SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    My P 365 is going on temporary suspension
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My P 365 is going on temporary suspension Login/Join 
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
Now that I've shot one I must admit that I really like it. Dunno if I can actually trust it but I do like how it shoots. That particular gun didn't unintentionally lock back on the last round once, about the fourth or fifth mag. Surprised me for a moment, then I realized that it's a SIG I was holding. If I can unintentionally make a P226 X-Five fail to lock back on the last shot, how much harder would it be to make a relatively puny 365 do the same thing? It's not that hard at all. The initial instance was with the 10rd magazine. Intentionally did it again later in the session using a 12rd mag. SIG and their slide stop positioning; made a conscious change to my thumb position on the gun and no surprise it didn't happen again.

But away from the controlled confines of a shooting range I suspect that in the heat of the moment it WOULD happen again, given the manner that my muscle memory has been long since forged by other guns that don't do this on a regular basis. Kind of annoying, but almost all SIG pistols that are not 1911s are that irksome way though it's not by any means enough to make me dislike the gun. Especially since it's not a design I would ever care to get into a prolonged gun fight with.

There's a part of me that kind of wants one. But most of me says, "Why?"

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It’s gonna be a long time if I ever buy one of these. I’ve had Glock mags loaded for years and never an issue with function, to include locking the slide back. What boggles my mind is that Sig would in trust the reputation, especially on this new innovative design to anyone other than Mec-Gar for magazines.

Who at Sig could possibly think, (“Hey this new 365 is a real game changer, get Checkmate on the phone we’re gonna need magazines!”) it’s a good idea?

Posts: 25 | Location: The Hollar  | Registered: January 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
Sadly today I took the plunge and bought one. The LE price was hard to resist and if it fails I have a G43 or Shield to fill the void.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of steve495
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
quote:
My P 365 is going on temporary suspension

This is why I still will not buy a P365, come on Sig either make them reliable, or quit making them.

I am starting to think Sigs new motto ought to be, "To Hell It Went". Mad

I'm not going to try to change your mind. Mine has been running great since early summer when I got it. Plenty of rounds, no issues. Running Freedom Munitions 115gr and 124gr, plus Gold Dots, SIG V-Crown and my own loads with V-Crown bullets. No issues.

Probably 600 rounds and I've had other shoot it including my 19-year-old nephew and 14-year-old niece.

The way I think about it is this. There are a whole slew of people who have a P365 and have no issues and don't go online complaining about not having issues.

That said, there are also owners who may have had issues but never posted about it online.

Historically, those who have had issues are certainly more vocal.

Of course, there is a bunch of other shooters who probably have not even put 20 rounds down range with their purchase.

I don't think online forum posts are a good indicator of value or performance.

Steve

Small Business Website Design & Maintenance - https://spidercreations.net | OpSpec Training - https://opspectraining.com | Grayguns - https://grayguns.com

Evil exists. You can not negotiate with, bribe or placate evil. You're not going to be able to have it sit down with Dr. Phil for an anger management session either.

Posts: 4989 | Location: Windsor Locks, Conn. | Registered: July 18, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TrojanX4:
I know that it is infuriating to have someone suggest that it could be your thumb causing the problem, especially since your 12 round mags seem to be alleviating the issue.

Imagine this scenario. The 12 round magazine is longer, and becomes part of the grip which pulls the right thumb at a different angle to the slide catch/release.

I haven't logged into this forum for a year, but wanted to see what people were saying about the P365. I went to the range a few weeks ago and tried it. It was intention to try P938 to carry during warmer months vs the P239 I carry. I wasn't familiar with the P938 operating system so it wasn't fun to shoot with no confidence it was eliminated. I was prejudiced against any striker fire, but shot the P365 more accurately than either of the above or the 6 round Glock which I wasn't expecting to like.

Not much experience here, I only have a couple of Sig's and an inherited Glock (about to trade in), haven't worked with other handguns.

Posts: 12 | Registered: February 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 10-7 leo:
In addition to the slide not locking back on an empty mag, one can have ejection issues to feeding issues, if one allows their thumb to rub against the slide and depending on the pressure applied.

A friend has shot my 365 about four different times. Each time, at the beginning of the range session, he has had issues with the slide not locking back or going into battery. I used to have similar issues, when I first started shooting it.

It all traces back to thumbs being in the wrong place. As soon as the thumbs stopped making contact, the "problems" have resolved themselves.

Now, if I allow someone to try my 365, I warn them beforehand to mind their thumb placement.

It just goes to show that not any one particular firearm will work with every person 100% of the time. People's physical features vary, as does their style of gripping a handgun, placement of their finger on the trigger, etc..., as well as the training they've received. Find what works best for you and discard what doesn't. Seems like a pretty reasonable way to go.

FWIW: I've got pretty good sized hands and have put about 200 rounds of Federal 147 grain HST through my P365 without a single malfunction of any kind. Other pistols I've owned were problematic from the moment I purchased and shot them. While those situations were few and far between, its not difficult to note that every semiautomatic pistol's features have differences that might effect reliability with a different owner. Compare grip angles, widths, lengths, and the design and placement of the slide locks closely, and you'll get what I mean.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
bigger government
= smaller citizen
Picture of Veeper
posted Hide Post
quote:
Your Born in March P365 was one of the original models without the upgrades, I would send it back to Sig and have them put them all on.

What upgrades? Do you have any part numbers or links?

“The urge to save humanity is almost always only a false-face for the urge to rule it.”—H.L. Mencken

Posts: 9150 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: April 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was seriously considering one...looked it over at my local shop and liked the trigger and overall feel but don't want to potentially deal with issues or worry about what date it was built. I will stick with my G43/G42 and likely get a G43x if/when they offer it with a black slide.

Posts: 425 | Location: NC | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought one after thinking about it for some time.
Almost bought a 12 round magazine, but figured I would prefer shooting with it because it has a better feel - I have a better grip with it - but I only want this because I want less print, figured I would only carry 10 round magazines.
Went to the range with a box of Winchester white box and had the slide fail to lock back FOUR times. Two times with the flush and two with the one with finger grip. That was about 50% of the time.
Tried to drop the finger grip magazine and reload but my hand was stuck under the magazine.
Shaved a right middle finger knuckle while loading magazine with its new stiff spring. That made recoil burn as support hand slid over the cut every time I fired it.
Shot with new polarized glasses, couldn't see the sights.
I'll just call it a bad day of shooting overall.
Nothing like the day I rented and shot three plus my P239 and preferred the 365.
And no, my hand was nowhere near the slide release - that's the issue I have with the 239.

Posts: 12 | Registered: February 13, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Rail-less
and
Tail-less
posted Hide Post
2000 rounds through nine with zero issues and mine is a very early model...like first two weeks on the market early.

Posts: 13190 | Location: Charlotte, NC | Registered: May 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kopek:
Went to the range with a box of Winchester white box and had the slide fail to lock back FOUR times.

WWB is known for problems in a variety of pistols.

Posts: 8954 | Location: The Red part of Minnesota | Registered: October 06, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Alex35
posted Hide Post
I'm going to hold off buying one for a while and stick to pocket carrying my G42.

Posts: 187 | Registered: February 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post