SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Need help changing 220 grip to the Sig E2 grip
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need help changing 220 grip to the Sig E2 grip Login/Join 
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted
My mid 90s 220 (German) has had Hogue rubbers for a long time. I like the plastics so well I got the GRIPKIT-220-E2 for it. After sitting on the shelf here for some months, I finally started to install the new grip. I have done the same on my mid 90s 228 some time back. Also have the plastics on my 239s. And of course the 225a, and 226.

I got the kit's new decock piece in OK. I got the old hammer strut and spring out.

Is there supposed to be a new shorter main (hammer) spring in the kit?

I cannot see how there is space for the old spring.

There is no instruction sheet in the kit box.

Help!

SIGnature
NRA Benefactor CMP Pistol Distinguished

Posts: 6294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Thinking the extended mainspring seat is required, but not included in the kit. Luckily, there are now some manufacturers offering the mainspring seat in aluminum, and the springs can be had through Wolff.

The long spring was a hold over from the European mag release.

I had the E2 grips for a while before swapping to checkered aluminum.

Posts: 9109 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
I just dug deep in my stuff and found the take-outs from the 228. The 228 strut and spring are intact. So the 228 got a new main spring, and apparently that spring is missing in my 220 kit along with the instructions. Who needs instructions anyway.

SIGnature

Posts: 6294 | Location: Oregon | Registered: September 01, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Master of one hand
pistol shooting
Picture of Hamden106
posted Hide Post
The new strut and plastic spring seat are there. Together, both rather obviously need a shorter spring.

I guess I got to call Sig. I wish I could recall if the kit was straight from Sig or from TGS.

SIGnature