SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Taylor's/Uberti Cattleman 12-shot .22LR revolver overview/review (video included)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Taylor's/Uberti Cattleman 12-shot .22LR revolver overview/review (video included) Login/Join 
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted
I got this nice "SAA" type 12-shot .22 revolver from Classic Firearms a week or so back and finally got to shoot it. It handles like any "traditional" SAA other than it's a .22LR and there are 12 chambers. Shoots well, looks good, and feels good. It's a bit heavier than a .45 SAA due to the smaller bore diameter, and obviously the recoil is much less, but it's a lot of fun to shoot.

It may or may not have the new Uberti retracting firing pin system (I didn't look that close) but honestly I don't really care because either way I'm not loading and carrying 12.

Rather than loading 1 and skipping 1, and loading four (what some call the "John Wayne load" or the cowboy load, on this one you load 3 and skip one and load 8, and then cock the hammer and lower it on an empty chamber. Or if you're at the range just load 12 and shoot them immediately. It's funny to be shooting an SAA and go past 6 shots. Your brain wants you to stop and reload but the hogleg just keeps shooing. LOL

Shoots pretty much to POA for me, or a couple inches above the front sight at roughly 18 yards, which is perfect for my purposes.

Anywho, here's a video overview and first shoot for any interested.
https://youtu.be/2sB5gQdCL18

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3210 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That's a very pretty gun, and a lot of rounds in a revolver! I'm glad to see more quality single-action .22 options in a market that is inundated with cheap pot-metal guns. I really enjoy shooting rimfire from handguns with solid construction and heft, like my MkII Target and Single-Six. Is yours built on the same frame as Uberti's centerfire 1873? While the Single-Six is solidly built and has good heft, it's still a tad smaller than my Blackhawks...enough that you can feel it.

I also noticed that the ejector seems to line up very well with the ratchet clicks on your gun, which is nice. On my Single-Six, you have to rotate it just a hair past the click to get the rod to clear the chamber opening...only a minor annoyance to me since I'm used to it, but people who aren't familiar with the gun tend to struggle with it.

Thanks for sharing...that looks to be an excellent option for somebody looking for a quality rimfire SAA clone.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Thats fantastic 1Kperday. I really like that a lot. Very high capacity on a 22 revolver.

I think that would be fantastic for a starting shooter.

BTW, clean up that 22 brass off your floor Smile

Judging by the video, your have hulk-like forearms or there is not much recoil.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
What a fantastic revolver!

Light years beyond what the other offerings are by the competitors!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Nice looking iron.....ha

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Yeah it’s a full size SAA frame and has nearly no recoil since it’s a .22 and weighs more than a centerfire SAA due to the smaller bore. On my old 3-screw single-six the chambers line up with the ejector rod but I understand on the new models they don’t. That would bug me. The Wrangler is apparently free-spinning, which would bug me also.

posted Hide Post
I have a similar Uberti (Taylor and Co branded) 6 shot 22. They are well made guns. Fun shooters. I can’t hit shit with mine though. The blade and groove sights play hell with my eyes. Mine is also a 22WMR convertible but I have never shot a 22WMR in my life.

I discovered the “safety” lock notch on the cylinder pin by accident. Locks up gun, on purpose, which I think is a smart idea for just in case.

Nice guns I wish I had gotten your 12 shot version. And a brass frame. The brass frames speak to me.

Posts: 7473 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I have a similar Uberti (Taylor and Co branded) 6 shot 22. They are well made guns. Fun shooters. I can’t hit shit with mine though. The blade and groove sights play hell with my eyes. Mine is also a 22WMR convertible but I have never shot a 22WMR in my life.

I discovered the “safety” lock notch on the cylinder pin by accident. Locks up gun, on purpose, which I think is a smart idea for just in case.

Nice guns I wish I had gotten your 12 shot version. And a brass frame. The brass frames speak to me.

Do they make a brass framed version? I imagine that would be a tad heavier still. I had a hard time shooting groups with this but only because my eyes are getting old and with my current prescription I have to choose either sharp focus on the targets and blurry sights, or no prescription and sharp sights but very blurry targets. It’s frustrating.

I can hit the plates well enough but for precise work I’m SOL unless I get bifocals or something.

Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
BTW I checked and it appears this has the new retracting firing pin mechanism. You can see the firing pin move forward as you lower the hammer with the trigger pulled. I’m still not carrying it with a round under the hammer.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
On my old 3-screw single-six the chambers line up with the ejector rod but I understand on the new models they don’t. That would bug me. The Wrangler is apparently free-spinning, which would bug me also.

Yep, mine is a New Model, so that makes sense. My son has a Wrangler, and it is indeed a free-spin pawl. It's one of the things that really bothers me about it as well.

Posts: 8568 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post