SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Questions about an early 229
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questions about an early 229 Login/Join 
Picture of pepsiblue
posted
I scored an older 229 today and have a couple questions. It was missing the original grips, so I could not date it using those. Looking at the list of serial numbers we have posted at the top of the handgun page, it ( AD324xx ) appears that it is a mid 1994 model. It is also triple serial numbered. It came with three magazines that I am not sure are correct. All three are 12 rounds, and dovetail? Two of them have the restricted law enforcement/government use only markings, and
appear to be dated 9/14/94. It did not come in the original box.
What style box would have been correct for this 229? Do the restricted magazines have any more value than one that is unmarked? Any other information would be appreciated as well!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Correct box is the gray plastic case with the SIGARMS logo out on top.

LE restricted mags are no more valuable than non-marked mags. In fact, many folks don't care for the restricted marking.

Q

Posts: 26374 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
Thank you Sir!

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2495 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
I don't know if "missing original grips" means "missing ANY factory SIG grips," but if so... PM me if you need them. I have a few extras.

Posts: 2461 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bcjwriter
posted Hide Post
I have a similar 229. Not sure the date on it as well. Here is a picture with the original box…

Posts: 1965 | Location: Southern CA | Registered: July 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My early 229 in .40. According to the dating info listed, a '91 model which sounds right. I bought this .40 229 when they first came out as far as I knew. LOVE this. One of, if not the, most comfortable to hold and accurate Sigs I own.

Grey plastic box, no foam.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I thought that serial looked familiar. I have a P229 with serial AD324XX as well...mine is 357 SIG. I also have a AB in .40 S&W. Both are in exceptional condition. Congrats on your purchase. They are great feeling and shooting pistols.

AD

AB

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
and appear to be dated 9/14/94.

Interesting date since - "The 10-year ban was passed by the US Congress on September 13, 1994".

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13399 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
DennisM, I sent you an email a couple days ago…

bcjwriter, nice looking pistol!

Nev…..is your 229 triple serial numbered?

texassierra…… sending you an email!!

Arc.
___

Texas Proud
Picture of texassierra
posted Hide Post
I'll keep an eye out for it.

NRA Life Patron

Posts: 1906 | Location: DFW | Registered: March 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Nev…..is your 229 triple serial numbered?

Yep. Yep!

Came with 2 .40 12 round mags. I remember intentionally getting this right before some idiotic Clinton era ban went into effect. Didn't need, but this is one firearm I purchased purely on principle alone. I was somewhat deep into the firearm world then, subscribing to reading cover to cover multiple gun mags -- which helped influenced my decision. Sometimes it's good to be easily influenced. Wink

Always one of my top favs.

---------------------------------
I know my nation best. That's why I despise it the most. And I know and love my own people too, the swine. I'm a patriot. A dangerous man --Edward Abbey

After one look at this planet any visitor from outer space would say "I want to see the manager." - William S. Burroughs

Posts: 108 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
DennisM, I sent you an email a couple days ago…

Sorry, just saw it (victim of Spam filter... one more reason to hate Google.) Reply sent.

Posts: 2461 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Mine is an OLD duty weapon in .40 that dates to '95. It came with 3 LEO marked mags. Holster wear back then has removed 90% of the finish off the slide. I keep telling myself I need to get it refinished but keep putting it off. The box is long gone.

Posts: 9 | Registered: November 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post