SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Trigger on W German Sigs versus later Sigs
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Trigger on W German Sigs versus later Sigs Login/Join 
posted
It has been a while since having a W German Sig and this P225 is a real pleasure to shoot. It’s trigger subjectively seems much better. I have not measured pull. Are early Sigs better than later Sigs as far as triggers?

Mine is date code KB.
https://share.icloud.com/photo...1_0AJaaMRYLABiLEe1bQ

Posts: 2560 | Location: Ark, USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tschiemer:
It has been a while since having a W German Sig and this P225 is a real pleasure to shoot. It’s trigger subjectively seems much better. I have not measured pull. Are early Sigs better than later Sigs as far as triggers?

Mine is date code KB.
https://share.icloud.com/photo...1_0AJaaMRYLABiLEe1bQ

As you said, it's subjective. But, I agree. The older guns seem to have a better trigger, especially in the double action mode.

The older stamped mainspring seat moves the bottom of the spring further away from the frame and the resulting geometry gives a different feel. Towards the rear of the trigger stroke the hammer axle takes more of the springs load, resulting in a little "let off".

Like a compound bow, the DA trigger weight seems to get a little lighter toward the end of the trigger stroke. In the SA mode, the older spring seat puts a little less force on the sear and more on the axle.

I've put the older stamped spring seats in my newer p226 replacing the plastic seat. It has the same trigger feel as an older p226.

Replace this

With this

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ken226
posted Hide Post
I had to hunt a bit, but these pics show the spring, seat, hammer angle difference.

Posts: 1563 | Location: WA | Registered: December 23, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’ve got classic SIGs ranging from early-mid 90s (including German made) to late 2000s. You blind taste test me and I probably wouldn’t tell the difference, except MAYBE my very well used P229. And that one I was worried about changing to SRT (a long time ago) cuz I was worried about the trigger changing. Didn’t notice a difference except the reset.

So in my experience, no. But even though at least one is marked W Germany, it was likely assembled several years after unification.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Firearms Enthusiast
Picture of Mustang-PaPa
posted Hide Post
Well this topic certainly is subjective. But I find the exact opposite to be my preference.

I took two similar W-German P226-9mm and found that replacing the metal based MSH with the then newer longer plastic based MSH assemble to be much smoother feeling in Da then the older metal based MSH assemblies.

I change the pain in the ass to change metal based assemblies out in all my sigs and replace them with the plastic based easy to change springs in MSH assemblies. I keep all original parts bagged and marked for each gun so I can return them to original configuration if wanted.
I knew what I thought felt best but I used my wife who shoots very little and knows nothing about anything guns and had her pull them through and she also came to the same conclusion as I. I used completely stock assemblies with new springs and even switched the assemblies between to two guns used and each time she would choose the plastic based MSH assembly.

Posts: 18034 | Location: South West of Fort Worth, Tx. | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
I've experienced them both ways. There are no rhymes or reasons to it. W. German SIGs that have lousy triggers, and others that have excellent ones. Same goes for the US made SIGs. All stock guns.

Q

Posts: 26375 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
quote:
Well this topic certainly is subjective. But I find the exact opposite to be my preference.

That’s been my experience as well. My KA P228 was worked on by Bruce’s team many years ago and the newer MSH assembly was installed. It is fantastic, but I’ve changed springs and replaced components using GGI parts with even better results. My MK25 and P229ST have the best DA triggers in my collection and the only things I did were install the SRT kit and the fat custom strut.

Posts: 2956 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Austin228
posted Hide Post
I used to say W German/German had all the best triggers.

Since then have added US P226's and P229.

Those have very good triggers on par with my list of W German P226

I still like my P6 trigger best of the all metal classics.

The trigger may just perfectly broken in from its past Police service IDK.

If I can count SP2022 w/German frame as a SIG Classic (I do personally) it has honestly the best trigger of any SIG DA/SA (for me).

SP2022 is great fun to shoot; it has a good trigger, 100% reliable and accurate.

(definitely pick one up for cheap if you don't have one)

Posts: 1471 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: March 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I might say a DA/SA SIG trigger is just that. But a Sigpro trigger is even more so. Wink

Long live the FCU

Posts: 3516 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Seems like the 8mm trigger pulls easier than the 10mm version.

It may have something to do with the fact that the only P220 I have with the 10mm wide trigger is the 10mm P220.

Using the short reset kit in most of them.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dking271:
quote:

That’s been my experience as well. My KA P228 was worked on by Bruce’s team many years ago and the newer MSH assembly was installed. It is fantastic, but I’ve changed springs and replaced components using GGI parts with even better results. My MK25 and P229ST have the best DA triggers in my collection and the only things I did were install the SRT kit and the fat custom strut.

I tend to agree as well, with the additional thought of the Newington era guns generally coming with slightly better triggers than those made/assembled during the Exeter years.

I genuinely developed a distaste for the excessive amounts of creep that seemed endemic with the SRTs that came on many Exeter-marked P-SIGs, especially during the early years of the short-reset trigger makeovers. But recent made short reset P-SIGs by and large don't have the same kind of creepy takeup feel as a couple of my older SRT P226s do. To me that a significant step forward.

-MG

Posts: 1987 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a P225/P6 from 1984. IMO the trigger on this pistol is not as good over all as a 2000s P226 and P229 with the SRT installed.

I did have a P220 9mm Euro from 1987 that had a great SA trigger.

+

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience year made doesn’t matter. W. German P226 that was police trade in back in 1993 smooth DA, 1994 W. German P220 stiff DA, 1997 P229 40 smooth as silk DA, 1998 P2340 smooth, 2000 P239 40 smooth as silk, 2001 P220 stiff DA, 2003 P220 two tone nickel stiff DA, 2003 P226 40 smooth, 2004 P220 smooth, 2010 P226 40 smooth.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post