SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Bought a 232
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a 232 Login/Join 
posted
Ran across a black finish 232 Friday. I'd never paid them much attention, although I've seen them from time to time. This appeared to be new in box, had all paperwork and goodies (except maybe the target, if they came that way.) The price was VERY right, so I bought it. I broke it down today and, as I thought, it was perfectly clean. The mags showed no sign of having been loaded, such as drag marks on the followers. It's an interesting gun. I'm looking forward to shooting it.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Watch for slide bite

I had one and used both the Hogue rubber grips and a leather shooting glove to avoid being sliced.

Posts: 33600 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
My brother has a 230 and I(we) never had a problem w/ slide bite. I'm assuming there isn't a difference between the two?

Posts: 7319 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'll make sure to position my hand properly. Slide bite sucks! My wife took four stitches with a 250 once. She kept shooting until I stopped her. Said she might be bleeding in a gun fight, too.

Posts: 17121 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The only gun I’ve ever bought solely for looks is the P230. Being direct blowback, it kinda sucks, but the nice thing is the fixed barrel makes them accurate as all get-out.

Very glad that I can have a P365 with 10 rounds of 9mm in a smaller, lighter, more controllable package these days. But gawt-dam is the P230/232 sexy!

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1859 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gallo Pazzesco
posted Hide Post
Slide bite was/is the issue for me on both my stainless P230 and my black P232. Big meaty hands may be the cause I suspect. I've had others tell me of similar results.

But they sure are good pointers, tact drivers, and pretty pistols. Better than the PPKs imho. I did have a little issue with a gritty slide/rails on the 230 but I honed that out.

Both of them are pretty-much safe queens these days since the wife converted to an LCR ... youngest daughter may take one of them home with her, back to Florida, this Christmas.

Posts: 104 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: September 18, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BuddyChryst:
The only gun I’ve ever bought solely for looks is the P230. Being direct blowback, it kinda sucks, but the nice thing is the fixed barrel makes them accurate as all get-out.

Very glad that I can have a P365 with 10 rounds of 9mm in a smaller, lighter, more controllable package these days. But gawt-dam is the P230/232 sexy!

The recoil of the P230/232 (and other .380 blowback pistols) is uncomfortably sharp, but these pistols are more controllable than a small light 9mm such as the P365.

But, yeah, I understand buying for looks. I have a German Interarms Walther .380 PPK/S. The P230/232 looks pretty. The PPK/S looks, well, business-like. I appreciate both esthetics.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 232 Recoil is robust for a 380ACP. Racking the slide may not be easy for some as well. All things considered, my 232's will be the last to go.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I traded into a new in the box 232sl last spring that came with 5 magazines. I’ve yet to shoot it for some reason but it gives me great joy staring at it and holding it. Hopefully the shooting of it will happen in a few weeks along with the 239 in .40 with the .357 barrel.

Posts: 448 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also find my 232SL's recoil snappy for a sort of heavy pistol. The alloy frame version has definitely got to be attention getting. But I love it and do not plan on getting rid of it.

Posts: 2007 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I as well have a P232, a stainless one with the slanted serrations that I picked up 6 or 7 years ago. it's one little pistol that I can shoot pretty accurately...when I'm not flinching from the harsh blowback recoil that is. At least there's one positive; slide bite isn't an issue for me given my small hands.

Honestly, it's not one of my regulars to pack up for a range visit, though none of my surprising number of .380s (really? I have THAT many?) ever are.

-MG

Posts: 1931 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a west German P230SL- never had an issue with slide bite. It's a bit snappy but a great point shoot pistol and conceals well. This should have been a Bond Pistol over a PPK.

Posts: 263 | Registered: January 22, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Your pictures don't seem to be showing up.... Wink

Posts: 10827 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
380ACP ammo has made great strides in recent years as far as lethality is concerned particularly in micro pistols. Benched my 9mm in favor of the 380 for carry. Love my P232s but prefer the P238 for that purpose. It is smaller, much easier to rack and noticeably lighter on recoil. As a result, return to target is faster. Accuracy is amazingly good.

Posts: 188 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: November 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've never experienced slide bite with my P230... but what you need to watch out for, at least in my experience, is that little spring on the left side of the pistol when you break it down... that puppy can take off and end up in another alternate universe.

Oh, and what ever you do don't take the trigger group apart unless you know exactly what you are doing... took me 8 hours and a lot of research to put one back together.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
A memory just floated up from the murky depths of my mind. Not long after the P232 was released, there were frequent reports of problems with the take-down lever. As I recall (fuzzily) the lever would slip on its shaft.

Something to watch for if you’re jonesing for a P232.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8851 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
I've got a stainless version, but it's been a long time since I've shot it. Gotta break it out.

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38599 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I never shoot or carry this P230SL but it will stay in my collection.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^
Yet another great image photoman. Thanks.

Serious about crackers