SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Early 220 rails?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Early 220 rails? Login/Join 
posted
Picked up a perfect 220ST from a member (thank you sigmonkey). The frames were still made in Germany, and had a slight curve to them, not flat like a pic rail.

Why were they rounded? Was there ever a light that would fit them?

Was looking at it and thought they could possibly be milled flat, but don't want to ruin the value.
This is the gun Ernie Langdon ran in the early 2000's and beat all the 1911 guys in early IDPA

Posts: 1661 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Someone else will come along with more information, but the early P220STs’ attachment rails were for a proprietary compensator. Long ago someone here posted his plan/idea to machine the rail off—for aesthetics, I suppose—but I don’t recall reading that he ever did it.

It would be good to see a picture of that classic.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 1661 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
I think this is not the earliest rail. My 2 P220 ST guns had the first rail. Maybe from around 1995?

Posts: 17922 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
That's the same proprietary SIG rail that is on all the metal frame P-series railed guns, except the Picatinny rail that is on the Combat and the MK25.

The one that sigfreund mentioned is the different and smaller rail that is on the P220 Sport to accommodate the separate compensator or weight.

Q

Posts: 26506 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
That's the same proprietary SIG rail that is on all the metal frame P-series railed guns, except the Picatinny rail that is on the Combat and the MK25.

The one that sigfreund mentioned is the different and smaller rail that is on the P220 Sport to accommodate the separate compensator or weight.

Ah, yes. Thanks.

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47420 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a first generation P220ST as well. They used the P220 Sport frame and proprietary rail.

Posts: 1076 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Military Arms Collector
Picture of darkest2000
posted Hide Post
This is the early style rail that is frankly just...very unsightly.

Posts: 10833 | Location: Orange County, CA, USA | Registered: March 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post