SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    S&W Model 69 vs. 329, Update got a 329
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

S&W Model 69 vs. 329, Update got a 329 Login/Join 
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted
Broke down and got the 329 today. Took another revolver into Wild West Guns today for some smithing work. Took a look at the 329 and they kept making me offers and throwing in upgrades until I finally broke down.

New in the box 329, both sets of factory grips; wood and rubber, Hogue X-frame grips thrown in as well as a set of LPA fiber optic sights. The sights I'm impressed with. The X-frame grips I'll have to try shooting first, they do lengthen the reach to the trigger.

I have a feeling this thing is going to be a beast to shoot, stick with my .44 Magnum, "Cowboy" lads of a 240gr SWC at 900fps for practice and save the big loads for when they're needed. Lockup is very tight and there is virtually no endshake and a thin barrel/cylinder gap. The trigger is very stiff and will hopefully smooth out, if not a trigger job will probably happen. And the lock is going to go!

I did look at a 69 at another shop. More endshake than any Smith revolver that I've ever handled and the timing was way off, like dangerously off. Not a revolver I would've bought and made me nervous about ordering one from Wild West of what the quality would be when it arrived.

In the end I justified the 329 as more, "Practical"; it fits the holsters I already have for my 629 Mountain Gun, 6 shots over 5, and while it has a 2 piece barrel at least there's a reason for it being an alloy gun rather than just cutting manufacturing costs. It's definitely not a replacement for my 629 Mountain Gun, a gun I'll never get rid of. It's more like an alternative. Legal in Canada, light weight for when I' packing camera gear, hunting gear, etc. It's large revolver especially with the X-frame grips so it's not going to be concealed. I'll still carry the 629 when a large bore revolver is preferred but some degree of concealment s in order. Yes, it sound strange referring to an N-frame as a carry gun, but with round butt grips it can and has been done.

For those who say pics or it didn't happen...

Planning a road trip this summer from Anchorage to Haines, Ak, ferry to Skagway and then driving back to Anchorage. Part of the reason of going to Haines is photographing brown bears. So yes, I want to take a sidearm when out with the camera.

Driving from Anchorage to Haines, we've got to cross Canada before coming back into Alaska. Leaving Skagway, we'll have to cross the Yukon Territory again before returning back to Alaska. Canadian firearms laws do not allow for transportation of a handgun with anything less than a 4.1" barrel. My 629 Mountain Gun has to stay home.

So looking at a 69 and a 329 which both come with a 4.125" barrel and legal to transport in Canuckistan. Both of which are light and compact enough they can be carried with camera gear. Wanting to hear from those who've had experience with both how they compare.

Thanks in advance.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: 2000Z-71,

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
From what I gather, the 329's are nasty.
Where as the 69's are.. less nasty. lol

I have a short 325PD (45acp/45Auto Rim) and shooting it tells me I do not want a 329. Big Grin (And I shoot big stuff)
It's nice to carry, easy to forget it's there, but I do not shoot it well, no doubt in part to it's light weight.

I had a 696 years ago and sold it because it was so similar to my Mountain gun in size and weight. But when the 69 came out, I was intrigued. When the short barrel one came out, I knew I wanted one. But I keep putting it off. Need to fix that while they;re still available.

Posts: 21116 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The 69 is best compared to the 29/629 mountain gun. They both have similar recoil, the 69 just has one less round and takes up slightly less space. The 329 is in a class all by itself. It is lighter, but is quite a handful in the recoil dept. If you get the 329, get the hogue grips for the smith 500. The standard wood grips supplied look pretty but are downright nasty with mag loads, and the standard nframe hogue grips, while better than the wood are still harsh. The 500 grips do make the grip feel larger as they cover the backstrap, but that is what helps manage the substantial recoil.

I would go with the 69, as it is less costly, and is more fun to shoot. The 329 is fun with 44 specials, but magnum loads are more tolerable out of the 69.

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would swap the grips on the 69, as well. I do not like the grips they come with. I like the backstrap exposed. I switched to the hogue rubber bantam grips, even on the short barrel 69. The hohue rubber round/square conversion work just as well, just are a little larger. The wood grips are ok with 44 special, but not much fun with magnum loads. Just like a mountain gun.

Posts: 166 | Registered: September 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
329PD is the most brutal (for recoil) pistol that I have ever shot.
A shooting buddy has the 329 and a 500.
The 500 was sweet shooting compared that 329.

So the 329 is light, easy to carry and you're not going to feel the recoil when shooting at a charging Brownie.
It's just no fun to practice with.

I would bring my G20 loaded with some skull penetrators.
15+1 and easy to shoot.

Posts: 434 | Registered: November 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
329 great .44 special. My friend replaced the grips with the x-frame grip still to me to painful after 3 magnum rounds to enjoy...VI

Posts: 646 | Registered: July 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I get to tell my 329 story again! Big Grin

OK, I bought one when they first came out. Looked and handled well, a great idea. But then I started reading and realized the feather weight was at the expense of you hand. So off I go to a winter camp out. It was named the blueball for a good reason.

So I get there and announce that I had a new handgun and wanted to shoot it, and if anyone minded. Hell no, they support anyone shooting, besides there was beer! We'd just barely started so out comes the 329. I carefully loaded up the 3 cylinders with maggies, the 300 grain bear loads. Then the last 3 with nice Specials. I carefully indexed it so the first 3 would be my specisls. I put on a pretty good show of the Specials hurting when it went off. Then after 3 shots I announced I was done for the day.

We had one guy that can do anything better than you or anyone else. When I asked if anyone else wanted a new experience, he was up in a flash. He foolishly fired the first round one handed. Watching the pain on his hand was priceless. I didn't know if he was going to continue or not, but like the fool he is, he did. At least he did those 2 with both hands. Watching him wince was worth it.

I took my lawn chair over by my buddy Wes. He'd spent most of the prior 32 years as a detective. As soon as I sat down he mentioned that he thought he heard a difference in sounds between my shots and Davey's. Nothing escapes the trained observer. By then the other guy was bringing my gun back to me. Never missing an opportunity to rub it in, I even asked if he wanted more ammo. Nope, 3 was plenty.

Ever since, its been a 44 Special gun. Never even a thought of magnum loads. Its really a fine 6 shot special. I've got a 696 and 396. To me, if you want a very nice, easy to carry 6 shot Special, its the hot ticket. You've got to be a damn fool to shoot Magnum loads, particularly bear loads like hot 300 grain jobs.

If the OP here is considering it, fire one with those loads before taking it as a self defense gun. If you don't want specials, check laws and if legal, take a Mossberg 14" 12 gauge. Yes, I've got one of those too. And I'm not damn fool enough to shoot one of those with slugs or buckshot.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a 69. I swapped the grips for Hogue and added a lanyard. The recoil is very tolerable with the Hogue grips and overall accuracy has been surprisingly good. For a packable and shootable 44 magnum, it fits the bill nicely. The 329 only satisfies one of those boxes.

Ignem Feram

Posts: 531 | Registered: October 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pizza Bob
posted Hide Post
If you come across a brown bear that isn't observing social distancing, you'll never notice the added recoil of the lightweight 329. I'd opt for six shots, because five just may not do it. As others have advised, Hogue Tamers are a must. Plus there are lots of "once fired" 329's out there in the market place.

Adios,

Pizza Bob

NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 1451 | Location: Central NJ | Registered: January 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Here's a link to current Canadian gun licensing/travel/ and border crossing restrictions: https://www.ezbordercrossing.c...firearm-into-canada/

Here's my bear story...hunting elk, high up in Colorado 20 years ago, I killed a fair bull about 2:30 in the afternoon up around 9000' elevation. By 4:30, I'd quartered it out, then packed out a hind quarter along with my .35 Whelen, leaving the rifle stashed near the two-track for later pick up. It was 1/2 mile in 6" of crusty snow, back to the kill site, where I loaded the 2nd quarter and proceeded back along my trail to the jeep track...there in the snow were very fresh bear tracks that had followed me on my return...padnah, I gotta tell you, the hair on my head was standing tall. I made it to the track, retrieved my rifle and went back, managing to cashe the remainder of the meat up a spruce. Then went back to camp for night. Why that bear didn't attack I have no idea, but I've never hunted since without a handgun for the times when packing out means no rifle. Those tracks on my trail were fresh and I was carrying nearly 100 lbs of raw meat while covered in fresh blood...dumb doesn't begin to describe my position....oddly enough, the next morning with a buddy to keep watch, we found the meat still hung where I'd left it, and no close in bear sign... Robert Ruark, an old Africa hand, once said, "use enough gun"; and I'd venture to say it isn't a handgun...but better than nothing if you're figuring the odds.

Now as to the OP's options: For the US side of the fence, I'd opt for a Smith model 629...more weight to mitigate heavy .44 Magnum full-house recoil making it somewhat easier to get in a 2nd shot if necessary.

While I own both a 5", full lugged bbl. Model 629 as well as the 4-1/4" bbl'd 69, I'll readily admit that the 629 is pretty much of a range toy. However, I regularly carry and do a good deal of shooting with the 69 here on our KY farm. Generally, I load Skelton level .44 special rounds for it (240 gr at 950-1000 fps), and rarely carry .44 Mags. The gun's light weigh and great balance make it an easy all-day carry piece in a good OWB holster and the lighter loads have proved more than enough. Too, we aren't bothered, as a rule, by grizzlies here in the Blue Grass, but hey...ya never know!

For your use, and with most any type of outer wear, a cross chest tanker rig should be more than adequate for either gun, and allow better access if the need arises. And the chest rig will keep your hands free for the camera, but still allow access the gun...better than say a combat slung shotgun. YMMv however.

Lastly IMHO, like Ruark, any handgun is a poor choice against a serious bear attack...a 12 or 10 gage with suitable slugs would be my suggestion and is the standard for use by Alaskan State Troopers, IIRC. And it sounds like it's far easier to travel though the Canadian part of your route without the hassle of an "evil" handgun. YMMv, be safe, Rod

5th Spl Forces, Air Force Bird Dog FAC, lll Corps RVN 69-70.... We enjoy the Bill of Rights by the sacrifices of our veterans;
Politicians, Preachers, Educators, Journalists and Community Organizers are beneficiaries, not defenders of our freedoms.

Posts: 728 | Registered: April 04, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
I'd carry bear spray and if you can absolutely NOT carry a 12 ga...get the M69. Far more controllable with magnums.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 329 4" and with serious loads ie Federal 240grs.. It was as others have said painful to shoot. Ideal if the true likelihood of meeting a bear is low. Why carry more weight to protect from a very unlikely danger? If the danger is greater definatly go with the 69.

Posts: 248 | Location: SE Pennsylvania | Registered: August 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Every day is New Year's Day
for Calendar Boy!

Oh, and I'm BANNED
posted Hide Post
The 69 will be a 5 shot. Between the 2 I'd pick the 329 if for no other reason that it holds 6.

When I went hunting in the central part of Alaska I carried a 6in 629 in a chest bandoleer.

Honestly, if I ever get a chance to go back, I'll carry a Glock 20 in 10mm with heavy 200gr bullets. 15 10mm is a bit more comforting. All in a package that's probably a bit lighter and easier to shoot well.

Posts: 1045 | Registered: September 06, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I had a 329, yes the recoil is substantial. Pachmayr Decelerator grips worked wonders, can't recommend any thing better in my opinion.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Jack of All Trades,
Master of Nothing
Picture of 2000Z-71
posted Hide Post
Update at top.

My daughter can deflate your daughter's soccer ball.

Posts: 11779 | Location: Eagle River, AK | Registered: September 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
About those 2 piece barrels, do a bit of reading up on Dan Wesson Revolvers, the original tensioned barrel revolver. If you want a 1 MOA or less Handgun you will have to look for one with a Tensioned barrel.

I have a S&W model 620 which was one of the first Smith's with a 2 piece barrel and using a 1.75X Nikon handgun scope and a sandbag for a wrist rest I've shot 7/8 groups with it at 50 yards. Granted not quite 1 MOA but pretty darned close for an old fart with a wee bit of shake. When the 327 R8 was first introduced Guns & Ammo did a review on it and the reviewer shot multiple sub 1/2 inch groups at 50 yards with it because all he saw at 25 yards was single hole groups.

To be blunt, if you spend enough time practicing to perfect your technique you will find that 329 of yours is the most accurate handgun you own. So don't be complaining about that 2 piece barrel, it really is an improvement. BTW, don't blame you a bit for losing the Hildebeast Hole, hate to have that engage with a 1400 lbs. grizzly charging.

PS; a friend is set up for an Elk hunt this year and wants a Bear Gun to carry. He was originally thinking about a compact 45 ACP Plastic Fantastic but I suggested a 44 Magnum. Now he is looking at a 4 inch model 69.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5660 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I had a 329 for a short time, but I just never really warmed up to it. I've seen picked up both barrel lengths of the 69 and plan on keeping them both. Both are great guns, I just preferred the slightly trimmer 69 for my own use.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of nathab2
posted Hide Post
I've really enjoyed my 329. Great trigger on mine and it shoots straight as a laser. It's a handful with 240 gr factory magnums but very manageable in my opinion with the factory rubber grips. I have no trouble shooting it well, just can't shoot more than 3 or 4 cylinders before fatigue really sets in. Not a problem for the use case for this particular tool. I want to get a couple of boxes of the Buffalo Bore 255gr "reduced" loads (1350fps) to test out but the price has so far deterred me.

What it does well, it does better than any other firearm I own - it carries well, shoots straight, and has the firepower to put a hurting on the big toothy critters. I've carried it on a 60 mi backpacking trip crossing the Continental Divide in WY where every ounce counts - without regret. A loaded P228 feels heavy after carrying this revolver! It is all but impervious to weather, which I get a lot of here in the PNW Cascade range.

The light weight and weather resistant materials come at a cost though. The gun takes a beating when it's fired with magnums. There's an article, not too hard to find on the internet, written by a gentleman who put thousands of full power magnums through his 329 and documented the issues he had.

Like that author, I have sent my gun back to S&W for repair. Also like that author I received excellent service from S&W with a hassle free and quick turnaround on their dime.

I can recommend the 329 for what it was designed to be: a light weight, easily carried, high powered insurance policy. And personally I find it fun to shoot. Cool

I carry mine anytime I'm in the mountains. It's enough gun for any predator I'll encounter. Just remember it's not designed to take the abuse of a 44 mag indefinitely without maintenance like some of the 2.5lb + steel revolvers are. It's designed for a different use case. But you can have confidence that S&W will take care of you if you need help, their CS seems to be dialed in.

Posts: 897 | Location: OR, USA | Registered: September 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post