SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Finally grabbed a Ruger Speed Six in 9x19!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Finally grabbed a Ruger Speed Six in 9x19! Login/Join 
Leatherneck
posted
After years of wanting one I finally got it. I paid a little too much but they are hard to find and I have the money so I broke down and grabbed it. Picked it up on Saturday, got some original wood grips and the TK Custom moon clips today and hit the range. It’s a sweet shooter.

It goes nicely with my other Six Series revolvers and fits perfectly in my group of Ruger revolvers that fire semi-auto cartridges.

My Redhawk in .45ACP/.45Colt, GP100 in 10mm/.40 and the Speed Six in 9mm.

My Security Six and Speed Sixes.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Beautiful. If that was the one on GB, I bid on it several times.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Beautiful. If that was the one on GB, I bid on it several times.

Yup I got it from GB. I overpaid for it especially considering it didn’t come with a box, moonclips or the original grips. But I got sick of waiting for that great deal to show up and I just put a high max bid and didn’t check back in until the auction was over.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Congrats, that looks like a fun shooter.

Posts: 17145 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
First that is a beautiful pistol and a very nice collection. With that said, I have always found this class of revolvers to be an odd duck. It's seems counterintuitive to me to put a cartridge designed for a semi auto pistols into a revolver when there are lots of revolver calibers that in many cases outperform the semi auto calibers. I would be very interested in your thinking on the subject if you are willing to share. What got you interested? Is there some logic or utility that I am not seeing?

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I've got one just lke it in 9mm, only I have switched out the hammer for one of Ruger's spurless factory hammers.

The 9mm Parabellm cartridge splits the difference between .38 Special +P and .357 Magnum. In today's world, with the 9mm being the most popular defense round in the United States, a revolver in 9mm makes more sense than you might think.

Really, there are only two real issues with revolvers so chambered- bent moon clips, which is easily remedied by replacing the clip, and bullet jump, which shouldn't be an issue with a revolver the weight of the Speed Six. In lighter revolvers chambered in 9x19, recoil can cause bullets to unseat from the cartridge case mouth, due to intertia. Revolver catridges can and do use a crimp on the case mouth, but this is something you won't see in cartridges intended for auto pistols. This is why Ruger's LCR specified 115 grain ammo only, although it seems they have addressed this issue in later revolvers, somehow.

Posts: 107616 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
For me personally it’s the oddity of it that is appealing. And I love the Six series and this is kind of the grail gun out of that collection.

I’m not sure why I’ve always been drawn to semi-auto caliber revolvers but the idea always interested me. The 9mm makes some sense for me personally because my carry gun and HD gun are chambered in 9mm, and I have a few PCCs in 9mm as well so I am pretty well stocked on 9mm ammo.

If I was ever going to carry a revolver this gun would almost surely be the one I’d carry. Even over my .357 magnums. The weight is about a perfect balance between carry and recoil control, especially in 9mm.

3° that never cooled
Picture of rock185
posted Hide Post
Pale Horse, That appears to be a very clean Speed Six. The 9X19MM is a favorite of mine, so I'm drawn to the 9MM revolvers. I haven't acquired a Speed Six 9MM, but have enjoyed owning several revolvers chambered for semi-auto pistol cartridges;.454/.45 ACP,.455 Webley/.45 ACP,.38-40/10MM, 10MM/.40 S&W, 9MM,.22LR/.22 Mag.,etc. Some might be considered oddities, but they all work as intended. If they didn't, I wouldn't keep them for very long...

NRA Life

Posts: 1565 | Location: Under the Tonto Rim | Registered: August 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
You have my unreserved jealousy. Currently holding out in hopes that we'll see more 9mm revolvers from Ruger, including (hopefully, per Lipsey's) a half-lug 3" SP101 that's currently only offered in .357 Magnum.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice looking batcha Rugers! A wee bit off-topic, but I had to wait until I was almost 70 to get a blued Speed-Six snubby this year. Got it before CV hit so it wasn’t too pricey & came with box and numbered sleeve. They are great little revolvers - prolly never to be made againFrown

Posts: 431 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: September 01, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
Good info, thanks all. Didn't intend to distract from admiring Pale Horse's beautiful new revolver.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Sweet!

I was able to find the 4" .327 SP101, but really would like to get myself a 10mm GP100 like yours.

Posts: 9157 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Sweet!

I was able to find the 4" .327 SP101, but really would like to get myself a 10mm GP100 like yours.

I’ve got one of the original 3” .327 SP101s that I love. It’s a great caliber and the SP101 is an awesome platform for it. I guess I could have added that to my picture as it will shoot .32acp as well.

One thing to be aware of with the 10mm GP100 is that Ruger says it will fire .40 safely but not reliably. I found that to be true with the factory moon clips. But TK Customs makes a set that is nice and thick and with those I’ve been able to fire a few hundred rounds of .40 with zero failure. So if you do pick one up hoping to shoot .40 through it too you’ll want to make sure to get the right moon clips.

posted Hide Post
Beautiful! Someone on this forum wisely said “it’s easier to get over paying too much For something than It is to get over letting something you’ve wanted slip through your hands rather than paying a higher price”.

Posts: 394 | Location: Florida Gulf Coast | Registered: October 17, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice score. The Six Series revolvers were just the right size and heft. They also get pretty nice triggers once they are broken in good.

Posts: 2169 | Registered: April 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
Glad for you!

I've had 3 9mm revolvers, the first 2 a 3" and 4" SW Model 547 to me were the perfect revoler for the caliber. No moon clips. Both were very accurate.

I had a Taurus 905 9mm with moon clips. It was snappy, but not harsh. I simply got tired of fooling with clips.

You have an interesting solid pistol. I've had the Speed Sixes , they are tops.

I currently have a SP101 3" in 327 Federal Magnum.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Nice! Isn't the 9x19 SS the one they brought out the 9mm Federal cartridge for? FCC dropped that real quick when they realized it fit perfectly in old top break 38 S&W revolvers made for black powder pressures.....

Posts: 1642 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: June 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Beautiful! I believe I saw that one on Gunbroker...I was lusting after it but wasn't in a position to put in a bid at this time.

I have a speed-six in .357 mag, and it's a fantastic shooter. I'd love to pick one up in 9mm. A friend of mine just found an older 3" SP101 in 9mm a few months ago, and he has nothing but good things to say about it. I think the added heft and sixth round of the Speed-Six would make it very pleasant to shoot.

I've also been eyeing those .45ACP/45 Colt Redhawks. I have a Blackhawk convertible in .45ACP/.45 Colt and really enjoy it, especially in ACP (the shorter cartridges extract easier, and they're cheaper to load and easier to find components for). I load and shoot a ton of 9mm and .45ACP, so DA revolvers in both calibers would make a lot of sense.

You, sir, have excellent taste! Congrats on a nice score!

Posts: 8576 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Grabbed a speed Six on GB yesterday but it was a 357.

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7946 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:
Grabbed a speed Six on GB yesterday but it was a 357.

Still an awesome gun! I had a stainless 2 3/4 speed six in .38 that I traded to my dad. If it had been in .357 I would have kept it but he loves Ruger revolvers as much as I do so I let him have it.