SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    1911 TacOps Hold Open Fail
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

1911 TacOps Hold Open Fail Login/Join 
posted
Recently added a Sig threaded barrel (and suppressor can..) to my TacOps, and noticed the slide hold open is not working reliably. Don't know for sure that it worked prior to adding threaded barrel/can, though, since I hadn't used it much prior to adding the can. I have tried several different mags, and even a different slide lever, but same behavior.
Observing what what was happening, I can see that the slide hold back lever lug, which is normally on top of the mag follower, and which gets pushed up by the follower when the mag is empty, was under the follower whenever the fault occurred. I could not manually get the mag follower to pop above the slide lever lug, it only happens when I fire the firearm. Any ideas how the slide hold back lever lug can get on the wrong side of the mag follower?

Posts: 11 | Registered: October 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The mags I tried were: Sig mags that came with the TacOps pistol, Chip McCormick, and Colt OEM.
I'm sure the Wilson mag is splendid, and might not suffer this issue, but it shouldn't happen with all of these mags, either. Something is amiss. Could it be the addition of the suppressor?
I need to go to the range and do the experiment, just don't know when I will get there, and hoping someone will have seen this and provide insight into what is happening.
[QUOTE]Originally posted by DSgrouse:
what mags?

I recomend wilson 47d's
https://shopwilsoncombat.com/1...Pad/productinfo/47D/

posted Hide Post
It could. There would be additional back pressure. Are you shooting thumbs forward? Could you post a picture with the failure (or correct version)

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Does it happen all the time, or only when shooting suppressed? If all the time, possibly barrel fit, if only suppressed, possibly due to the added weight of the suppressor causing it to short stroke a little.

Posts: 5163 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have to get to the range next, and try a couple of experiments:
1. can on vs can off
2. original barrel vs. threaded barrel
3. other?
Also will try and get a photo of the error condition.

I thought maybe it was short stroking, due to the mass of the can, but there are no FTE or FTF symptoms. It only fails to hold back (most of the time, not always....).
Looking closely at the hardware after a failure to hold back, it appears the mag follower(s) are jumping over the slide lever "lug", the part of the lever that it should be pushing up against. Once in this condition, after firing the last round, the fault remains, i.e. it will not hold back when manually cycling the slide. But by pulling the mag out and re-inserting it, the hold back function is restored. Why? The follower pulls past the lever lug, so that it is once again below the lever, and the fault is cleared. Now it will hold back normally, when the slide is manually cycled. However, when fired, it almost always reverts back to the fault condition, with the mag follower once again on top of the hold back lever lug. The screwy thing is there does not seem to be enough room for follower to "squeeze by" and get on top of the lever, i.e. I cannot manually "wiggle" the follower around and over the lever lug. So how/why does it happened on the last shot fired?
There is only one opportunity for this to occur, that is when the half-moon cut out on the slide is aligned with the take down "window", as when dismantling the firearm, then the pin could potentially displace enough for the follower to squeeze by. However, I tried an experiment- pushed the pin in tight against the frame with my left hand while firing, to prevent it from displacing, and the follower still ends up on top of the lever after the last round.
So how does the mag follower get on the wrong side of the hold back lever?

quote:
Originally posted by DaBigBR:
Does it happen all the time, or only when shooting suppressed? If all the time, possibly barrel fit, if only suppressed, possibly due to the added weight of the suppressor causing it to short stroke a little.