SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W 686 4” holster recommendations
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W 686 4” holster recommendations Login/Join 
Picture of bcjwriter
posted
So I’m in the waiting period for a brand new Smith & Wesson 686 in a 4 inch barrel. I am not very familiar with holsters for these types of revolvers. So I’m coming to the brain trust here on Sig forum hopefully get some ideas.

I’m looking for a good holster that I can conceal, and that can be carried also for riding horses), hiking, etc. Basically, this gun will be a woods gun, or a four-legged problem solver.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
One of my most versatile holsters for revolvers is the old (still in production) Bianchi Model 5. Simple, priced right and works great under most circumstances but might expose the gun to a lot of dust and dirt riding horses.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16093 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got the Bianchi 7 for my 686 plus but had to try twice. Many may fit well, but I had trouble given my revolver is a 4.13" barrel. First holster was a no-go, second one was much better.

Posts: 3221 | Registered: August 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Each post crafted from
rich Corinthian leather
Picture of TheFrontRange
posted Hide Post
My vote would be for the pancake-style horsehide Belt Scabbard from Kramer Leather (linked below).

If you prefer a straight-drop version of same, see their Vertical Belt Scabbard (not linked).

https://www.kramerleather.com/...0(Adjustable%20Sight)

"The sea was angry that day, my friends - like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli." - George Costanza

Posts: 6694 | Registered: September 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Bianchi 7

I've got the Desantis version of this and it's worked for me for years.

You can also get a Plastic Holster from Blade Tech.

Posts: 4591 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Ryan Grizzle for my 4 inch 686. Can't remember if it is the Country Boy or High Country model. Both are built for concealment although I don't carry this gun concealed so can't speak to that. He also offers a removable retention strap which might be a feature you would find useful for riding. I don't have that option on mine so again can't speak to it. Quality is outstanding.

Posts: 550 | Location: S Fla / Western NC High Country | Registered: May 03, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Diablo Blanco
Picture of dking271
posted Hide Post
I guess the first question is how long a wait are you willing to live with or are you looking for something immediately? If you are looking for immediate satisfaction I’d suggest looking at the Galco Combat Master. If you can stomach a little wait, R Grizzle’s Country Boy is a great concealment holster and his work is absolutely top notch. I believe there wait time is somewhere around 16 weeks. In addition, Ryan and Kaye are wonderful to work with and are contributing members of our forum. Milt Sparks also makes some fine revolver holsters, but they are running a 10 month backlog.

You can find Galco holsters at considerable discounts online at places like here.. I have no affiliation with this company but have ordered stuff from them, including Galco holsters. FYI, shipping may take several weeks.

Posts: 2959 | Location: Middle-TN | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Desantis or Galco. With holsters, buy once cry once. Don't go cheap.

DPR

Posts: 656 | Registered: March 10, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Simply Rugged’s Sourdough Pancake.

https://www.simplyrugged.com/e...em_id=151&parent=669

Posts: 26906 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
For NON concealed outdoors carry, I like the plain jane hunter's holsters. As you have the 4" 686, it's not really an easily concealable piece. I bought this hunter's holster for my 4" Taurus Tracker and really like it for the $33-ish bucks I paid. It's thick leather, protects gun well, and easy to put on and off belt WITHOUT taking off belt. Obviously not for concealed carry, but for regular outdoors use it's great, and the price can't be beat!

Nothing fancy about it, but practical as heck, which makes it a great workhorse holster for outdoors use.

Hunter's Holster for 4" wheelgun

For my S&W 686 3" (which I pretend can be concealed :-), I use a Galco paddle SPD192

Posts: 4344 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Simply Rugged makes some great revolver holsters, I had a 3” 629 that I carried quite a bit when I was younger, his stuff is very reasonable and works very well. I sold the 629 but I still have 3 for J frame, SP 101 and a 3” King Cobra.

Posts: 456 | Location: Marblehead ohio | Registered: January 05, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I used a Desantis 001 thumb break for years. They are readily available and last many years.

Posts: 568 | Location: Beaumont TX | Registered: March 05, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of eclayton
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TheFrontRange:
My vote would be for the pancake-style horsehide Belt Scabbard from Kramer Leather (linked below).

If you prefer a straight-drop version of same, see their Vertical Belt Scabbard (not linked).

https://www.kramerleather.com/...0(Adjustable%20Sight)

I don’t disagree with the choice, but as a point of reference, I ordered a Kramer holster last March and it arrived earlier this month, about a six month wait. By the time it arrived, I honestly no longer remembered what I had ordered. Fortunately it was a present for my wife and it arrived before Christmas.

My favorite revolver holster is the Simply Rugged Sourdough Pancake.

Posts: 312 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: October 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I went with the Bianchi 5BL.

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for Simply Rugged. I don't have a 686 but I do carry a 4" 681 in the woods frequently. SR pancake is a well-designed holster. Comfortable and multi-functional. Another I like for large revolvers is Cabo (carry a big one) Gunleather but I don't know if they're still around. 4" N-frame disappears IWB with one of theirs.

Posts: 646 | Location: in the PA woods | Registered: March 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would likely hit eBay. Find something used. Make sure what you’re buying as a lot of sellers aren’t really sure. But, you’ll find Don Hume. Bianchi and a lot of other old school holsters.

Posts: 882 | Location: High desert. Nevada | Registered: April 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Xer0:
For NON concealed outdoors carry, I like the plain jane hunter's holsters. As you have the 4" 686, it's not really an easily concealable piece.

Agree 100%. Hunter all the way for all revolvers I carry. Really top quality leather and workmanship. Simple and to-the-point, just like the revolvers they hold.

Posts: 447 | Location: Shenandoah Valley | Registered: February 15, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post