SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Excellent guns that just don't make sense on paper
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Excellent guns that just don't make sense on paper Login/Join 
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted
What guns do you have that don't really make sense when you consider them on paper, but just flat-out work for you? I'm not talking about safe-queens or collectors pieces, but actual carry guns that you regularly use.

My P245 is that for me. It's a large, heavy gun with a 7 round capacity. It has a DA/SA trigger, and is chambered in the increasingly touted to be obsolete .45 ACP cartridge. It's somewhat rust-prone, and the felt-recoil has been described as stout by some. It's expensive, out of production, and parts can be hard to find. With all the options out there today, this isn't really a gun that anybody should choose.

Despite all that, I love this gun. I've been carrying it for about a year now when I'm not at work, and it is perfect for me. It knocks off just enough bulk from the P220 to be EDC-able, yet retains it's supurb trigger and shooting characteristics. It's well-balanced and reliable, comes into action without the need to disengage a manual safety, yet remains a very safe design. And it also has some old-school character, which I'll admit is one of the reasons I like it.

Since this photo I've added an SRT kit and night sights, which have turned it into my favorite carry gun of all time. Even with ammo being scarce I always try to put a few mags through it each range trip just to stay in practice. I did that today after I got done breaking in the little Beretta, and those big 230 grain slugs very satisfyingly tore the center out of the target.

So here's mine. What's yours?

Posts: 8631 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
I’ll go ahead and dispense with the obvious one.

1911. The gun weighs 2,5 lbs empty Holds 7 or 8 rounds. You have to carry it cocked. It’s expensive to get it to run. Its more difficult to field strip than most modern guns. You have to maintain it carefully to get it to run. But dammit. I shoot it better than almost anything I’ve ever shot.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7962 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The love it or hate it P250. In the soon to be obsolete .45ACP
The rear sight.... Proprietary! Eek
Love mine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16112 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Whack-Job
Whisperer
Picture of 18DAI
posted Hide Post
S&W 4566. Just......perfect, for me. And despite all the nervous nancy's on the gunboards crying about "No spare parts!" and "No manufacturer support!", I have yet to break anything. Or have a single malfunction. Going on two decades using the 4566.

I change the recoil spring every 3K rounds and keep it lubed. It keeps shooting. Reliably and accurately. Great pistol! Smile Regards 18DAI

7+1 Rounds of hope and change

Posts: 4231 | Registered: August 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Rossi 720 3" 44 Special for me.

Yes, it's "off brand".

Yes, it's a 5 shot revolver.

But, I can't help loving them. So much that I have a pair. .44 special is one of my favorite cartridges, and still very potent. Occasionally I'll carry one of them, but usually its a 43X with three mags because of capacity.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I'm surprised no one's mentioned the P220 in 9mm, particularly with the heel-clip magazine. Comparing brochure blurbs, it's a non-starter. Actually having one around and shooting it, it's a joy.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In today’s world of good, small 9mm pistols the P239 doesn’t make sense. It’s a great shooter and still carries easily.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
My 1994 'Big' Pony

Posts: 4039 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
PX4 subcompact. On paper it's too big for a subcompact, weighs too much. Not to me. Shoots like a laser, is 13+1, outstanding trigger, especially after Burke worked it over, and takes a factory sleeve 17rd mag for backup.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Glock 43 - low capacity, and “bigger” than say a P365 or a Hellcat - regardless it carries better for me than either of those. While the 43X is nice my favorite is still the G43...

Posts: 1970 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Glock 21 in 38 Super.

Posts: 9166 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
There's some good stuff here. Amazing that the G43 is making the list. It doesn't seem all that long ago when that thing came out and everybody wanted one.

Posts: 8631 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Beretta 92 compact. It’s YUGE for a compact by the numbers but in practice it’s a great gun.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
Beretta 92 compact. It’s YUGE for a compact by the numbers but in practice it’s a great gun.

Good call on that one. I'd trade body parts for a nice 92 compact Type M.

posted Hide Post
I love the P239. Many on here and elsewhere poopoo it saying it's obsolete, too heavy, too big and doesn't hold enough rounds etc. It 'sucks' enough, on paper, that even Sig Sauer discontinued and abandoned it.

But, it's an amazing carry piece that also shoots amazingly well. Between the P239 and the P229, both in .357Sig, I have no need for another.

Sig Sauer still doesn't make anything I'd rather have.

God Bless You and Your House,

Mark
www.bikersforchrist.org

Posts: 233 | Registered: November 10, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
It's hard not to love a 1911. I can't argue with that choice at all. I don't carry them because I don't like manual safeties, but I own a couple and agree that they definitely meet the definition of "excellent guns"!

I'm seeing some love for the P239, too. I shot a P239 once back early in my shooting career, had a bad experience, and haven't touched one since. Maybe I need to re-evaluate that and give it another shot. I tend to really like guns of the "compact" or "large subcompact" form factor, especially single-stacks, I just had some ergonomic issues with that one. My shooting technique has improved somewhat over the years, so maybe that would be a non-issue today.

Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
What is funny is this subject is just a Johnny Come Lately or flavor of the month deal. Someone will come out with something new and all of a sudden “that’s what you should be carrying!”

When I daily carried a P239 in 357sig, it was “too low capacity”, and “too heavy for what it is”. Then it was “you need to be able to fight with your CCW” and they meant double stack, high capacity, etc. Then all of a sudden everyone is buying single stack subcompacts like the 43. I was like really? Just a few years ago you said my 239 was low capacity????

In reality, carry what you want. Carry something you shoot well and that is comfortable for you to carry, or something you don’t mind dressing around. It’s your money, and your life, so don’t listen too much to others. If you shoot it well, it’s reliable and comfortable for you to carry, then it doesn’t much matter what others are carrying. What I carry starts and stops on the range. How small or large it is, is irrelevant if I don’t shoot it well. Everyone’s hands are different, recoil pulse tolerant, different, trigger preference, etc, etc.

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12648 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
What I carry starts and stops on the range. How small or large it is, is irrelevant if I don’t shoot it well. Everyone’s hands are different, recoil pulse tolerant, different, trigger preference, etc, etc.

I agree 100%, and that has always been the deciding factor for me as well.

The really cool thing about the "Johnny Come Lately" aspect of gun culture is that if you can avoid buying into the hype and watch the market, there are some great deals to be had on excellent guns that are no longer the flavor of the month. I'm happy to help folks try out the fancy new stuff by giving them $0.50 on the dollar or less for some of the proven good stuff they're trading in for it. The trick is timing it right and buying when a model is no longer popular, but before it becomes a "classic".

fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
J frame in 38 Special. Need I eleborate? Wink

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
J frame in 38 Special. Need I eleborate? Wink

You do not.

Posts: 462 | Location: Illinois | Registered: June 13, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post