SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Do I really need a lightweight 5" 1911?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I really need a lightweight 5" 1911? Login/Join 
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Reincarnation may not happen so go ahead and buy what you want.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1566 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Regarding the Colt 5" with light frames: Do NOT expect the finish on the frame to last. Mine was OD green. Before it was fired the frame finish began to fall off showing the alloy beneath. This was from very light handling and flakes of the finish were found in the box.

Called Colt and was told that the finish was NOT under any warranty whatsoever, even though the gun had not been fired and the finish had started to come off in the box-this for a 1K plus handgun?

No more Colts for me-ever. And some folks wonder why they are circling the bowl...............

The Islamic terrorist express: Go directly to Allah, do not pass hell.

Posts: 1386 | Location: Xanadu | Registered: May 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CAPT29,

Sorry to hear your Colt's finish is flaking. Mine has the traditional dark Parkerizing(?) on the frame and has held up very well. I stay away from non-traditional finishes.

Wes

Posts: 2430 | Location: Salem, OR | Registered: May 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't "need" one either, but Sportsmans Warehouse had the LW Kimber stainless .45 for $599. It has been absolutely reliable from shot one through about 500 rounds of FMJ and Critical Duty Hollowpoints.

And a joy to carry IWB in a Clinger holster. I have steel framed 1911s, Colt and SA. The Kimber has become my go to for EDC.

Posts: 563 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: February 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
When I read the title the answer seemed obvious too me... YES!

I'm not a 1911 guy but I did get the chance two years ago to shoot a Kimber like you are looking at.... it was damn sweet!

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fun fact, Two films after John Wayne ordered a lighter weight gun to carry in his western movies , He noticed he was walking kinda side ways,

He had to make a conscious effort to walk correctly,

It took him a while but they figured out that the 10 ounce difference of the gun and the 8 ounce lighter holster threw his gate off.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54681 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post