SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    What can you tell me about this Colt 1911
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What can you tell me about this Colt 1911 Login/Join 
posted
Colt Government Model
Series 80
9MM
Full natural stainless
Wilson Combat upgrades (not verified) for competition

Serial# NN03***

One of the good ones or pass?

Found this one online, serial is a couple hundred from it.
https://www.gunsinternational....cfm?gun_id=100542360

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Excam_Man,

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The non specified "competition" stuff would make me hesitant to buy it.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16083 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Depends if it has WC upgrades BY Wilson or Joe Schmuck scabbing on WC parts.

Posts: 3287 | Location: Florence, Alabama, USA | Registered: July 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
Purists seem to favor the 70’s series, just saying.

Posts: 6156 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sourdough44:
Purists seem to favor the 70’s series, just saying.

True but a Series 80's unique parts can be removed essentially reverting it back to a Series 70 configuration. A shim or different hammer may be required as part of the conversion.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16204 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
It's impossible to render any kind of verdict based upon the information given.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jim Watson:
Depends if it has WC upgrades BY Wilson or Joe Schmuck scabbing on WC parts.

I believe he stated it was sent to Wilson for the upgrades. The SW plastic box had a WC stick on it (I know means nothing).
I don't think he did it himself, as he didn't know wether it was a 70 or 80 series.

I don't know much about them either, but asked an old guy (who I know would know how to check it), then I verified it to be an 80.

I'll see if he has an invoice for the work.

I don't know much more than that. Other than he stated he had over 1700 in it.

7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
The 1st 1991A1s were black parked steel guns offered at a low price new. They were a good basic 1911 with plastic trigger and arched plastic MS house. The upgrades mentioned in this GI ad are from Colt as the 3 dot sights are factory. The lowered ejection port is factory also. I believe any custom shop would have back chamfered the port also. Be interesting to know what more you learn. Being it is in 9mm is just too cool. I've seen both satin and bright stainless Colts in .38 Super and owned one of the first run of stainless Colts in 45 ACP but I've never run into one in 9mm. Its a cool gun.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: David Lee,

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
I can say the addition of that link to your post makes it a little confusing lol.

I was looking at the ad thinking “where is he getting this from? It doesn’t say any of those things?”

Posts: 21105 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Yup, the linked gun is just similar model to what Excam_Man has found. Would like to see the actual Colt. The SW box mentioned is confusing.

Posts: 17900 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Honestly, I'd buy a new Colt Competition S/S in 9mm. I have one I bought when they first came out about 3 years ago. It has the F/O front site, beavertail, lowered ejection port, VZ10 grips etc. and it's less than $1000. The gun is put together better than any of the old Colt's I have or have had (about 1/2 a dozen). The barrel bushing fit and slide to frame fit rivals my WC and Ed Brown, trigger is very crisp albeit a little heavy at around 5lbs or so. The trigger does have a little up/down play and grip safety a little side to side, but it's an excellent shooting gun and really tight. Colt has been putting out really nice 1911's in the past 5 years. A 9mm government is a great shooting 1911.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
If the gun has actually had trigger work by Wilson, it should be evident in feel. It will lack any of the factory takeup and have a crisp break.

The series 80 added a transfer bar and activated the firing pin on the pull, the factory left some slack in it and it was slightly less crisp with some takeup compared to the 70's. However, the fanbase found it egregiously horrible and bad mouthed it - compared to a worked over competition trigger, which was their standard. A factory 70 series trigger wasn't all that straight out of the box.

If it can be dry fired it will tell something about the level of work in it.

Posts: 613 | Registered: December 14, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Would like to see the actual Colt. The SW box mentioned is confusing.

I'll email you a photo of it. Looks like the one in the link, but has a different slide stop lever.
The blue plastic box simply has a Wilson Combat logo sticker on it. Which could have been placed there by anyone.

posted Hide Post
I may have missed it but what is the seller asking for the 1991 chambered in 9mm?

Prior to COVID a 1991 was selling for at or below $800 so unless the price is comparable I would recommend finding an unaltered 1991 and getting the upgrades you want rather then the upgrades the seller wanted but that is just my two cents.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Negotiable 1K or less.

I thought it might be better than a new Colt, but this thread isn't spinning in that direction.
Without further documentation, it seems I should continue looking.