SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The "chopped" HiPower: FM Detective (and Brownells stippling punches)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "chopped" HiPower: FM Detective (and Brownells stippling punches) Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
Yes, the perfectly proportioned HiPower as some have mentioned in this thread. Too bad FN never added one to their line when they were still making the full sized HP.

Posts: 2006 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
It's pronounced just
the way it's spelled
posted Hide Post
Now think if they had mated the shortened slide assembly to the Aluminum frames they made for some European police departments.

That would be a cool carry gun.

Posts: 1497 | Location: Arid Zone A | Registered: February 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:
Now think if they had mated the shortened slide assembly to the Aluminum frames they made for some European police departments.

A few folks have done this very conversion, and are thrilled with the results.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: GT-40DOC,

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I remember seeing these in Shotgun news for ..
What $299....can't remember exactly.

Always wondered how they performed.

I miss shotgun news

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dewhorse:
I remember seeing these in Shotgun news for ..
What $299....can't remember exactly.

That's about right as I paid $294.50 at my great LGS, First Stop, back in '94. Smile

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that that is the amount that I paid for mine also. Mine looked like new, but had been shot some. I removed the rubber grips and installed some Navidrex wood grips. The finish is actually quite nice, from the factory, on at least some of them.....but not all.

Posts: 6599 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TxRod
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
TxRod,

Your Detective looks great with those rosewood grips. It also looks to have a gloss blue finish. Mine came with a matte finish which I retained when it was reblued. I sometimes think I should have gone for a glossier treatment like yours. Nice!

Thanks, bald1. The finish was okay but I've obsessively polished it (don't ask) with a gun & reel silicone cloth and it's really helped. Yours looks great, too, especially those custom touches. I wanted some Spegel grips like yours but just couldn't find any.

Posts: 488 | Registered: March 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
Here’s a chopped Hi-Power by Paris Theodore’s Seventrees Industries from the 70’s. This is not mine but I did try to buy it when it was for sale in my buddies shop.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
quote:
Originally posted by Nuclear:

A few folks have done this very conversion, and are thrilled with the results.

I have put together an Alloy Detective for carry. I upgraded it with a C&S trigger, SFS,Meprolight sights, a new BHSS Elite barrel and ceracote. It's a joy to shoot and the balance is still pure High power.

I'll post a picture if I can figure out how to do so... I'm new to the forum.

A Sig P238 Legion is my other EDC.

Posts: 1 | Registered: October 03, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Nice FM Detective ! I bet that stippling took some serious patience and steady hands.

Posts: 3122 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
The Detectives, when for sale now, do command high prices.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
The recent thread on "Swiss Sig P-210 - collection" notes the plum color of some P210s. Comments attribute the "color" to one of many possibilities: type of steel, steel treatment, bluing, etc.
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...935/m/4390062194/p/1

Several of the aftermarket parts I bought and installed in 1995 from Cylinder & Slide on my FM Detective also have that same plum coloring. I don't recall the details but I did interact with them about it.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16139 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Don’t HK P7’s exhibit the plum color a lot as well?

Posts: 7331 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've always thought of the FM Detective as being the perfect sized High Power. It looks outstandingly well balanced. Too bad FN never came up with that idea and manufactured them. An all stainless steel version would have been the cat's meow.

Posts: 2006 | Registered: March 07, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
Maybe Springfield will make a short one. I went to their website today and suggested they make a short one and also an alloy frame model.

Maybe more of you will do the same.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: maxwayne,

Posts: 5609 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Don’t HK P7’s exhibit the plum color a lot as well?

Yes, that's pretty common.
My P7 M8 has the plum color.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16481 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
A little comparo with my other preferred CCW pieces:
--9mmP FM M90 Detective (1992) 13/14/15+1
--45ACP DW CCO (2010) 7+1
--380ACP Sig P238 (2010) 6/7+1

Considering upgrading the recoil spring rod with an enhanced one from BHSpringSolutions. This as the ball detent in the factory one looses strength from the internal non-serviceable spring causing slide stop related malfunctions. The replacement has no such internal spring relying on recoil springs instead.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I am pretty sure that I purchased the BHSpringSolutions recoil spring rod and a new set of recoil spring as soon as they were available. I have not installed either to date. Nice to have if the need arises.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
I am pretty sure that I purchased the BHSpringSolutions recoil spring rod and a new set of recoil spring as soon as they were available. I have not installed either to date. Nice to have if the need arises.

I should have back then too when it was $50-$55. Now it's $90. Frown

What ammo does yours prefer?
I like handloaded Hornady 124gr XTP bullets over 3N37 powder or commercial ammo equivalents (i.e. Hornady, Fiocchi, Freedom Munitions, etc.).

As an aside H&G #275 cast 125gr bullets over AA5 or Unique have always been a favorite in my 9mm guns but finding any in recent years has been unsuccessful. If I could source more from a reliable caster along with small pistol primers, I'd give Zip powder a try with them.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
My detective is plenty happy with my reloads(115 plated with Unique powder or power pistol) No problems with PMC 115grFMJ that I keep a good supply of.

My gun is a good performer when I do my part.