SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Glock 17 Binary trigger!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Glock 17 Binary trigger! Login/Join 
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted
Franklin Armory is coming out with a binary trigger for the G17. It even has the G18 switch on the side of the slide. So cool!
G17 trigger and slide

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
The BATFE won't give back your 900 bucks when they confiscate this from you.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Is this yet another gadget skirting the edge of the NFA, to simulate full-auto fire while technically still being semi? No thanks. Just like the wrist braces on pistols not technically being shoulder stocks.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
$900????

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Semi-automatic operation is defined as one bullet fired for one press of the trigger. It seems to me that this setup fires two bullets for each press of the trigger, as it is, of course, necessary to release the trigger, whether or not you intend to fire another bullet, and the mere releasing of the trigger with this setup, fires a second bullet.

Perhaps someone can explain how this is considered legal.

Posts: 107651 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Interesting. Franklin's binary trigger for other firearms has been around a long time, and the ATF has not gone after them, yet. And that's all I know them. What's different this time with the striker fired gun, if any?

Q

Posts: 26426 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
I think they are going by the letter of the law, as opposed to the spirit. If the text says "one per press" then it doesn't say anything about not being allowed to fire "once per release" as well. Since a press and release do happen separately, it fits the words, as written. Also, since you can cancel the "fire on release" action in the midst of the binary firing (by switching the lever with the trigger held back between rounds one and two) it seems to bolster their case.
Binary triggers have legally existed for a long, long time. They seem to have found the recipe to keep them legal.

I think it's a cool "thumb in the eye" to the NFA.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RNshooter:

Binary triggers have legally existed for a long, long time. They seem to have found the recipe to keep them legal.

Bruce

Yes. And when they first came out, Franklin did even have the ATF's letter. So, unless their binary for the striker fired gun somehow differs from previous version, they should be fine. But then, knowing the ATF, they change their PMS mind when that time comes.

Q

Posts: 26426 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Definitely more than ONE reason to wait a year or so before considering this one.....

Posts: 383 | Location: Phoenix Aridzona | Registered: March 06, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I've shot an AR with one of these triggers and was not overly impressed.

I've also shot a Glock 18 and it was pretty much a waste of good ammo.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why would someone want something so stupid and useless ?

Posts: 705 | Location: S.W.Florida | Registered: August 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This should be filed under just because you can doesn’t mean you should. Binary is dumb as fuck unless it is strictly as a range toy spectacle and even then it is dumb. An entire lifetime of pulling triggers now you have to remember to hold the trigger back while safing the gun if a cold range is called. Or be that dumbass who lets one more round go. Not only no, but hell no.

This is the kind of stuff that would get me to put my stuff away and leave. Because it is inherently unsafe.

Bump stocks make more sense and are safer than binary triggers imo.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Semi-automatic operation is defined as one bullet fired for one press of the trigger. It seems to me that this setup fires two bullets for each press of the trigger, as it is, of course, necessary to release the trigger, whether or not you intend to fire another bullet, and the mere releasing of the trigger with this setup, fires a second bullet.

Perhaps someone can explain how this is considered legal.

I believe the exact phrasing is either one "function" or "operation" of the trigger. A binary trigger fires when the trigger is pulled and when the trigger is released. These devices have thus far not been touched by BATFE. As we have seen with bump stocks and braces, a reinterpretation is likely all it would take to criminalize these devices.

I own a couple legal "switches" (by virtue of my 07/02 FFL/SOT) and they are fun, but essentially gimmicks. I'd save my money and skip this thing.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not a fan of these types of triggers. Mainly due to the safety aspect. So, you've already pulled the trigger and made your shot but a 5 year old has just popped up down range and it's absolutely essential that you not fire that second shot on the release. So now you are at the shooting bench working on getting the magazine dropped (note it's a bit sticky) and racking the slide to clear the chamber, all while holding that trigger. So, how many people have you just swept while doing all those monkey motions with a loaded pistol ready to fire in your hand.

And, yeah I feel the same about binary triggers on rifles. As for why, just apply the same scenario to the AR15. Note, one slightly positive aspect of the AR15 is that it's long enough that the shooter can set the barrel on his foot so if he goofs he will be the one injured. BTW, I can't count the number of times I've seen AR shooters point their barrels straight at their feet when charging the chamber.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5658 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
"So now you are at the shooting bench working on getting the magazine dropped (note it's a bit sticky) and racking the slide to clear the chamber, all while holding that trigger."

Nope. You just flip the switch and release the trigger. No bang.

I don't want one but I think it's a clever gimmick to reduce split times for a double tap.

Bruce

-Niccolo Machiavelli

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
It’s so ass backwards for me from shooting SA and FA.

Even FA is a waste of ammo but at least if I don’t forget to flip the switch and just release the trigger another round is not going down the pipe.

It’s a dumb gimmick.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well with all due respect you are on the wrong side of this. Binary triggers are fundamentally unsafe. That really isn't up for debate. That above explanation was goofy but yours is goofy too. Reread what you wrote. After a lifetime of shooting, the first step you take, the first thing you teach, is to keep your finger off the trigger until you are on target ready to shoot. It literally is one of the BOLDFACE safety items that every gun guy knows. Your explanation is exactly the problem. Anything happens and you decide it is unsafe/unwise/whatever and you don't want to shoot, your lifetime of training says take your finger off the trigger. The binary trigger manual tells you to hold the trigger to the rear and apply the safety. (or whatever they call the non binary position)

It is a dangerous system that is inherently and unredeemably flawed, ie unsafe. Even as a range toy it is arguably unsafe.

Like I said earlier, if the guy next to me at my range is playing with this I am leaving because I know he isn't playing with as full of a deck as I want the guy next to me to have in his hand while slinging lead. I have in the past and I am sure I will in the future, leave the range when someone is being unsafe. An afternoon of trigger therapy isn't worth getting shot by the guy next to me. The good news is, I have never been to a range where a binary trigger would be allowed. I hate silly rules, I don't think this is a silly rule.

You do you, they are legal, but they aren't even arguably a smart or safe idea in actual use.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
Agree. I've left ranges after seeing people do stupid shit with regular guns (like shooting the ceiling less than 6 feet in front of where they're standing). I can't imagine some dipshit showing up with one of these so he can decrease his "split times" which is nonsense.

Posts: 4079 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not as lean, not as mean,
Still a Marine
Picture of Gibb
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
Bump stocks make more sense and are safer than binary triggers imo.

Tell me you've never fired a Binary trigger without telling me you've never fired a binary trigger.

The binary trigger is a 2 step process that can be stopped at any point by flipping the selector switch. Anyone saying "OMG you need to hold pressure on the trigger!" should take a look at themselves hard. How many discussions have we had in regard to the positive reset in triggers? If you are able to pay attention to the reset, you are able to hold pressure until flipping the selector switch.

But yeah, support the bumpstock that requires an unstable shooting position and lacks any appreciable ability to aim. That's WAY safter than a binary Roll Eyes

I shall respect you until you open your mouth, from that point on, you must earn it yourself.

Posts: 3355 | Location: Southern Maine | Registered: February 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
But why?

I’d wager I can get 2 hits on target more accurately in less time and holster in complete safety, than you can with a binary trigger and make safe.

Money is better spent on training than pretending you’re rocking FA,

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post