SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Un-braced SHTF pistol project
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Un-braced SHTF pistol project Login/Join 
Do---or do not.
There is no try.
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cslinger:
When was the last time you heard of somebody who didn’t specifically put themselves in the situation need to employ a long arm or mass amounts of ammo to egress?

I’m not trying to be an ass nor would I ever deign to tell one what they want to own or carry is wrong. I am just being practical.

That said I would imagine your normal carry pistol with a few extra in case shit mags would be more then enough. If you want to build a specific in case shit bag / pistol any of the big full size guns would fit the Bill. Glock long slides or duty sized, CZ75s, Beretta 92s or Storms, etc. etc.

If it were me I would run one of my HK P2000’s or P30 with 17 round mags. Easily, concealable, plenty of firepower and most importantly they are my carry/house/go to guns so I am comfortable with them.

I'm with cslinger on this one. A rifle would be great, but would likely take too much time to pull out from wherever you had it in the car, quickly exit the vehicle, and start shooting your way out of a situation.

I would also stay away from extended magazines or aftermarket extended magazine baseplates. In a bail-out situation, they're only one more thing to catch on your clothing, or an outside car mirror, or a fence. Accidentally bumping the extended mag hard might make cause a feeding problem. And if you have a jam and have to drop an extended magazine, you just put much-needed ammunition on the ground. Use factory mags that you know feed properly.

Posts: 4503 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SAS sling method is always an option. SIG MCX (Rattler or longer barrel pistol) would be a good choice. Remove the brace. Who knows what else the DOJ may come up with on requirements (e.g., no "rifle" sights), so put an ANVL-mounted RMR or similar "pistol" sight on it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: MagnumU,

Posts: 694 | Registered: March 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
need to employ a long arm or mass amounts of ammo to egress

I don't think of a 'get home' bag as an item that has anything to do with egress. Egress is exactly whats on my person and immediately available, one doesn't go into a 'bag' to deal with that. I want the stuff one needs to survive on an extended mission to get home. And that might mean on foot or whatever. In the areas I might be stuck dealing with that I want the option of a rifle. And more ammo than I carry on me personally normally. And its easy enough to do that. FWIW.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11009 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post