SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Has anyone else experienced difficulty trying to install an 'X GRIP' Adapter on an P.226 Magazine ?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Has anyone else experienced difficulty trying to install an 'X GRIP' Adapter on an P.226 Magazine ? Login/Join 
posted
Good Morning Gents, I recently purchased an X-GRIP Magazine Adapter for my 1991 vintage [ KB ] P.228 9mm. It was to fill in the slight gap when using an 15 rd P.226 9mm Magazine in mybP.228. Naturally I assumed it would install without difficulty as had numerous other bad X-GRIP Models I've used over the years on all types of handguns. Well, such was not the case !! I noticed the difference immediately upon opening the package that this particular item was significantly different that all the others, as they had been designed to simply slip over the Magazine tube, held in place via a friction fit. ( Never, ever had an issue with any of that style. ) The one I just received was designed to be 'press fit', in which you needed to snap it onto & over the Magazines baseplate, one side at a time. I tried installing it for just over 20 minutes at which time I quit before I ended up damaging either the Mag-base, the X-Grip, or both !! Sooooo, has anyone else here encountered this issue with these new type X-Grips designated for an 15 rd P.226 Mag [ Mec-Gar, Italian mfg., as per many of Sig's O.E.M. issue ] for use in an P.228 ? I did contact the Seller, but they apparently feel it's me, as they're requesting photos of the Magazine Base, along with the Sig Model in question. I'm honestly not sure it's worth all the baloney on a $16.00 item, but I bad hoped they would simply take my word for it & hopefully send me an older, 'slip over' version as an replacement ? ANY INFORMATION on this particular issue will be very much appreciated !! THANK YOU Guys,

Best regards, Dom P. / "dpast32'

Posts: 156 | Location: New England Region, of USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this will help or not but,

From the X grip web site: https://x-grips.com/sigsauer/p228229m11/

" Compatible with SIGSAUER factory original German manufactured P226 magazines with 43mm floorplates. If you have the newly redesigned magazine or Mec-Gar magazine with the longer protruding metal floorplate, you can grind it down from the 45mm length to the 43mm length of the original German design and the XGRIP will protect and cover this modification."

I have installed several of this type of adapter made by a different company on 17 rnd. Mecgar mags and had to file off some material from the front of the base plate.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
THANK YOU 'Dr. Steve', I do believe you solved the mystery so to speak ! Yes, the Mag in question is indeed a Mec-Gar example, which I naturally assumed would fit without any issues, as they are known as OEM. Yet that's apparently exactly what occurred with mine. I tried everything in an attempt to get it to snap over, but it simply wasn't going to go. I've picked up a few Mec-Gars recently, a couple for all of my Sigs except my P.220 which I already have enough. It's no big deal though, as I'll just use the 15 rd as is as it only extends a very small amount. So, THANKS AGAIN, I appreciate your kind reply.

Best, Dom P.

Posts: 156 | Location: New England Region, of USA | Registered: January 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Not a Dr, just a plain ole D_.
If you have a P226 mag from Sig handy the base on it will exchange with the MecGar and you won't need to file it. Actually, I used a Dremel and a bit of cold blue.

"Let's Go Brandon"

Posts: 1537 | Location: Indiana | Registered: July 10, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hi Steve, No unfortunately my only 9mm Sig is my old 1991 P.228, so I can't swap anything around to check fit. My other Sigs are all either .45 ACP, or as with my 226R/DAK & 229R/DAK are both .357 / .40 combo's. I could probably attempt a grind job with the 15 rd 9mm, but it's honestly not worth it for that tiny amount of exposed Mag. I have a few new 18 rd Mec-Gars with the black plastic bases on them & they'll serve just fine. THANKS AGAIN My Friend,

Best, Dom P.

Semper Paratus
Picture of sj4550
posted Hide Post
dpast32,

If you need to swap out a mag, let me know. I have multiple and i'm sure can find something that would work

Posts: 378 | Location: Ovilla, TX | Registered: May 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
dpast32,
Email sent

"Let's Go Brandon"

posted Hide Post
Hey, THANK YOU Guys, I truly do appreciate the offers !! Last time I had ordered some Magazines for all of my Sigs,I ordered all the higher capacity Mec-Gars such as the 18 rd with the integral base versions for my 228, & just 1 15 rd 226 I figured that I would add an X-Grip to. Well as we know now, that apparently isn't feasible, at least without any modifications anyway. Honestly though it's not that big of a deal as it only hangs a miniscule amount, not really enough to get concerned about.I'm almost ashamed to say it here, but since my Retirement a few years ago, I've haven't been carrying any of my 4 Sigs, as my Glock 26.3, combined with my Kahr PM9 for back up tend to handle all my immediate needs. I only honestly bought my P.226R-DAK .357/.40 as it was my final Department issue handgun prior to Retiring, so it's kind of like a tribute to my 32+ years of service to my Department. The P.229R-DAK .357/.40 I bought before as a carry gun, & my cherished P.220 I had since the very early 1990's, even before we transitioned from S&W M-64's to the P.226 .40. So, even though the only one I still use in my 220 to Qualify with, I have a very difficult time thinking about parting with them !! THANKS AGAIN Gents, I truly do appreciate the kind offers of assistance.

Best regards, Dom P.

posted Hide Post
I just wanted to say a BIG THANK YOU to the Forum, & of course to 'D. Steve' & another who so kindly offered to personally assist me in solving my Magazine Base dilemma. Gentlemen your help was very much appreciated !!

Best regards, Dom P.

posted Hide Post
Hi Steve, Many, many THANKS for your prompt delivery of the replacement Mag Bases, it was very much appreciated. I just opened the envelope now, & although I can't get to it until tomorrow, as per my visual inspection, they should work perfectly as yours are indeed slightly smaller, just enough to allow them to snap over the X-Grip adapter. I will of course report back to update you on my progress. Please stay tuned,

Best, Dom P.

posted Hide Post
OK, Steve, THANKS to you I now have a new, properly fitted with adapter on my P.228 ! What's nice is that even though the Mag with X-Grip only adds around .25" to its height, I now will have a full 16 rds on tap,[ 15 + 1 ] instead of the previous 13 + 1. This will be be 'carry Magazine' for now, unless I feel I may require additional rds, & will then go either 18 or 20, as necessary. THANKS AGAIN,

Best, Dom P.

MAGA
Picture of D_Steve
posted Hide Post
Glad that I could be of help.

"Let's Go Brandon"