SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 combat 45 for P220 scorpion 10mm tell me why or why not?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 combat 45 for P220 scorpion 10mm tell me why or why not? Login/Join 
Picture of Mutiny
posted
So I have wanted a 10mm p220 and as the title suggests, have the opportunity to trade my .45 combat for a 10mm scorpion. On the surface, it seems to satisfy my want. Any reason why not?

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Has the .45 proven to work reliably?
Do you like the .45?
Can you can afford the 10mm without a sale or trade of another gun?
Do you have the space or spouse Smile to add another gun or do you need to trade out?

If you said yes to the above then I would never trade a good reliable gun that I liked for another “unknown quantity”. I MIGHT sell after I got the new gun and found it to be reliable and as or more fun but not before.

There are eleventy billion thread about the gun somebody regrets getting rid of. So if you don’t need to get rid of a gun you enjoy don’t.

My 2 cents.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7686 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Will they let you dissasemble and inspect the 10mm? Can you take it to the range to make sure it is everything you want it to be?

How attached are you to the Combat and does it hold any sentimental value? There are other things besides monetary value to consider.

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
All things being equal, the only reason I can think of to pass on the 10mm is ammo costs. Personally, I'd think the 10mm is a lot more fun to shoot; that's certainly the case for me with a reverse-two-tone 10mm and a standard 220/.45ACP.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
I had a 1911 and P220 in 45. After I got a 10mm, I lost all interest in 45ACP. 45 weighs twice as much as 9mm, takes twice the space of 9mm, costs about 66% more than 9mm, but is nowhere near twice as potent as 9mm.

I realize a lot 10mm range ammo is only a little more powerful than 40S&W, but if I spend the money on Underwood, Buffalo Bore, and Double Tap, I can get 10mm ammo that is twice as potent as 9mm.

Thanks to the 10mm renaissance of the past couple years, if you look hard, you can find 10mm ammo for the same price or less than 45ACP. I'm sitting on a case that I bought in 2019 for under 25cpr.

Funny thing is if you look hard right now, you can find 10mm for less than the price of 45 or even 9mm. I never thought I'd see 10mm cost less than 9mm. Eek
This morning Sportsman's Guide had 10mm for 37cpr. Of course it went quickly.

https://www.sportsmansguide.co...000-rounds?a=1948289

Posts: 3187 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
All good feedback- thanks guys.
Yes I can disassemble/inspect as it's a local deal. Not sure about shooting it though.
I honestly have not shot my p220 45 in 4 years. I have a few other 45's that seem to make it into the range bag. So there isn't any sentimental attachment. Most everything in the safe is 9mm or 45 right now.
I currently have nothing in 10mm and have been wanting one for whatever reason.
So it's really just swapping something collecting dust in the safe for a similar weapon in a caliber I'd like to try. I wasn't sure if there was a reason that either 10mm in a p220 was a worse idea, and if the Scorpion was any lesser of a pistol to the Combat.

Posts: 479 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
If that is the case, the worst thing the 10mm could do is collect dust?

Ammunition should be easier to find also.

Swapping seems like a good idea from someone who already has a 10mm P220. Wink

Posts: 9160 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
ability to find ammo is important. I have plenty of .45 etc, but since this is my first 10mm, I have none.

Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
The supply of 5.56 and 9mm comes and goes. The supply of anything else comes and goes - a lot. .45 or 10mm, the old adage about "buy cheap and stack deep" will continue to apply for the foreseeable future.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
If that is the case, the worst thing the 10mm could do is collect dust?

Ammunition should be easier to find also.

10mm? You'd think. Maybe it is, but it's still a tough go.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post