SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P239 DAK to DA/SA Should I?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P239 DAK to DA/SA Should I? Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roym:
I believe that the shorter reset is a position needed to have the second strike capability

It’s true that with the hammer fully forward as during dry firing or in the event of a failure to fire that the trigger bar first contacts the short reset stud on the hammer when the trigger is reset and pulled again. With the current design of the DAK mechanism, if that stud were not present, there would be no second strike capability or the ability to dry fire the gun without cycling the slide after each trigger pull.

I question, though, whether a change in the mechanism’s design would permit a second strike capability without the short reset stud. The original SIG double action only (DAO) mechanism doesn’t have a short reset feature and dry firing or a second strike is simply a matter of pulling the trigger again after the hammer falls. The mechanism is of course very different, but although the DAK system uses the short reset stud to initiate a restrike, I can’t see why it would be required if the short reset mechanism were missing and the trigger bar and hammer were redesigned. If I’m right then again that was not the original purpose of the short reset option.

And a second strike capability is one of those things people are all exercised about—until they’re not. I suspect that more pistols lack the feature than those that have it, including all the 1911 variants and striker-fired models like the extremely common offerings today. Even traditional double action revolvers don’t have a true second strike capability of being able to hit the same cartridge again without cycling through the full cylinder. SIG Classic line pistols are actually an exception to the general rule, and I get the impression that it’s, “My pistol has it, so it’s important to have; but if it didn’t have it, it wouldn’t be.”

But it’s an interesting question that I hadn’t considered before.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
sigfreund

I realize that I mistakenly stated that the earlier DAO didn't have second strike.

I should have said that the improved lighter trigger of the DAK would not of had second strike except for the addition of the short reset stud. Thank You for properly stating this. {I have several DAK, but don't own the earlier DAO}

Posts: 58 | Registered: October 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Most people who love DAK are the ones who have trained extensively with it.
The quote I often heard was: "If you learn it, you will love it". And doing away with the decocking was seen as a + for law enforcement. I just never was able to spend enough shooting / training time with DAK to be as proficient as I was with DA/SA.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16085 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of neverfollow
posted Hide Post
My 2 cents. I picked up a NIB P229 40 DAK for a great price. I had shot Sig DA/SA for years - the DAK system was new to me. I read the reviews (sigfreund has great insight) and started to shoot it to gain proficiency. For me, the DAK didn't provide the accuracy I realized with a traditional DA/SA Sig. I essentially went thru more ammo (peak ammo prices) than the firearm cost - and was still frustrated. Sent the firearm to Sig for the conversion, added X-ray sights and an SRT and it now is my favorite CCW firearm. Obviously, I'm an an 'N' of 1 but I'm glad I did the conversion.

Posts: 92 | Location: NC | Registered: March 21, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
If you don't like it, sell it here in the classifieds with zero fees. Ship FFL to FFL. Easy Peasy.

I'd sell it before going through all the time and money involved in converting. You may just find someone who has been looking for a DAK P239. I love my DA/SA P239, and wouldn't mind shooting a DAK, but alas I've spent too much money on other SIGs this year, lol.

Posts: 5760 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
As I've already posted, my opinion is keep it as it is...
but then I will add...

then buy a DA/SA one and then then another one and then another one...... and repeat....

I only suggest this because it is what I did.

Now I'm going to pull out the DAK one I have stored away and put the laser targeting cartridge in it that I have in a DA/SA one sitting on my test that I practice with and work on my 'DAK' shooting.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would keep it and just take your time scrounging parts, i have a 229 that was DAK, and yes i hated it, over a period of time i acquired the parts to convert for very little out of pocket, but then again i bought 1903 Springfield parts thirty years ago for a rainy day, so i dont mind waiting and squirreling away parts

Posts: 95 | Registered: October 21, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
So you end up with a smooth long trigger pull like a well tuned revolver trigger.

Exactly!

Just ignore the reset hump.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by roym:
Shooters would better understand the DAK system if they quite thinking in terms of DA/SA pistols and instead think of the curing of the deficiency's of the earlier DAO.
So you end up with a smooth long trigger pull like a well tuned revolver trigger. Safer for everyday carry than a short touchy trigger.

Easier to conceal/flat with a removable magazine, faster reload and a few more rounds. Always de-cocks after each shot so is safer than a DA/SA for LEO use and carry. Just re-holster. Not meant as a range toy and not made with mag dumps in mind.

Made to improve the DAO not to improve the DA/SA but designed as an alternative to replace a revolver.

This is an excellent summary. @mncorrado I am glad you kept DAK. Hammer-fired consistent trigger pull, semi-autos - are a rare breed, and in my view as the best option for carry.

Posts: 91 | Registered: February 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The P239 made it to Sig for the conversion. The tipping point for me was that everyone in the family uses DA/SA classic P’s. It was just too much of an oddity compared to the rest. Normally I probably would have sold it to someone else but it is in NIB condition. I love my other P239 so it will be like the other DA/SA I have.

The DAK did have a very smooth trigger pull.

Posts: 38 | Location: St. Paul MN USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I forgot to add that Sig will obviously return all of the DAK parts to me so someone in the future will have the opportunity to have a DAK or DA/SA setup.

Posts: 38 | Location: St. Paul MN USA | Registered: November 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
Now you see I learned something.... I did not know I could send my DAK P239 to sig and get it converted... I actually may do that with one of mine. Or I might be willing to do it myself if I had all the parts.. I did do a switch between a 357 DAK and 9mm DA/SA one.... it was an adventure but I got it done.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Posts: 4441 | Location: Greenville, SC | Registered: January 30, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You will have to source a DA/SA trigger bar. I guess the custom shop is out of them. I found a NIB one with all of my spare parts and sent that along.

posted Hide Post
This sounds like the perfect opportunity to buy another p239 in da/sa, and keep the Dak around to keep the other guns in the safe company.

I'm biased, I actually shot the Dak really well. When I found a good deal on a da/SA I added that to the collection.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blume9mm
posted Hide Post
As for the point about Sig not having the trigger bar... I am always amazed when folks start talking about a certain gun's parts no longer being available... I will admit this is out of my realm of expertise but my late father was a machinist for 50 years... and he could with the right tools make anything... how hard would it be for someone in the know to make a trigger bar... heck seems obvious to me... Gray Guns makes all kinds of after market parts for Sigs... I've even bought some.

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"

Nature does not hurry, yet everything is accomplished
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blume9mm:
As for the point about Sig not having the trigger bar... I am always amazed when folks start talking about a certain gun's parts no longer being available... I will admit this is out of my realm of expertise but my late father was a machinist for 50 years... and he could with the right tools make anything... how hard would it be for someone in the know to make a trigger bar... heck seems obvious to me... Gray Guns makes all kinds of after market parts for Sigs... I've even bought some.

Anything is possible with enough money, I guess, but I think the hard part is finding someone willing to make one (that's properly formed, hardened, etc). It is one of if not the most complex parts in a classic Sig and there aren't many people or companies willing to make "one offs" (I'm assuming). Since the part is listed as discontinued in all the common places (Midwest, etc) the obvious thing to do, as you've said, is buy a used TDA P239.

Posts: 4078 | Location: NC | Registered: December 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post