SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Pistols    How, With What, Do You Label Your Pistol Mags?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How, With What, Do You Label Your Pistol Mags? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I've long known it's a good idea to number your mags so you can keep track of usage, in case one gets wonky, etc., but I never got around to it.

More recently I ran into a different kind of problem: Went into my safe and realized I'd gotten a little (?) lazy/sloppy. There were mags sitting out in random places all over the place.

That's when I realized I had a problem. As I started picking these up I'd go "What the heck pistol do these go with?!?!

Oh boy

Plus I may get into one-or-another practical pistol shooting competition thing and I believe I'll occasionally be dropping mags on the ground doing reloads. I've read you're expected to leave them there until after the course-of-fire and pick them up afterward. So identifying yours might be a good idea?

"Permanent" marker won't work, I know. On the polymer mags for my Kimber Rimfire Target I tried labels from my Brother label-maker. Those look neat and clean, but ISTM there's a chance those could come loose at a Bad Time and cause trouble with reloading. So that may not be a great idea.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Metallic silver Sharpie.

The metallic Sharpies are paint pens, not traditional ink markers.

It's decently long-lasting, but it'll still wear off over time. It happens gradually, though. Just keep an eye on them, and touch up the markings as needed.

(Standard black Sharpies do still work on some magazines, like parkerized/phosphated magazines. Basically any textured and lighter-colored magazines.)

Posts: 32509 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Pretty much like this. I use either Skilcraft or Testors paint markers.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Different base pads for different pistols.

Posts: 9152 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Yes, metallic Sharpies.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Never marked any of my mags (probably several dozen by this point). I may have to look into these sharoies. Seems like a good idea, if for nothing other than making life easier in case someone else has to dispose of my collection some day.

A Perpetual Disappointment...

Posts: 2739 | Location: BFE, Ohio | Registered: August 05, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For the sharpies I find the solver is the best for marking mags. It’s not permanent by any means but it’s pretty good and easy to reapply.

I have applied wife’s nail polish on base pads before. That is pretty close to permanent but it’s a pain in the ass. Silver metallic Sharpie.

Posts: 7474 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
Hopps#9 does a decent job in removing the paint/sharpie if you ever need to re-label them.

Posts: 7422 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also use a silver Sharpie and use Hoppe’s 9 if the need arises to remove /modify it. Let me add that on my GLOCK 9mm range mags (19 & 34) I use blue sims mag baseplates.

Posts: 756 | Location: Orange County, CA | Registered: December 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a paint pen come in may colors (I use white or orange normally) and last a very long time. I would guess (but I've never had too) that a little contact cleaner would remove it, but really can't see why.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of vthoky
posted Hide Post

I have access to the laser marker at work. Cool

God bless America.

Posts: 13503 | Location: The mountainous part of Hokie Nation! | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I was making little labels but have now been using a silver sharpie. Much easier and lasts awhile.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8020 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I use a label maker for my mags. and holsters. It's a more expensive way of keeping track but I like the neatness of the labels because my printing is terrible.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Orive 8
posted Hide Post
I've been using a silver sharpie.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Tomorrow's battle is won during today's practice.

Posts: 1898 | Location: Collier Twp, PA | Registered: June 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Metallic silver Sharpie.

Same

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15254 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Sig mags are color coded with a dot of paint
On the bottom , You can see which mag goes with what gun quickly, it also helps identify it as your mag if someone picks it up, during a match or on the bench with other shooters gear.

Numbering has worked well using a silver sharpie
Or on occasion a target paster on the bottom with a note or number written on it.

My Revolver speed loaders have their tops colored with model paint then a Black or Silver Sharpie number on that.

RC

Posts: 1941 | Location: Indiana | Registered: March 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
34" Scale 5-String
Picture of bronicabill
posted Hide Post
I use a white paint pen... or should that be "Caucasian" paint pen? Anyway, I tried gold and silver Sharpies, but they didn't hold up near as well as the paint pen does, so I've stuck with it!

Posts: 4585 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: December 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sharpie also has some extra fine paint pens you can get at most craft shops.

Posts: 380 | Registered: March 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Another vote for silver sharpie. I like that it's fairly temporary so I can re-number if I toss a mag without having to scrub on them. Also gives me some metric of how much use the mags have seen since marked.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by vthoky:
I have access to the laser marker at work. Cool

Yeah, work tools can be handy. I used to have access to a milling machine.

One of the disadvantages of being retired.

quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
I was making little labels ...

quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
I use a label maker for my mags...

Neither of you ever had a problem with the labels coming loose or scrunching-up and interfering with the mag dropping or insertion?

quote:
Originally posted by marksman41:
It's a more expensive way of keeping track but I like the neatness of the labels because my printing is terrible.

Eh, it's not that expensive and it is a lot neater.

Otherwise it looks like it's paint pen or silver sharpie.

Thanks, everyone, for the feedback.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post