SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do I really need a lightweight 5" 1911?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I really need a lightweight 5" 1911? Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
I know, probably not the right place to ask if I, "Need" something. Lately I've been seeing Kimber 5" lightweight 1911's showing up for very cheap prices. I've always liked the idea of a lightweight 5" 1911 and I don't know why. Practically it doesn't fill any needs. I've got a few 5" 1911 steel frames, a 4-1/4" S&W Scandium, a Sig C3 and a Colt Defender. Still a new 1911 for $599 is kind of hard to ignore.

https://www.cabelas.com/catalo....z_pg_ref=prd1851327

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Pursuing the wicked
Picture of rangemaster
posted Hide Post
Sounds like you've got the platform pretty well covered already. But, if you want and can afford a Kimber, a Kimber was not among your stable list.

I have one Kimber; a TLE/RL II. It is a very very accurate pistol.

Posts: 1621 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: December 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My answer may not matter to you much since I have been on a 1911 buying streak during the Pandemic. All Dan Wesson 1911's. After the first one, I really didn't "need" the next 3. Bought them anyway, to go with all the other pistols in my safe that I love, shoot but really don't need.
I say get it. We need to enjoy things in life , you will enjoy it, so therefore you "need" it.
Get it

Posts: 539 | Registered: August 09, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How heavy is " light weight" ? The Springfield Ronin that I want weighs the same as my Ruger GP 100.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54682 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
Need should not be in this conversation.
It's all about WANT.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Void Where Prohibited
Picture of WaterburyBob
posted Hide Post
Doesn't your 4.25" S&W Scandium already fit that lightweight category?

I would just say if you want the Kimber and have the cash, go buy it.

"If Gun Control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome" - Cam Edwards

Posts: 16530 | Location: Under the Boot of Tyranny in Connectistan | Registered: February 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Nframe
posted Hide Post
45 ACP or 9mm? The 9 in a full size lightweight is really fun! I have a Dan Wesson Vigil 5" that is great!

Posts: 2912 | Location: mid S.C. | Registered: March 22, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm a real big fan of LW 1911's in 9mm (any 1911 in 9mm actually).
One of my favorites was a Wilson Combat CQB that I let a friend talk me out of when I was weak.
Current favorite is an Ed Brown Kobra Carry LW in 9mm.
Total count of 1911 9's in my safe is at 9 with 3 being LW's. No .45's.

Everybody knows that the dice are loaded

Posts: 369 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
How heavy is " light weight" ?

Alloy-framed "lightweight" 1911s tend to come in around 32ish ounces, compared to 40ish ounces for a steel-framed 1911s like the SA Ronin you're looking at, bendable.

So about half a pound lighter than a traditional 1911, but still heavier than something comparable with a polymer frame, which will be closer to 25ish ounces.

Posts: 32540 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Agree with Nframe, a lightweight 5" 9mm is just about right. Mine weighs 35 oz with FLGR and Pachmayr grip.
A lightweight .45 should be a Commander.

Posts: 3290 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I agree that is a great price. If I were getting a lightweight, I would prefer Commander sized. However, that price?

Posts: 5627 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
Need, absolutely not. I am of the opinion that any single NORMAL (Not a Desert Eagle or Mark 23 or Smith 460 Magnum etc.) handgun can fill any role quite easily and be carried fairly easily with the right belt/holster/dress. So I would argue you only NEED a single handgun and call it a day.

All that being said I passed the NEED off ramp MANY MANY MANY MANY MILES BACK. Big Grin

So like has been said do you want it? Go for it. I, personally, don't care for alloy 1911's but then again 1911s are really more toys only for me.

I too find ways to justify my new toys and can masterfully fit any of them into some perceived practical use......but if I am honest with myself its really more about....OOOO SHINY!!! Big Grin

So based on what you said.....Hell yeah you need a lightweight 1911. Big Grin

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rangemaster:
Sounds like you've got the platform pretty well covered already. But, if you want and can afford a Kimber, a Kimber was not among your stable list.

Oh it's included in the "Few" 5" steel framed 1911's. I bought one of the very first Series I stainless 1911's that they made and it has been totally reliable. It's a gun that I'll probably never get rid of. My first 1911, even has the, "Idiot mark" on it.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
So I just came up with the lamest excuse for justifying a gun purchase ever. It's an alloy framed 5" which means it will recoil more than a steel frame. .45ACP costs less than a 10mm. Therefore, it's an inexpensive trainer for my Dan Wesson Razorback in 10mm.

E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
FANTASTIC!!!! Smile

That’s exactly the kind of practical use I’m talking about.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7691 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
(Shaking his head) Based on my experience with 5" alloy-framed .45ACP P220 Match pistols, I don't see long range sessions being unduly tiring and I certainly wouldn't expect to somehow wear out the frame. I've been tempted by their 9mms before; let us know how you like it.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, do it. Have many steel in govt and commander size. Have a DW Vbob steel 45 and alloy 9, definitely feel weight difference after a few hours.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Look no farther than the Colt Lightweight Government Model in .45 ACP. Mine handles like a full size Government Model, but is fast like the Commander, and is an ABSOLUTE joy to carry. My one wish is that it was available in .38 Super +.

Wes

Posts: 2430 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
^^^^
The original release is discontinued but recently I have seen a few new examples on the big auction site. They have tan, OD, or bluish cerakoted frames. You can tell they are new because they have the newer style Colt slide serrations (wider and slanted). The slides are blued steel and they have a beavertail and oval hammer. Price was between $900-1K though.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tarheelbball
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Weshowe:
Gents,

Look no farther than the Colt Lightweight Government Model in .45 ACP. Mine handles like a full size Government Model, but is fast like the Commander, and is an ABSOLUTE joy to carry. My one wish is that it was available in .38 Super +.

https://www.cdnnsports.com/col...el.html#.XrYguy9q2hB

https://www.cdnnsports.com/col...el.html#.XrYhLy9q2hA

Posts: 514 | Registered: August 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post