SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Seems like an odd time to be dropping a new pistol brace.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Seems like an odd time to be dropping a new pistol brace. Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Magpul dropped a new pistol brace today. Seems like odd timing considering the ATF is likely
to drop their unfavorable ruling on braces in a couple months.
https://magpul.com/bda-arm-bra...?mp_global_color=118

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25408 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Some people believe their is a possibility the ATF provides some kind of amnesty for pistol braces (“A free stamp”). There will be an uptick by folks that haven’t completed their AR pistol builds to get something.

If you look at these, they are cheap to make. Magpul probably spends less than $5 dollars to make and market.

Never let a good crisis go to waste.

Posts: 28 | Location: FL | Registered: February 19, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you have a stamp why would you ever use a brace? The NFA cluster that will result for having to process possibly tens of millions of new form 1's boggles the mind. I can't imagine how the ATF thinks they might do it. The only strategy that seems remotely possible is you submit your F1 and then you have permission to use your current braced configuration until the ATF gets around to either approving it or denying it. They are processing around 600K NFA applications per year with waits that are probably averaging close to 9 months on average. but say its less like 6 months. 6 Million new applications (probably the low end) would make that 5 years. I can't figure out how the ATF thinks they can manage the paperwork of their technical decision.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
I think anything ATF does to outlaw pistol braces will get shot down in the courts. Maybe Magpul feels the same way.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I believe it has several features that play better on the ATF D&D character sheet that was floating around.

Posts: 9956 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
it takes years and years to win in court on a large scale. And other administrative rulings (that at least to me arevATF mistakes on the law) like bump stocks have not been shot down by the courts.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
it takes years and years to win in court on a large scale. And other administrative rulings (that at least to me arevATF mistakes on the law) like bump stocks have not been shot down by the courts.

Bump stocks were never as common as pistol braces. Hopefully, a court challenge will lead to an immediate stay in enforcement of the new rule, until a final court decision.

Posts: 270 | Location: Iowa | Registered: April 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bnz42:
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:

Bump stocks were never as common as pistol braces. Hopefully, a court challenge will lead to an immediate stay in enforcement of the new rule, until a final court decision.

Plus the fact that bump stocks can be seen as sinister, while pistol braces appear to be innocuous.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
exactly how does that make any difference under the statue involved. The ATF is making sh** up in either case. The common use language has not been the core argument of those challenging the bump stock ban. And I suspect (we won't know till the ATF drops the final rule) that it won't be part of the pistol brace suits. I personally think that after the statutory case the ADA is the best attach, but that's me.

His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
I think anything ATF does to outlaw pistol braces will get shot down in the courts. Maybe Magpul feels the same way.

I sure hope you're right. I'm thinking the same way; someone's going to have to take up this cause.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19645 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There will be plenty of people ready to sue on this with standing. The problem is at what level and in what jurisdiction it gets adjudicated. It took 3 years for the bump stock ban to get to the SC (they denied the case). If your strategy is the courts I think you will be waiting quite a bit.

Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
Here is an interesting video from a Supreme Court bar member and the bump stock ban cert being denied. His opinion on the denial of cert and the fact that there were no judges who dissented which was unusual. His opinion is the court is waiting for a better avenue for Chevron deference to eliminate agencies ability to make law.

Start vid @ approx 5min.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3XR2D5ZKFY

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
I think there will be quick action by the courts on this one given the volume of these that were already legally purchased. Plus there are states like Illinois where it is illegal to own an SBR so what will the people in those states have to do?

Posts: 9737 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
All warfare is based on deception. Hence, when able to attack, we must seem unable; when using our forces, we must seem inactive; when we are near, we must make the enemy believe we are far away; when far away, we must make him believe we are near. Hold out baits to entice the enemy. Feign disorder, and crush him.
– Sun Tzu, the Art of War

Posts: 15886 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackwater
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grumpy1:
I think there will be quick action by the courts on this one given the volume of these that were already legally purchased. Plus there are states like Illinois where it is illegal to own an SBR so what will the people in those states have to do?

I completely agree. Amnesty (pardon) is reserved for criminals and not citizens who have been following the law.
With millions of braces (ATF est 4mil, and others est 10-40mil) in circulation, a 90 day time frame for the ATF's so called "amnesty", it would takes years for the ATF to process Form 1's.

Joe

Posts: 2525 | Location: Az | Registered: October 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post