SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    Range day with new Glock, shooting low - why
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Range day with new Glock, shooting low - why Login/Join 
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted
I have a lot of Glocks, I shoot them well. I'm no super star John Wick, but I can generally shoot well. Took a bunch of pistols to the range today with my new Gen5 G17. It shoots a couple inches low at 21 feet. I even brought it in to about 4 feet, shoots low. I shot my other pistols:

Sig P365XL - not low
Glock 48 - not low
G19 Gen 4 - not low
G19 Gen 5 - not low
G34 Gen 5 - not low

I am very willing to accept it may be me, but its only with this specific pistol. I have had 17s before, never had an issue, in fact my old gen 3 I used to shoot very well which is why I missed it and wanted a new one. Nothing else was shooting low. The G34 is the same grip, so its not like something new. I was using the same ammo with every one, Speer Lawman 124gr.

Thoughts? What could I be doing different with this one pistol?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
Does it shoot where the POI is behind the dot when aimed correctly?

Seems like Glock (like SIG did/does) arbitrarily puts sights on that either shoot POA/POI, or "combat sight picture".

I have a Gen5 G19 MOS that is POA/POI. A co-worker has one and it his rounds impact behind the dot. He decided to spend a few bucks a get a taller factory rear and is good-to-go now.
(IIRC, Glock has 3 or 4 difference rear sight heights.)

Posts: 12542 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What Snake207 said. I've seen Gen 5 G17s come through my agency with different rear sight heights. Don't have it from Glock itself but word is they have been known to change the rear sight to achieve the desire POI.

My preference is the Truglo Tritium Pro set for my Gen 5 G17, as the POI is right on the top edge of the front sight when using Winchester Ranger 147 JHP.

Posts: 1251 | Location: Oregon | Registered: March 18, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
I am covering the "X" with the front sight, which is how I shoot most of my Glocks. It is shooting lower than that, by a couple of inches at 21 feet.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10729 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why struggle with it and pose unanswerable questions? I would go to Dawson Precision and get sights on their Perfect Impact program.
https://dawsonprecision.com/gun-sights/

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
What sights do you have on your new G17.5? Ameriglos? The OEM plastic crap?

As Snake posted, someone probably put on the wrong sight height when it was being assembled. If you want to determine if it's the sights or the gun, then swap sights from one of your other Glocks. If the sights make your G19/G34 shoot low, then you know it's the sights.

If the sights from one of your known Glocks corrects the aim on your G17, then problem solved. If it still shoots low, then you probably have a bigger problem.

If you don't want to go through that much trouble, and you have the crappy plastic sights, then take a file to the front sight and file down the sight to your desired height to raise POI.

If you have some good calipers or a micrometer, then you could also remove the rear sights from your G17 and G19, measure & compare sight heights.

Posts: 3186 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
This is the issue I had with gen5 Glocks. Once I put gen4 sights on them, it was fine.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my experience, Gen 5 Glock pistols need Gen 1-4 dimension sights, and Gen 5 sights have a taller front, and hit low for me. Not sure what sights you have?

Posts: 186 | Registered: September 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Does it shoot low when someone else shoots it? I’ve been shooting hand guns since 1972. I’m fairly confident I know what I’m doing by now. A few years ago I bought an HK P30. The thing was off. I was convinced it was the gun. I had HK CS email me a shipping label to return it for service. Just before I packed it up I took it out one more time and discovered it was actually dead on. Somehow I was not doing my part.

Not saying that is what is happening with you, but letting another experienced shooter try it might be revealing.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29701 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:
I have a lot of Glocks, I shoot them well. I'm no super star John Wick, but I can generally shoot well. Took a bunch of pistols to the range today with my new Gen5 G17. It shoots a couple inches low at 21 feet. I even brought it in to about 4 feet, shoots low. I shot my other pistols:

Sig P365XL - not low
Glock 48 - not low
G19 Gen 4 - not low
G19 Gen 5 - not low
G34 Gen 5 - not low

I am very willing to accept it may be me, but its only with this specific pistol. I have had 17s before, never had an issue, in fact my old gen 3 I used to shoot very well which is why I missed it and wanted a new one. Nothing else was shooting low. The G34 is the same grip, so its not like something new. I was using the same ammo with every one, Speer Lawman 124gr.

Ive owned and shot a few Gen 5 Glocks which shot low. Swapping the .180 height front sight for a shorter .165 height addresses the issue.

Posts: 528 | Location: Texas | Registered: March 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HCM:
quote:
Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

Sig P365XL - not low
Glock 48 - not low
G19 Gen 4 - not low
G19 Gen 5 - not low
G34 Gen 5 - not low

Ive owned and shot a few Gen 5 Glocks which shot low. Swapping the .180 height front sight for a shorter .165 height addresses the issue.

This is why forums exist and we all don't automatically call a vendor and spend a lot more money.

Unless poster is using the driest humor of the month, in which case yes, there are quite a few now who think paying more money is the only cure to fix a problem.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post