you can only go bigger than the frame not the other way). It came with a threaded barrel and a ZEV comp that I have not installed yet. So, I don't think I am going to go with a 34 slide. But I might put the 19 grip on it. I originally thought about getting another grip and having it stippled professionally...but this grip is already aggressive. I might still get one to have one without the magwell.

The added weight(28 oz compared to the standard 22 oz)is not significant like the Legion X5 of 43 oz. This makes it not super heavy but enough that you notice it is slightly softer shooting than a standard Glock.

All the rest(Polymer 80 and the PSA dagger) are doing the same thing over but in a different flavor. This is truly a step forward. I liked that it kept the Gen 3 component. The rest of the pistol is basically ZEV stuff. No, it's not bad just not revolutionary. You can see it really is a version of the ZEV Omen slide I have on my Glock 19. I inadvertenly got the big brother, it looks like.

Overall, I am happy with my purchase and I am looking forward to shooting it more.

Posts: 1353 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post