SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Why do people seem to hate the DAK trigger?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why do people seem to hate the DAK trigger? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bulldog7972:
The differences in those split times will be meaningless in a real gun fight.

Yes, of course. But it’s something only some of us know, while others aren’t convinced.

As someone recently posted in a different thread, though, this is truly the golden age of handguns in this country and we’re very fortunate to have so many choices: Choose and be happy, or as the old saying advises, “Keep calm and carry on.”
The fact that the DAK trigger system exists and has a small, albeit highly perceptive (Wink) following doesn’t threaten the existence of more popular types in any way. Smile

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I started shooting revolvers, 40 or so years ago. And, I generally carry a 1911 now. The thumb safety is intuitive for me. So much so that when we had to carry Glocks, I still found myself sweeping off an imaginary thumb safety every once in a while.

I now often carry a P239 DAK off duty. It shoots like a revolver, something I’m good at. And, goes back to rest, like a revolver. IF I sweep the imaginary thumb safety, no big deal. But, I REALLY don’t want to holster a cocked TDA. And, I’m afraid I would forget to decock it as I’m just not used to using one.

If I had to choose and carry the same gun all the time, I would likely prefer a Sig with the TDA, train appropriately and, remember to decock it.

But, I don’t. Revolver simple works for me.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sgt 127:
I started shooting revolvers, 40 or so years ago. And, I generally carry a 1911 now. The thumb safety is intuitive for me. So much so that when we had to carry Glocks, I still found myself sweeping off an imaginary thumb safety every once in a while.

I now often carry a P239 DAK off duty. It shoots like a revolver, something I’m good at. And, goes back to rest, like a revolver. IF I sweep the imaginary thumb safety, no big deal. But, I REALLY don’t want to holster a cocked TDA. And, I’m afraid I would forget to decock it as I’m just not used to using one.

If I had to choose and carry the same gun all the time, I would likely prefer a Sig with the TDA, train appropriately and, remember to decock it.

But, I don’t. Revolver simple works for me.
Sgt
I appreciate and enjoyed reading your post. You provided a good rundown for lot of us older folk who sometimes like to reminisce. I started with S&W model 19 and Ruger Police Service Six and did well enough learning to shoot double action. Then I went to Gunsite Academy when Jeff Cooper and Chuck Taylor were teaching. It’s been nearly 40 years and that 1911 training has stuck with me. The 1911 feels best in my hands, but don’t mind other weapons. The Glock is my house gun because they always run and require very little maintenance. The revolver is often overlooked as good standby and could still be carried or used for home defense.

Posts: 2047 | Location: East Central Toadsuck, Florida | Registered: September 04, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a 229 DAK to have a consistent trigger pull and like it. I shoot single action and striker for the same reason. I think the demise in DAK were timing. The striker fired (other than glock) guns were coming out. And the ccw gun phase. DAK was never brought out in a small gun, just small tanks.

Posts: 281 | Location: Outside St. Louis | Registered: June 14, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because it sucks compared to DA/SA. Why do you care what others think?

Posts: 1871 | Registered: June 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lol,ok.

Posts: 5743 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of warbird1
posted Hide Post
I learned to shoot on a Colt Diamondback in 1979. I still shoot a lot of DA in both revolvers and pistols. I could care less about shooting in competition. I own two DAK's and one of them is my home defense gun. I'm a fan.

If I want it... I need it !

Posts: 44 | Location: Heart of Dixie | Registered: May 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the DAK trigger is great. I really like the HK LEM trigger, which is similar in function, too.

My DAK pistols weren't cheap when I bought them, but I still like them.

Posts: 6650 | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShoreGuy
posted Hide Post
I cut my teeth on DA/SA Sigs and was happy had carrying my issued Glock 19, but when I switched agencies and was issued a P229R DAK, I eventually grew to really like it. I have small hands and put the short triggers in my Sigs so I liked how the DAK ran with the short trigger. I’d like to acquire one again.

West German P228 (first duty weapon)
GOTM Nickel P229

Posts: 79 | Location: NC | Registered: March 09, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Got a good deal on a P220 DAK so bought it. Was not sure I would like it but after shooting it I warmed up to it and really like it. I did grow up with revolvers when I first joined the police dept. then in 1987 we transition to the Sig P226 and I became accustomed to the SA/DA, and therfore did not anticipate I would care for the DAK but to my suprise I really liked it and have carried it since 2007.

Posts: 385 | Registered: December 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We issued P226's in .357 Sig with the DAK trigger for the last 11 years before transitioning this year to the P320. I have at least 50,000 rounds through my P226 DAK.

-we went to it because a component of our agency could not handle the DA/SA of the P226's we were carrying prior.

-the best way I heard it described was as a magazine fed revolver. It is a long deliberate trigger, and if you use the first (shorter) reset, it seems to inspire jerking the trigger.

-when we adopted them, we were told we could buy anything we wanted as long as it was a Sig by our former Chief Deputy. This was well before the P250 and P320. They wanted something to correct the problems that a segment of the agency was having with the DA/SA pistols.

-now that we have switched to P320's, we have not had a single failure to qualify of the 800+ people who transitioned to the P320.

If it works for you, by all means, keep it. I was able to acquire my issued pistol through a buyback, and that's the only DAK I plan on keeping.

What, me worry?

Posts: 2126 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: September 27, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post