SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    The "chopped" HiPower: FM Detective (and Brownells stippling punches)
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

The "chopped" HiPower: FM Detective (and Brownells stippling punches) Login/Join 
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
That is handsome. I have an affection for the idea of the Hi-Power, but they don't really fit my hand very well.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53118 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GT-40DOC:
My detective is plenty happy with my reloads(115 plated with Unique powder or power pistol) No problems with PMC 115grFMJ that I keep a good supply of.

No JHP? I know older hi-powers have a reputation for not handling hollow points due to the "hump" in the feed ramp. I polished mine and with few exceptions JHP work fine.

As an aside I just ordered from BHSpringSolutions (recoil spring guide & improved dual recoil spring set).

quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
That is handsome. I have an affection for the idea of the Hi-Power, but they don't really fit my hand very well.

The "square" wood FN factory grips don't feel good in my hand either but any number of aftermarket grips dramatically improve the hand grip ergonomics!

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I used those stippling tools on 3 of my guns some two plus decades ago. I certainly am not up to that challenge now in my old age. Wink

In addition to the FM Detective, a FN Hi-Power MKIII I built and a Colt 1911 MKIV Series 80 I heavily modified. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never tried running HP ammo through my Detective. I don't/haven't used it for a CCW weapon, even though it would be a very good one. Since it has just been a range gun, I just feed it FMJ pills, and it is sooooo happy.

I also have changed out all of my HP grips for aftermarket ones that fit my hand so mush better. The Navidrex grips are super thin and do a good job for me.

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Uppity Helot
posted Hide Post
Dang Bald1, you had some serious stippling skillz .

Posts: 3128 | Location: Manheim, PA | Registered: September 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:

Thanks! Smile

quote:
I also have changed out all of my HP grips for aftermarket ones that fit my hand so mush better. The Navidrex grips are super thin and do a good job for me.

Over the years (decades Big Grin ) I've had a number of aftermarket grips (Navidrex, Hogue, Herret, Uncle Mike's, etc.) but found I really favored Craig Spegel's.

I "wore out" a Spegel set in dark presentation cocobolo pictured above (it developed a hairline crack - absolutely no reflection on his craftsmanship and probably could be "repaired" by someone skilled) and was blessed to replace it with a prototype bubinga set by Ryan Payne (aka Sarge of the Finer Grain who has now retired) which I re-profiled that my MKIII wears today. Still have a new set of Uncle Mike's Spegel profile grips in my parts box. The others were sold or gifted.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

The 1997 Spegel Cocobolo grips with a hairline crack on the seam (didn't go all the way through but still...) that I sloppily tried to fix with some cement. Decided I didn't want to risk further damage so I put them away.

The grip sides

The NIB Uncle Mike's Spegel design elastomer grips

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Updated.

Probably should have put those grip photos and descriptions in another post rather than edit an existing. Oh well... it worked. Wink

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by divil:

I agree, pretty darn nice....thanks for the pics !

Posts: 921 | Location: Central Ohio | Registered: January 05, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have never owned a pair of Mr. Spegal's grips, but all I hear is praise for his product. A number of years ago the owner of Grips4U had some very nice HP grips for a solid price. I purchased two pair. He later sold out to a group from Chicago(I think) and the price went up 70-80%.

I am a true Grip-a-holic!!!

Posts: 6601 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I got asked, so....

The MKIII I built in 1995 was from a bare slide and forged frame I handpicked from Jack First's "parts bin."
Slide hand fitted to frame; frame hand polished; slide top, back, frame frontstrap, backstrap all stippled; beveled magazine well, trimmed front slight blade height; no magazine disconnector; trigger tuned. Aftermarket parts included Novak sights, Olympic Arms match barrel, Shock-Tec recoil spring guide (German made with integral elastopneumatic damping piston system), Cylinder & Slide "Type II" Commander hammer and wide combat trigger.

It is a range gun only sporting a C&S 22lb hammer (main) spring and a Wolff 18½ lb recoil spring. As an aside my FM M90 Detective employs a C&S 26lb hammer spring.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bald1,

USN (RET), COTEP #192

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Received the BHSpringSolutions "lifetime" FM Detective recoil spring guide rod and a set of their improved heavier gauge dual recoil springs. Man oh man is this stiffer. Roll Eyes
And the guide rod's ball detent, pressured by the recoil springs, makes removing and reinstalling the slide stop lever a real challenge for this old man.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
Thanx for the info.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanx for the info.

I contacted Mark at BHSS about this. He confirmed it is much more "snug" than factory but "not unmanageable." Said it should improve slightly after the springs are broken in with some shooting. Pitched his Extended Slide Stop as a "best solution" ($43.95 before 10% coupon https://bhspringsolutions.com/...extended-slide-stop/ ) as it permits removal with the slide forward as shown in this video he linked: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDw3RJgTA3c&t=119s

No question that while still functional, my recoil springs and factory recoil guide rod are/were weak needing replacement.

I'll continue to use a padded aluminum tool to push the "pimple" on one side followed by levering under the side release on the other for removal and hope over time it will become easy enough to do by hand, as in the past, without "tool assistance."

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I hope that it loosens up for you with time and shooting.

Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I just had to check further.

So I swapped out the new BHSS dual spring set for a new Wolff #53917 17 lb (CZ75 Compact) recoil spring that had been the recommended replacement for the unobtainium factory dual set until BHSS introduced theirs.

Same extreme difficulty removing the slide stop requiring an improvised tool to accomplish things. So I presume it is the detent ball of this new "improved life time" recoil spring rod that is the crux of the problem.

Given that BHSS has only published an alert where two Detective pistols had a failure of the factory guide rod to properly hold the slide stop https://bhspringsolutions.com/...fm-detective-owners/ I figure leaving the factory guide rod installed is very low risk.

So I've reinstalled my fully functional but old factory recoil guide rod and am just keeping the BHSS on hand against a future need. The aggravation of the take down doesn't justify, for me, retaining the new BHSS guide rod installed. I did decide to leave the fresh Wolff spring installed. It won't have the service life of the factory or BHSS replacement dual springs (which looks to be a nice step up in quality from the factory set FWIW) but that's okay; it needed to be used.

USN (RET), COTEP #192

posted Hide Post
I understand what you did and fully agree......these original parts may well outlive us both.