SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Steyr M9-A1. Any SF owners out there? How is it?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Steyr M9-A1. Any SF owners out there? How is it? Login/Join 
posted
Buds has the Steyr M9-A1 listed for 400 bucks. Looks like a deal and most reviews are positive. Any SF Steyr owners out there? What are your experiences? Accuracy? How are the trapezoidal sights in the real world? Magazine availability, cost and durability?
Thanks in advance!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1lieutenant
posted Hide Post
I have owned a S9-A1 for approximately 5 years. It has over 6k rounds through it and I used it for a Grayguns Practical Fundamentals course.

The trapezoidal sites are quite intuitive and easy to get on target. An accurate combat sight. The low bore axis makes for extremely low felt recoil.

I have no failures. No failures to feed or extract. Just keeps on chugging. I do not use cheap ammo, though. Speer Lawman 124gr only. A rare box of other ammo.

I thought the Grayguns course was a great test. About 500 rounds per day with obviously no cleaning or lubing, of course. Not a hiccup.

Steve

Posts: 996 | Location: Central CT | Registered: November 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
One of my favorite nines. I learned to like those sights quickly...either you like them or you don’t. I’ll buy another if they put out an optic ready version. Soft shooting, comfortable and accurate. Underrated IMHO.

Posts: 4521 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
One of the best kept secrets is the Steyr pistol. I early adopted the M9 and M40, and that pretty much started my love affair with the platform. Great pistols. The sights are easy to align, and shoot POA.

Magazines can be had in the 17 round flavor, and for about as much money as you're going to spend on your SIG ($36.00).

$400 is a fair price.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Barbarian at the Gate
Picture of Belwolf
posted Hide Post
One of my favorites too, no issues and sights are great for quick acquisition.

I don't know about mags now, I came upon a deal for 15 rounders (the original) years ago on CDNN and have 6 15 rounders and 1 17 rounder (the current mag)I picked up a couple of years ago.

“Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it.”
― John Adams

"Fire can be our friend; whether it's toasting marshmallows, or raining down on Charlie."
- Principal Skinner.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Thonotosassa, FL | Registered: February 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
The Steyr M9-A1 is the best polymer striker pistol IMHO. You can search numerous threads I've posted in the past on the subject. M9-A1 prices may be dropping b/c the A2 series is coming out. I like everything about the latter except the flared mag well, which may prevent me from snagging one.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
I absolutely despise pistols that have the Glock-style safety tab sticking out of the trigger.

I love Steyrs.

Most people who've shot them seem to really like the ergonomics. I don't know if its the polymer flexing or what, but they seem to be noticeably soft shooters compared to other service-type pistols chambered for the same round. People either do or don't like the trapezoidal sights, but those who accept the sights on their own terms and get used to using them seem to shoot fairly well with them. Then again, if you want night sights, they don't seem to make a whole lot of luminescent trapezoidal sights.

I just wish Steyr would make it possible for me to swap out the trigger safety for a thumb safety or something.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So far, you guys have echoed what i have read about Steyr pistols. I am definitely going to pick one up when I get the cash.
Thanks!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16091 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I love! My M9 A1. I stopped counting the number of flawless rounds of 124 grain (mainly Geco) I have run through mine and can only echo what good things have been said here.
The price at $400 is a gift. And yes, it is likely to be that the new version of the M9 is coming out soon. I have seen most if not all YouTube vids on the new L9. The new M9 is probably no different. Based on the reviews, I am not ready to change to the new version. If I do, it will be for the love of ownership and not to replace.

Posts: 627 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: October 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating, sleeping and boinking. Everything else is just Filler.
Picture of terma-nator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Steyr M9-A1

Just a heads up but Dahlonega Armory.has it for 369 Dahlonega Armory

I love it here!

My Gun collection:
Too many to list. Lets just say that the zombies should look elsewhere.

Posts: 1671 | Location: Back in the good 'ol U.S.A. (South Fla) | Registered: April 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Wreckless
posted Hide Post
I have an old M9 that mirrors all the other comments posted so far. It is a really well designed pistol. You will like it.

La Dolce Vita

Posts: 543 | Location: SW Florida & SNJ | Registered: July 26, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
I guess I'm the exception. The one I had had aftermarket night sites, so I didn't get to experience the Trapezoidal sites. Mine was very ammo sensitive. I didn't like it better than my Glocks or SIGs.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
An investment in knowledge
pays the best interest
posted Hide Post
Rolan - Was your Steyr previously owned and, if so, was it modified beyond the sights? Was it an A1 model? The plain M9 model had known issues with the extractor, which was updated in the A1 series.

Posts: 3362 | Location: Mid-Atlantic | Registered: December 27, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tcop143
posted Hide Post
I have one of the new L9-A2 MFs, and it’s one of the most robust yet refined polymer pistols I own. It is also supremely accurate. Grip angle is pretty severe, and for those trained to shoot to trigger reset, they might have a difficult time adjusting. Grip texture is second only to my M&P 2.0. The reset is nearly impossible to detect, but the take up is short and smooth. These are all things that can be trained around.

Supposedly caliber exchange kits in different sizes are coming, which will be welcome as the L9 is not a small pistol. They are awesome pistols, and massively underrated.

Posts: 103 | Registered: August 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an L9, just has a longer barrel and it’s my fav. 9mm and I’ve had a lot of em

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
I got an M9 early on and it has been a great pistol.

Some of them were released with a handcuff key lock for police adoption, making them more collectible I would argue.

I like the extra safety feature for a striker fired pistol.

HK Ag

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My buddy has Steyrs. He loves them. I’m very meh on them.

Trigger is so-so, reset is almost undetectable. Sights are unusual and I’m not a real fan. Grip angle is the real deal killer for me. To me, it’s a Glock in a pretty dress motorcycle leathers. They’re accurate, but between the grip angle and the sights I string vertically shooting it.

So not a bad pistol, just not for me. I wanna say they were sub $400 recently.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RioGrande481
posted Hide Post
Steyr makes a fine pistol. I have an M9, an L9-A1 and a L9-A2 MF. They are all great. Once you understand them the trap sights work well.

Their pistols are robust and their customer service has been quite good.

Make sure the pistol is from Steyr USA. There were some gray market “Frankensteyr” pistols imported by PW Arms. They are kind of a mixture of parts built for a foreign government contract or something.

RioGrande481

“I didn’t get where I am today by everything smelling of Bolivian Unicyclist’s jock straps!”
C.J. Supercut 1976

Posts: 524 | Registered: August 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm not laughing
WITH you
Picture of Rolan_Kraps
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dakor:
Rolan - Was your Steyr previously owned and, if so, was it modified beyond the sights? Was it an A1 model? The plain M9 model had known issues with the extractor, which was updated in the A1 series.

Dakor, it was an M9-A1 that had been upgraded for the extractor. Still janky, so I traded it.

Rolan Kraps
SASS Regulator
Gainesville, Georgia.
NRA Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol / Personal Protection Inside the Home

Posts: 23577 | Location: Gainesville, GA | Registered: October 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have one of the later m9a1’s I bought a few years ago. Nice pistol, well built, wish the grip texturing was a little more aggressive and still cannot get used to the Trap sights. I added a 1911 spring to the extractor spring which really made extraction rock solid, even with weaker loads. Also added a Big Taco firing pin/striker bushing and pistol grip mag well cavity plug. The trigger and reset were pretty smooth before but really smooth now. Have debated stippling the grip a bit as well as the change of sights. Just haven’t gotten around to it.

Posts: 268 | Location: South Florida  | Registered: July 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post