SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Nice Air Pistols acquired. Best pellets and oil?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nice Air Pistols acquired. Best pellets and oil? Login/Join 
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted
So I picked up four neat air pistols at an auction recently, a Pardini, a Baikal, CZ CO2 pistol along with a recoilless Weihrauch. The triggers are all insanely light. Several of them adjustable.

So I got to get some ammo, which .177 pellets seem to work best for consistency/accuracy?

Any other air pistol tips? Many thanks!

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SIGnified,

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I don't know the answer myself, but (FWIW) the Russians were big air gun and small-bore competitors. Their .22LR target loads found a lot of fans in the US, too. My thought is that if you can find Russian pellets then you might also find that nothing works better in your new Baikal.

And, yes, I'm jealous about the Baikal.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I wanted a Baikal for a long time…

Almost 2 decades ago, a group of us from Seattle drove down to Sacramento to train with Bruce Gray. Later that evening it was barbecue time in his backyard, when he brought out the most beautiful air pistols.

It was a Jedi mindtrick shooting those things. Just lay your finger on the trigger, think the thought that it got sent. Pop!

Here is a photo of it finally in my hands. Pulled out the EDC and threw it in the picture as is custom here’bouts.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Here is the C Z CO2 pistol with the weighted barrel.

The old playing card is the manual… Lol

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
H&N, RWS, Eley, JSB, Champion's Choice (made by H&N) are all good choices.

.177 Diabolo match quality pellets come in varied weights and even diameters.

Its very likely that each of your eclectic collection would favor different pellets.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: RichardC,

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
H&N, RWS, Eley, JSB, Champion's Choice (made by H&N) are all good choices.

.177 Diabolo match quality pellets come in varied weights and even diameters.

Its very likely that each of your eclectic collection would favor different pellets.

Thank you for that… Like everything else, one size never fits all. Wink

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
lots of good brands come in diameters. I've mostly been using Eley and its way better than me. Match Air guns (at least mine) don't have the same some ammo works well and somethings don't that match .22's have. All the match stuff seems to go about the same to me. But I'm not an world class shooter.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SIGnified, I am jealous of your nice score!
IF any of them need work, or repair, consult first with BakerAirguns.com They service many, and do good work.

As to pellets, try to find 'samplers' first. I know that RWS offers them, for sure. Typically about 20 pellets each of several of their top varieties offered. Be sure to to swab out the bores between types. Some have different coatings, and/or surface hardness.

Posts: 379 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
Very nice and welcome to the Club.

Not sure where the "dughouse" is at in the U.S., but, you might live in an area with a Schützenverein (German air rifle/pistol club).

Our Schützenverein is located in St. Louis MO and we have competitions with Chicago IL, Peoria IL, Cincinnati OH, Columbus OH, Detroit MI. Just like in the Olympics, the range is set up for 10 meters. Pistols are shot single-handed. Rifles are shot free-standing, and if you are 55+, you can in addition use a standing single peg rest.

Our membership shoots similar pistols to yours and we favor "match" pellets. For practice and competitions, we use RWS R-10 match pellets.

RichardC also gave you some other good pellet alternatives.

While there may be differences between brands, the type of pistol you bought is capable of repetitively hitting the bullseye from a rest. The rest is all on the shooter and hence I doubt anyone other than an Olympic level shooter would see a practical difference between different "match" pellets from one manufacturer to the next.

Feel free to reach out if you live anywhere in the Midwest where I have the strongest connections, or anywhere else for that matter, and would like to check out a local Club.

Here is a pic of my rifle and pistol:

Posts: 3718 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Awesome information fellers … digging it!

I ordered various pellets … will give ‘em a go. Need to build a decent backstop next. I have the area already.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
Here's my Baikal MP (IZH) 46M. Bought it almost 10 years ago and it still works great.

As far as pellets, I use RWS Meisterkugeln Pistol .177.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16676 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Lookin’ great!

Keep ‘em coming.

Wife said she’s up for the Schützenverein; more than I would have ever guessed, but we drive Pcars and have GSDs … lol Big Grin

~Robert A. Heinlein

posted Hide Post
It's true you'll just have to try a few to see which shoot best in the indivdual guns. I have a fairly nice collection of match and non match pellets I've piled up over the years just testing them in various guns. Wadcutters make the nice easy to score holes, but in some guns they don't always give the best accuracy.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Pellet orders arriving in the mail now… Dribbling in different manufactures and rounds. Gotta go work on the backstop.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Try to find owner's manuals for each.
With differing mechanisms and seal materials, they may have very different requirements,
like,

what kind of oil goes where.

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
What a score! I’m envious. I shot air rifle and 3 position small bore in college and started an air pistol team. I’d love to start shooting any of those again for fun. I can’t believe I was paid a scholarship to shoot back then. Those were the days.

Posts: 6009 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Thanks again everybody!

Downloading manuals and reading … Is 3in1 oil nonvolatile in an air gun pressure chamber? I have a lot of it.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
https://www.pyramydair.com/blo...bricants-part-three/

Pyramydair is a great resource.

Not sure about 3 in 1 in airgun chambers, so don't use it until/unless you verify its suitability.

Not igniting is important and so is not damaging seals.

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Looks like I’ll have to do some research on the volatility of dieseling some oil.

Meantime, pellets keeps showing up in the mailbox. Here’s the Pardini Fiocci K 58.

It looks like the previous owner put some schmoo all over the grip that will have to come off.

And it looks like it was the 78th production model if the serial number means anything.

~Robert A. Heinlein

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
Spent the afternoon on the back deck with a pocket knife and a brass toothbrush. Eventually got down to a very fine awl.

Not done… just done for today. Was covered in expoxy, of which most came off easily.

~Robert A. Heinlein