SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    P220 POI question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

P220 POI question Login/Join 
posted
So I’m brand new to the site. I’ve owned a sig P220 extreme elite for about a year. My first sig. not my last I hope. Love shooting this pistol fits me well the recoil is very manageable
My problem is I’m consistently low of target. Considerably.
My sight picture is the front dot in line with rear two and then cover the target with front dot. I read that sig uses combat sight so I should cover target rather than placing dot on or below target. Anyway. I don’t think I’m flinching or slamming the trigger. I don’t have this problem with other pistols
Are there techniques I can try? I’m just a recreational shooter. No real formal training.
Can I have the front post lowered? Is this issue unique to me
I can’t seem to figure out how to post a pic. But if I had a silhouette target at 15 yards and I was aiming center mass heart type shot. I’d be grouping six inches low. The groups are tight. Just low

Posts: 3 | Registered: January 28, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
What are the sight numbers?
Other folks shot your gun with similar results?

Welcome to SF.

Q

Posts: 26428 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I made it so far,
now I'll go for more
Picture of rbert0005
posted Hide Post
The only dot you should be looking at is the front one.

Line up the top of the sights and put the front dot on your poi.

Of course, you should be testing it off of a rest.

Bob

I am no expert, but think I am sometimes.

Posts: 4581 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: January 23, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Still finding my way
Picture of Ryanp225
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the forum!
You could be in need of a shorter front sight but before I changed anything I would suggest having a couple other shooters see if they have the same issue with your pistol. I have been convinced several times that I needed to bring a hammer and drift with me to the range only to discover that my grip or trigger finger needed work.
Good luck!

Posts: 10850 | Registered: January 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hadn’t thought of someone else shooting it. Makes sense. And I measured target. It’s more like 4 inch low at 15 yards.
Distance from rear of rear sight to front of front sight. 6.556
Sight height of front sight from tops of slide to top of front post .200. Was best I could figure. My calipers didn’t fit well

Picture of JAFO
posted Hide Post
See if you can find some small numbers stamped into the sides of the sights. Typically, they are a "6" on the front and "8" on the rear for a .45, but you may have different numbers.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
"I drank what?" - Socrates

Posts: 5181 | Location: S.A., TX | Registered: July 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Gambit
posted Hide Post
I was disappointed with my P220 the first few times out due to the low POI when sighting as I always had with other handguns.
Rather than change sights I now cover my intended target with my front sight. With a little practice I found that sweet spot.
This pistol now makes me look good.

Posts: 915 | Location: Acadiana | Registered: February 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congrats on the 220!

Having others shoot your 220 is a great way to assess.

Also maybe a follow through issue. After each shot, ensure you are driving the front sight on target for the next shot. Sometimes the anticipation, the need and desire to see results drives the shot low. The best remedy- dry fire with follow through! Good luck!

Semper Fi
Madmatt

SIGs, BHPs, CZ PCRs, HKs, 1911s, S&W 625-3 45 ACP, HK/Benelli M1S90, Colts 6721/LE6920, Steyr SBSs, Emerson and ZT Knives, Rubicons, Harleys & APBTs

Posts: 416 | Location: USA | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Feel like I’ve learned from you all, I’ve got a bit to work on. I’ll report back next weekend. This weekend my 14 year old and I are off to hunt those stinky AZ javelina. Hope he smacks one