SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    M17 surplus acquisition
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

M17 surplus acquisition Login/Join 
Just mobilize it
posted
I have been surprised to see very little on here regarding the M17 surplus pistols that were released a couple months back. I know this is a very eclectic bunch and we like all kinds of pistols, but being that it’s Sigforum I feel we as a whole must like our Sigs a little more than the others, right? Regardless, I enjoy when people share their acquisitions on this forum so I figured I’d share mine.

I was able to pick up a couple of the M17’s that were among the first 5000 issued to the army back in 2017/18. I have researched a lot and have gathered that many of these have ties to different sub groups within the US Army, with a fair amount actually seeing more than just a test firing range, but actual deployment usage. Now I’m not military/ex military, but I really enjoy learning about and collecting military type weapons. Even if it means paying a little (or even a lot) more to get an actual piece of military history, to me that’s cool. I wish they would have done this with the Beretta M9’s, I’d have bought several. This is kinda rare really that the military would decommission and sell as “surplus” essentially a current issue weapon system.

I have read everything from the surplus M17’s were returned to Sig due to “needed upgrades” to simply because Sig “changed the controls to black and felt it was easier to send new pistols and then just sell these surplus ones for more profit”. I do believe that they underwent some upgrades once they came back from service based on pics I’ve seen of the inner slide for the trigger upgrade cut. I also do believe that they changed the controls to save cost as coating them in FDE was perhaps more time consuming and not as cost effective. All current M17’s have the black controls I believe, which makes them look more like the commercial model. Personally I like both looks. Last year I wanted a commemorative one, but passed. Now this IMHO is even better.

I’d be quite surprised if the values of these went down, but really I’m not planning to sell mine so either way it’s no biggie. Of the two I picked up, one is in superb condition with hardly any marks on it. I would assume it was not issued, but rather maybe only test fired some then put away. My other, as pictured below, has a little more honest wear on it. It definitely was in a holster and has some wear on the grip as well as the lanyard hole, so it was carried at least some. It’s still in very good to excellent shape overall regardless, and this one may become a shooter for me. I also like the orange rear with green front night sights vs the commercial green on green set up. There are a few minor differences between the actual issued guns and the commercial/civilian models, from internal/external coatings to sights to recoil spring weights, to serials. The surplus pistols have the TF 00XXXX serial numbers vs. the commercial M17- XXXX serials. Even the box is identical to the way Sig sent these to the military. They come with 3 mags, 1-17, and 2-21 rounders, extra recoil spring for lighter loads, certificate of authenticity, and some typical swag per Sig. Haters gonna hate, but I am happy as this is pretty cool to me. I’m sure there are some on here that will appreciate these M17’s. Feel free to add any info or post yours if you have one as well!

free image hosting bb

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up one because I'm an addicted collector of stuff lol. I think they would have been able to charge even more of a premium with them if they included a history with each firearm (where they were deployed or something on the COA). I understand this would be dang-near impossible because I'm sure it was "hey government gather up your 5000 guns and we'll trade you/sell you 5000 different ones."

Still worth the little premium to me. I'm not sure if I would have paid the $1500-2000 some people were paying for them, but if they are happy with the purchase then it was a good purchase for them.

Great looking M17 surplus pistol btw

Posts: 1304 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
There was a few pages of discussion when they were released . There have been a couple threads since.

They are cool and if I could have found one at the right price I’d have bought one but for me the right price wasn’t much more than the going price for a new P320. Maybe I’d be willing to pay more if I’d been in the unit they were issued to or even the Army. If USMC surplus M18s come around my budget will increase.

Also like you I sure wouldn’t buy one as an investment. I love Sig but they’ll sell anything that isn’t bolted down. I expect several more M17 variants to be released in the coming years and won’t be too shocked if more surplus guns make their way into the market either.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15256 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcltc
posted Hide Post
Picked one up about a month back purely by chance. I was waiting at the range to shoot with some friends and saw one in the case with the giveaway coyote controls. Quite a bit of barrel and frame wear, paint pen rack number on the mainspring housing, but the authenticity lends to the cool factor. Uploaded pics to the “Decommissioned USGI/SigSauer M17 Owners Association” Facebook page (they’re putting together a database), and they identified my gun as having been deployed with the 32nd CAV, 1st BDE, 101st Airborne. I bought this gun for the heritage and the authenticity, not as an investment (I will continue to shoot it), but can you imagine what one of the original issue 1911’s with a documented deployment history would be worth today?

BTW, shot it back to back with an M9 and a Colt ANVIII 1911, and despite the wear and tear, and the fact it was the platform I had the least experience with, the M17 was the one that produced one ragged hole. If I can get my Photobucket working again, I’ll upload pics

"Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness" - Annonymous

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I was able to purchase four for a very reasonable price.Two are in excellent condition and two are in very good condition. All appear to be fired very little.

Posts: 872 | Location: Louisiana and Florida | Registered: February 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
Good stuff guys, it appears there are indeed a few of us on here that have acquired these. I am in the Facebook group and have submitted my serials. One came back unissued (the EX to near LNIB one) and I’m waiting on the other, which should have some hx.

I have heard these are pretty accurate, which makes sense as mine are fitted more tightly than my commercial 320 M17.

Posts: 4611 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post