SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    New Sig P322 in .22lr
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New Sig P322 in .22lr Login/Join 
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
My local store is an Elite dealer. They received just seven. Picked mine up yesterday and will take it to the range this weekend.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member, Gun Owners of America & Member, Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2828 | Location: Tucson, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of tonelar
posted Hide Post
is a hammer stronger than a striker? i apologize if someone already brought this up…

20rnd capacity in 22LR is about time

quote:
RIPbiker13:
...even a .22 in your pocket is better than a .45 in your truck.

Posts: 702 | Location: El Paso, TEXAS | Registered: March 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I am waiting for the Custom Shop Bling for twice the price
quote:
Originally posted by Challer:
Clearly we should wait for the Legion version!

“Let us dare to read, think, speak and write.”

John Adams

Posts: 283 | Location: Land of 10000 Taxes | Registered: March 19, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tonelar:
is a hammer stronger than a striker? i apologize if someone already brought this up…

20rnd capacity in 22LR is about time

Internal hammer fired. Good quick read with a lot of pictures at this link.

https://www.gunsamerica.com/di...ypes-of-ammo-review/

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not a firearms engineer but 22 takes a hefty strike to set off primers. I’ve always read strikers don’t lend themselves well to rimfire actions. I suspect it’s also why this is a SAO gun. This gun would have a very heavy DA pull to ensure ignition. In today’s striker trigger market that doesn’t sell. So they made it a SAO that looks like a striker gun to the uninitiated would be my wildly uneducated but probably correct guess. So yes, a hammer can deliver more force with the same spring poundage.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
^^ Wouldn't the only difference be in the weight of the striker and the weight of the hammer? Or is there something about arc of the hammer that brings significant leverage to bear in striking the primer?

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well in my mind you can put a pretty hefty mainspring in to power a hammer. I’ve seen 20lb springs before. On a striker your springs are nowhere near the power of a hammer guns mainspring.

For example pull your Glock apart. The spring that actually powers the striker/firing pin is way smaller than what a DA gun has as a mainspring. The physics of the spring directly firing the striker vs the spring powering the hammer transferring energy to firing pin certainly might be more efficient but I doubt it makes up for a heavy spring. Which once again is why you don’t see striker fired 22’s. You need more authority than the striker assembly springs can apply without getting unwieldy.

I could be wrong on all the above but I think I got the gist of it correct.

Posts: 7348 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This new Sig P322 looks very good with generally good reviews.
However... I, for one, am reluctant to buy a new-to-market gun from any manufacturer for at least one year of real 'field' track record - issues usually do come up and corrected. Case in point the problems with the introduction of the original P320 and the P365.
Just my 2 cents.

Posts: 178 | Location: Florida | Registered: January 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The original 320 worked great. Just don’t drop it.

I picked up a bunch of cheap 320’s after that fiasco. I just sent them in for the mod, easy peasy.

It’s a 22. It’s a plinker. Ant nobody using this fairly big 22 for SD, not on purpose at least. It’s a simple hammer fired gun. Not much to beta test. Buy with confidence. It it breaks they will fix it and worst case is you have a broken gun while plinking. Not exactly earth shattering.

Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:
I could be wrong on all the above but I think I got the gist of it correct.

I believe you are correct.

Being able to design a handgun with a single action only trigger that uses a much more powerful mainspring than other designs’ springs is something that occurred to me long ago in thinking about guns like the 1911 versus SIG Classic line pistols like the P220.

Mainspring power obviously directly affects how much force is required to compress it. In an SAO gun, that force is provided most of the time by the recoil activated cycling of the slide. In a gun with a double action trigger like a P220 or even (to a lesser extent) a Glock, part of the compression force is provided by the shooter’s pull on the trigger, and therefore the spring can’t be too powerful or the pull weight becomes excessive. A powerful mainspring affects the single action pull, but to a much lesser extent and can be mitigated by the sear engagement.

In a gun like the P320 pulling the trigger does not compress the striker spring before letoff, but it still seems to me that using a striker spring with as much power that is possible with a gun like the 1911 would be difficult and perhaps introduce other complications.

In any event now I’m wondering why something like the P322’s hammer fired mechanism couldn’t be used in centerfire pistols. Is it because no one thought of doing that when designing the P320, or—perhaps—“Glock uses a striker system, that’s what everyone expects these days, and that’s what we’ve got to design our gun around as well”? It’s been said that the P322 has a manual safety because of its SAO trigger, but the trigger operation of the P320 is really no different and is technically a single action only mechanism as well.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47366 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I apologize for not reading the entire thread. I have 700 rounds down range with my P322. Great little gun and I have already recommended it to friends.
New Guy BTW

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 26, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
How much did you guys pay? I saw 3 people in this thread saying they had one but nobody said how much they paid outside of the scalpers on gunbroker.

Posts: 10199 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Might find this interesting.

https://old.reddit.com/r/SigSa...ll_after_a_grueling/

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I found a couple things interesting. First, that guy shot way more rounds than I would if it was constantly malfunctioning. Second, he shot way more rounds than I would have if it was deforming the frame. Third, those comments. It’s like the short bus comment section of a gun forum. Guys who literally don’t understand what rimfire means. Fuck, it hurt my head to read through them.

I wouldn’t call those stovepipes either. Those were live rounds that got crimped. So it’s a magazine issue. Somehow during the cycle it’s ejecting the spent case, and stripping the next round and nose high getting it stuck.

That’s not what what I would call a stovepipe. Those guy sound like idiots. Maybe they aren’t. I’ll still buy the first one I see, that Reddit stuff wouldn’t stop me.

I’ve had rounds do that before. Beretta Bobcat. Shitty mags. I sure would have liked to see this happen to figure it out. Seems like a mag issue if it’s legit or not something silly like a mag spring installed backwards or something.

posted Hide Post
My kid sent me the reddit video. The frame damage seems very odd, almost like the dude dropped it or threw it down.
And yeah, the comments were amazing.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16005 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jester814:
How much did you guys pay? I saw 3 people in this thread saying they had one but nobody said how much they paid outside of the scalpers on gunbroker.

Scheel's shows $399

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Looks promising.
Had a few 22 pistols i can get rid of.
Going to give it a try. Got on a few notify lists.

Shooting more 22 lately so I'm a little excited to see how it pans out.

Posts: 1652 | Location: SC | Registered: December 10, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by pedropcola:

I wouldn’t call those stovepipes either. Those were live rounds that got crimped. So it’s a magazine issue. Somehow during the cycle it’s ejecting the spent case, and stripping the next round and nose high getting it stuck.

Didn't watch the link yet.
But (I agree), in all the videos I've watched previously were the above happens, they have said it was due to an improperly loaded mag.
In one video, there was feeding issues and he later stated the mag was faulty. One out of several that he was using that day.

I'm with you, I see, I buy.

Posts: 10045 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
In any event now I’m wondering why something like the P322’s hammer fired mechanism couldn’t be used in centerfire pistols. Is it because no one thought of doing that when designing the P320, or—perhaps—“Glock uses a striker system, that’s what everyone expects these days, and that’s what we’ve got to design our gun around as well”? It’s been said that the P322 has a manual safety because of its SAO trigger, but the trigger operation of the P320 is really no different and is technically a single action only mechanism as well.

Colt 1903 Pocket "Hammerless" is basically the same thing. Mr. Browning thought of it first. The 1911 has an external hammer because the Army wanted one, otherwise it might have been internal like the 1903.

Why a striker on the P320? Because striker designs are simpler and cheaper to manufacture.

Posts: 4690 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

My P322 had me scratching my head in first couple of magazines at the range.
The mags aren't single stack obviously, but they aren't exactly double stack either. In the pic you can see that the rounds are staggered not stacked.
If you push each round in while loading the magazine the cartridges will be forced into the "staggered" stack. If you pull down the follower and drop the cartridges in they can go in nose down or pile up on one side or the other and they WILL NOT feed.
I found that I could assist with the follower while pushing the rounds into the magazine it was easy to get it right and the mag fed very reliably.
Mine came from Scheels and was $421 out the door.

Posts: 2 | Registered: March 26, 2022Reply With QuoteReport This Post