SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Ruger Hunter mkIII or S&W 41
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Hunter mkIII or S&W 41 Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have always read that people say not to shoot bulk pack (HV) ammo through a 41. You can read all the rants yourself, high quality target gun fed crap ammo etc. Yet nowhere in the manual does S&W say not to use it. I can’t imagine a newer production 41 (vice a really old, perhaps softer steel 41) would ever actually experience any damage outside of the Internet “stories”.

If S&W actually said you couldn’t shoot HV ammo then I wouldn’t buy it. They don’t though.

Edited. I just reread manual to be sure. No mention of HV ammo damaging gun at all. One sentence that says HYPER velocity ammo MAY increase wear. That’s it. I think you could feed MiniMags all day long for life with no problem. S&W certainly doesn’t agree with the interwebz drama.

Posts: 7499 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My M41 was never what you could call picky about ammo, unless you only ever tried to use Remington .22's. which would FtF often.

Posts: 519 | Location: Ocala, FL | Registered: October 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
Take the 41!

You can swap extra barrels like changing underwear.
And they aren’t the serialized part like the Roger so you can order online without a transfer too!

Love mine, recent production.

Have a Clark barrel and red dot, it’s as accurate as a cz 452 sandbagged!
Rink grips for bullseye league.

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7179 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would take the 41. I went the opposite route with my mkiii hunter. I had that and a standard mkii. Sold the hunter and kept the standard.

The hunter was a joy to shoot and never had a problem. I didn’t care for the sights on it so I put a red dot on it.

Posts: 229 | Location: Southern, PA | Registered: July 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I would trade into the 41. Its on my want list, someday I'll have one.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I'd trade a Ruger MkIII for a 41 any day.

You can install a good trigger in a Ruger, and I have done it, but it is never as good as a 41's trigger.

All-in-all, the 41 is in another league.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Beanhead
posted Hide Post
Not even close….the 41 is head and shoulder over the Ruger.

Posts: 1352 | Location: Georgia | Registered: May 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
I recently bought a Ruger Mk II slab side target model, and a Smith 41 from a guy,
he said his best bullseye group was with the Ruger,

and seemed sad that the Smith did not give him the same result,

jmho, but the Rugers, esp the Mk II targets, are a bit under rated, (I think mostly to the undeserved rep they get on takedown)

not saying there is anything wrong with a Smith,
they can be finicky, but they have been around long enough that there is a good supply of parts, and a good knowledge base on what to look for and how to correct any issues,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10423 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Might just be me, but I would assume a trade that uneven is for a reason.

Posts: 9965 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, the trade is not reasonable. Be careful, something is out of line.

I ave owned a 41 for decades and shoot nothing but CCI minimags in it, no problems.

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern Nevada | Registered: December 22, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 9mmnut
posted Hide Post
Get the 41. If you don’t like it I will trade you something for it.
I have a Ruger. It sits in a box at home. Never found ammo it liked

Posts: 1195 | Location: Southern ,Mi. | Registered: October 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you end up making the trade? I probably would do it, especially if you've never been overly fond of the Ruger.

I owned almost 15 Ruger MKIIs and a MKIII at one time. I recently started liquidating some of my collection and sold several of them but still have several and always will. Some of them are stock, some are modded with Volquartsen parts or as suppressor hosts, and one is a Clark build that I use in bullseye competition. All of them are great and reliable. In my experience they're good to great shooters in stock form and can be made even better with little effort or money.

I also own two Model 41s. I've had one since 2009 and use it has a suppressor hosts. With CCI SV ammo it's 100% reliable and it's my favorite gun to shoot. It's a precise shooter and super quiet. I picked up another one a few months ago because I got a good deal on it but haven't been able to shoot it yet. A Volquartsen extractor helped the function of my first Model 41.

============================================
Photographs: https://photobucket.com/u/photoman12001
-----------------------------------
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/photoman12001/
-----------------------------------
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/photoman12001/videos

Posts: 1741 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: December 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post