SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Concealed Carry.....forward or rear cant?

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Concealed Carry.....forward or rear cant? Login/Join 
posted
Having developed arthritis in my right wrist.....I'm having to reverse my carry mode. I've always carried with the forward tilt.....but, now....I can't bend my wrist far enough to properly engage the grip. So, I've reversed my holsters (that are adaptable to reverse cant) Is there any safety issue involved here, and does any of you carry with the rear tilt?

-----------------------------------------------------------------
Sig protects my life, home, and family....."God guards my soul"

Posts: 1477 | Location: owensboro, ky | Registered: December 01, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Seems like it would adversely affect concealability. In the 1970's I recall some competition holster set up like that.

Might want to consider AIWB (appendix carry), if your wardrobe would accommodate it.

Posts: 4670 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: June 29, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
My competition holster is a forward cant Milt Sparks from the mid-70s.
Have you tried a cross draw to help with your wrist angle?

PC

Posts: 1336 | Location: NW Wyoming | Registered: November 23, 2014Report This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
I prefer cant for all positions except AWIB.

Posts: 13808 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I've thought about cross draw......I have an IWB Paddle DeSantis, that I've tried on the outside of my left hip. It's actually Pretty comfy....I'm leaning towards that.....now, that spring and summer is approaching.....concealibity will.become an issue.....thanks for the input.

Posts: 1477 | Location: owensboro, ky | Registered: December 01, 2008Report This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CQB60:
I prefer cant for all positions except AWIB.

That right there.

OWB 4 o clock it tilts the butt of the gun up into the 'dead space' in my TShirts and coats to allow me to conceal a bigger gun more easily. My G2- all but disappears in this position and I imagine my g34 will too when I get that holster. Straight drop is nice for training and range but around here a slight view of the gun can be bad. But it doesn't necessarily need as much cant as iwb IMO.

Iwb at 4-430 requires cant for me to get a clean draw.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: jcat,

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Report This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

For any OWB, I prefer no cant at all, straight drop. It is what I compete with, and makes for a seamless experience. Personally, I cannot tolerate IWB, and in AZ we have no problem concealing, or not, any OWB carry. Laws in your state may dictate other considerations.

Posts: 10785 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't see any safety issues in the method you're speaking of. I've tried it myself but didn't like how the gun presented for me. Of course I didn't give it 100% of my attention ad it quickly found it's way out of my training.

Have you thought about a more forward position with a straight drop holster or even an appendix style setup?

quote:
Originally posted by wayne229:
Having developed arthritis in my right wrist.....I'm having to reverse my carry mode. I've always carried with the forward tilt.....but, now....I can't bend my wrist far enough to properly engage the grip. So, I've reversed my holsters (that are adaptable to reverse cant) Is there any safety issue involved here, and does any of you carry with the rear tilt?

Posts: 874 | Location: NE Pennsylvania | Registered: December 10, 2009Report This Post
posted Hide Post
The ideal degree of cant will vary for each person, but all else being equal, the position on the hip makes a difference. The traditional FBI cant is at its best behind the hip, and somewhere around 0300, straight-drop/vertical becomes better. Then, somewhere around the appendix position, a bit of rearward cant can start to become desirable, and as one passes the centerline, rearward cant starts to become necessary, for most folks.

The height of the holster upon one's body can affect the above-described equation.

A bit of rearward cant helps me at the appendix position, as evidenced by my really liking my new George holster, for the G19, made by JM Custom Kydex dot com , and a Kramer Crossdraw version of the Vertical Scabbard for the SP101. If the holster rides a bit higher, however, straight-drop vertical is OK as far as just right of centerline, as evidenced by my Trex Arms Sidecar. (This last holster is not the most concealable for many folks!

For a frame of reference, my chief limitation is my ailing right rotator cuff. I am otherwise quite flexible, with relatively long arms and a relatively short waist. I do, however, wear a carpal tunnel splint much of the time, which inhibits flexibility while it is in place, and gives me an idea how my right-wrist arthritis might limit me in the future. (When out out and about, if wearing the splint, I wear a second substantial gun at waist level, for lefty access; I am reasonably ambidextrous with handguns, actually a natural lefty who chose to carry "primary" on the right side for several practical/tactical reasons.)

Have Colts, will travel

Posts: 3188 | Location: SE Texas | Registered: April 08, 2008Report This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks guy's....I spent a couple hours at my local range today......shot a little, but....practiced a lot. I took my 229 & 239......I took a Sig kydex paddle and a Blackhawk paddle.....what I found out is; OWB appendix carry at 1:30 seems to accommodate my needs....I also picked up a new concealed carry fanny pack holster.....leather, lightweight, thin, holds weapon and two mags.....wallet and flashlight adapter. So, for now.....I'm gonna concentrate on 1:30 appendix. Thanks for sharing your ideas....much appreciated.

His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Unless it is a dedicated cross-draw holster, I can think of no reason to have a butt-to-the-rear cant.

Posts: 27944 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Report This Post
posted Hide Post
I would think that most of us carry either with a forward cant or no cant. Maybe you can get something custom made with a rear cant or whatever you need exactly. I can't think of any safety issues unless you live in a state that penalizes you for brandishing. A rear cant, I think would make the grip visible but I don't really know. I would definitely get in touch with a holster maker and see if they can accommodate you. Sorry to hear about your pain.

Posts: 1241 | Location: OHIO | Registered: December 21, 2001Report This Post