SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W model 17. Update. New grips installed pictures of 4
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W model 17. Update. New grips installed pictures of 4 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2000Z-71:
Buy it, put some wood grips on it and shoot the piss out of it.

^^^^^^^^^^
This. It would be a much nicer .22 DA revolver than most(if not all) of the new ones out there, and you wouldn't be diminishing the value in any way.

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I imported a couple dozen of these over the years from Germany. In decent shape they brought @600-$700. That looks like a good buy. The 17 is fun gun to shoot that will hold value. The 14 is a blast too (38 spl). I also have a mod 16 on the way, rare one in 32 s&w long. Looking forward to shooting that one.

“It's never too late to have a happy childhood.”
― Tom Robbins

Posts: 20 | Location: N. FL | Registered: January 18, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mesabi:
That hammer certainly isn't a "later" part!

No, definitely not.
That hammer (the "High-Speed" hammer as it was known) is correct for a 1955 serial number.
With the exception of the grips, it looks all correct.
Great find! Shoot that sucker! Smile

Posts: 91 | Registered: June 24, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's pretty hard to go wrong at that price for any model 17. The model 18, four inch .22 cal version of the venerable model 15 .38 spl. are both the best .22 revolvers Smith and Wesson made. Had a chance to pick up a 17 years ago and have never regretted it.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the input and egging on to buy, I’m now the owner of a K model 17

Picked it up tonight brought it home ant cleaned it up. Looks good want dirty at all. Will take it out for a spin soon. Glad to hear the trigger is correct. I’ll have to find some wood grips

Serial number on the cylinder, barrel and under grip all match

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
I've got a range in my back yard in Clermont. Want to come play?

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12780 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Sure thing i need a range day

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
I’ll have to find some wood grips

The era correct grips will be "K-Frame Diamond Magnas" in S&W parlance.

This is my 1958 era Model 18:

Posts: 1474 | Location: Washington | Registered: August 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thanks I’ll have to locate a set how much do they cost any good sources.?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks I’ll have to locate a set how much do they cost any good sources.?

S&W Forum Classifieds
ebay
Gunbroker
Gun Shows

You should be able to get a decent pair for around $60 or so.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
HRK, Congrats! Let me look around later Saturday. I might have a set of those grips. If I do, I'll make you a deal. I have the target grips for sure (came on the version with the target hammer, and target trigger).

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your purchase. You've got a fine .22 revolver.

As a side note, you may want to hang on the rubber grips, quite a few folks find them more comfortable to shoot with. Save the K-frame diamond magnas for show off sessions.

Posts: 781 | Location: KC Metro MO | Registered: November 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
HRK, I look through my stash of S&W grips. I have the newer version of the small grips without the diamond, and I have a set of the oversized targets. I will give you the target grips if you'll pay shipping. They're in very good shape (no dents, scratches, or scrapes). They could use a cleaning (Murphy's oil soap works well). Refinish them if you'd like.

Drop me an email if you're interested. ID is in my profile.

The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Your next trip should be to go buy a lottery ticket but you just may have used up all your luck with that purchase. Great find!

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1866 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
beltfed21 that sounds great

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
quote:
beltfed21 that sounds great

Drop me an email to let me know which set you want, as well as exchanging addresses, etc.

For shotability, the larger target grips are better.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
beltfed, you have mail!

Thanks The large would be perfect!

Be glad to cover postage.

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
HRK, mail responded too.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Thank you it’s a generous offer look forward to getting them

posted Hide Post
Dang it! Wink After reading through this thread, I found a K-22.

Sweet shooter for sure:

The ones pulled to the right was me: One handed Double Action, support hand.