SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 DAK to DA/SA Should I?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 DAK to DA/SA Should I? Login/Join 
posted
I just acquired a nearly NIB P239 in 9mm DAK. I thought I was getting a DA/SA but it is indeed a DAK pistol. The description was wrong with the posting. The restocking fee is too much to return.

I am trying to decide if I should send it to Sig to have them convert it to DA/SA. The cost would be $255. On top of that they said they don’t have a trigger bar. I found a trigger bar but it is $85 bucks. So I would be really floating some dollars.

I like to have 2 of things for my daughters when I return to stardust.

What does the collective say…

Should I keep what I have, or should I send it to Sig and have it converted? Ultimately what will hold its value or increase in value, more at some point in the future?

My “gut” says perhaps I should just keep it and get a lighter hammer spring for it. Or just hang on to it and keep it in the safe as something I could sell if I had to without any sentimental value attached to it.

Help me tip the decision scale one way or another.

Posts: 38 | Location: St. Paul MN USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of dsiets
posted Hide Post
Have you shot it?

I've never shot a DAK but I hear great things to the point that you have me curious if you like how it shoots.

Posts: 7354 | Location: MI | Registered: May 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a rarity. Probably a thin market, but somebody out there would likely pay a premium price for one in like-new condition.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8941 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If it was range only, I’d probably just deal with it. If you’re gonna carry, yeah I’d switch it.

------------------------------------------------
Charter member of the vast, right-wing conspiracy

Posts: 1860 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have yet to shoot it. Honestly even if I convert it I am doubtful I would shoot it. I have my P239 DA/SA that I carry and shoot. The girls each have a P365 in .380 for them to carry. Maybe I just answered my own question.

Posts: 38 | Location: St. Paul MN USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Before you convert it, I suggest you shoot it first. Not just once but I would put at least a couple hundred rounds through it before I made a decision. I have several DAKS and it's a great system but it requires a little time to get used to it. With enough practice you can become as competent with it as any other system.

Posts: 5742 | Location: Chicago | Registered: August 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Get some ammo and see if it is for you. Dry fire the piss out of it. Make sure you hold the trigger when you rack the slide. That is the true trigger pull for double action kellerman. No ammo or magazines around.

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The listing was wrong and inaccurate but there would still be a restocking fee? Doesn't sound right to me. I'd be calling them and see what they're going to do about their mistake. A DAK Sig is generally less valuable than a DA/SA Sig.

Posts: 351 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would sell it. No way is over 300 bucks to convert a good deal. DAK holds zero appeal to me. Some love it though. Maybe you are one of them. Go shoot it and see.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
No, don't convert it!

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 365 is a DAO just like the DAK. only it is striker fired. If you plan on giving this to your daughters that are use to a firearm that automatically de-cocks after any shot then a DA/SA is the poorer choice for them other than as a range toy.

The first shot should be all that is necessary to disable, thus making any further shooting premeditated and unnecessary for self defense. {this potentially could mean some jail time for offensive shooting rather than defensive shooting.}

Since they both already are use to having a firearm that automatically de-cocks, A DA/SA would be counter to all they are use to and have become accustom to.

Since you are talking about a lighter mainspring, I would assume that you are not familiar with the DAK trigger and it's already light trigger pull {long and smooth}{it is designed to light off any primer weather hard or soft, made anywhere in the world, dependably.

The DA/SA is not nearly as safe as a DAK system for general carry. In the height of an Adrenalin dump, to do just one more thing that you might very well forget is not a good idea. I would forgo doing anything to it without both shooting it and having your daughters shoot it. {since that is it's future}

Speed shooting can be a bad idea for a civilian defensive shoot. One and done should be the goal and the DAK {as is the 365} is a good system for that.

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all of the feedback. It is helpful. I have a word into the company online that I purchased the P239 from.

I will see what they come back with. Given its condition I believe I could sell it for more than I paid for it. Whomever appraised the pistol did not completely field strip it. There is zero marks on the rails and only a couple of smiley’s at best on the barrel.

Whomever had this before me likely fired a box of ammo and put it in the safe.

Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
I am a P239 fan to the extreme. I'm not a fan of the DAK system but I have two P239's with it. One I bought just because I had driven an hour to buy a P239 and then discovered it was a DAK and did not want to waste two hours of my life. From what you have said about this one and how you plan to use it I would keep it as is. There is nothing inherently wrong with the DAK system.. It's just double action only with two reset positions which I can't for the life of me figure out how it is needed or the real advantage. The further, 2nd, reset is a lighter trigger pull and I guess that makes it better.... but then it is a longer travel... but the difference between the two is about an eighth of an inch.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
There is nothing inherently wrong with the DAK system.. It's just double action only with two reset positions which I can't for the life of me figure out how it is needed or the real advantage.

I believe the intent of the first reset is to avoid short stroking with no bang in the event the shooter doesn't fully let the trigger out to the 2nd / primary reset.

Posts: 351 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 30, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I resist and resist, but still succumb to getting drawn into these discussions.

I have stated this countless times before in discussions about the DAK trigger, but here it is again:

The first, short reset point of the DAK mechanism … wait for it … a little more …: shortens the distance the trigger must be released to … reset the trigger to fire another shot. The long trigger reset of the original SIG double action only trigger was one of the perpetual complaints that people whined and moaned about. I’ve read that the designer of the trigger system, Herr Kellermann, has helped promote the “short stroke elimination” idea, but if he truly said that, he doesn’t understand the feature’s benefit himself, and it simply doesn’t make sense.

The short reset feature of the DAK trigger is not required for the other characteristics of the system, most notably its significantly lighter pull weight. The short reset requires additional mechanical design elements that could have simply been left out. “Well, what about the short stroking problem?” Okay, what about it? How many other handguns with double action triggers have mechanical features to help deal with a poor shooter’s bad trigger manipulation practices? How did generations of double action revolver shooters manage without them? The answer is that they simply learned to operate their triggers properly without adding a mechanical feature that befuddles so many people. Short stroke the trigger a few times, and anyone who is smart and perceptive enough to be permitted to own a gun at all will stop doing it.

As I’ve also pointed out countless times, using the short reset feature of the DAK trigger is optional and therefore can be ignored if one is unable to understand and make use of it. It’s like the ketchup on your table at the steak house: if you don’t like it on your filet mignon, don’t use it. If the ketchup on the table disturbs you, pretend it’s not there, and I guarantee that it won’t creep out of the bottle to befoul your filet by itself. Pretend that the short reset of the DAK trigger does not exist, and there’s nothing about it that will make you use it.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have decided I will keep it and enjoy it for what it is. A P239 variant. The night sights are long gone and I am not a fan of those anyway. Since I have a nice sight pusher I will just convert those to contrast sights. For some reason I prefer the old style sights vs the 2 dot rear style. To each their own of course. Just like the DAK vs. DA/SA it would seem.

Thanks to all that responded!

posted Hide Post
I love DAK discussions. The guys who love them struggle to understand why the rest of us are looking at them funny. lol You just summed it up well. It has a second reset which you probably should ignore unless you like the trigger to be heavier. Which who doesn't love the trigger to be heavier? We want to understand you DAK people, we want to help you. Come to the light Carrie Anne.

All in good fun.

Posts: 7469 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I believe that the shorter reset is a position needed to have the second strike capability and has very little to do with design for normal shooting.

Made as a gun for Law Enforcement {can be known for buying bottom dollar ammo, here in the USA and all across Europe at times} Reliability was paramount.

Since the de-cocked position that a DAK assumes after firing doesn't offer a second strike if the round doesn't fire and the hammer is too far forward , it needs another purchase point positioned for second strike. {more important with a single stack and possible poor European ammo}

YMMV

Big Stack
posted Hide Post
If you really don't want the DAK sell this pistol and find a DA/SA to buy. I wouldn't convert the gun. If you buy a DA/SA gun, you can decide if you want to keep the DAK gun also.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Shooters would better understand the DAK system if they quite thinking in terms of DA/SA pistols and instead think of the curing of the deficiency's of the earlier DAO.

The earlier produced DAO had a heavy trigger pull every-time.

The DAK fixed this issue.

So you end up with a smooth long trigger pull like a well tuned revolver trigger. Safer for everyday carry than a short touchy trigger.

Easier to conceal/flat with a removable magazine, faster reload and a few more rounds. Always de-cocks after each shot so is safer than a DA/SA for LEO use and carry. Just re-holster. Not meant as a range toy and not made with mag dumps in mind.

Made to improve the DAO not to improve the DA/SA but designed as an alternative to replace a revolver.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: roym,